5 point harness on a stock seat (picture inside) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2013, 10:56 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

5 point harness on a stock seat (picture inside)

Hello guys. Can I run a 5 point harness with this style of seat? Car will probably run low to mid 11's. I don't want to get to the track and have the tech inspector to say. I also want it to be safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seat.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	341.2 KB
ID:	73744  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostcelica View Post
Hello guys. Can I run a 5 point harness with this style of seat? Car will probably run low to mid 11's. I don't want to get to the track and have the tech inspector to say. I also want it to be safe.
Down to and including 11.50 seconds E.T. in the quarter mile (about 7.37 in the eighth mile), a racer can run with a stock lap belt/shoulder belt system and any kind of OEM or aftermarket seat, bench or bucket, that is secured to the car. This assumes that the racer has enough sense not to use an unreinforced plastic/poly kitchen chair.

At 11.49, the racer must install a minimum 1 3/4" diameter, minimum 5-point rollbar (not to be confused with rollcage, which becomes necessary at 9.99 and can use smaller 1 5/8" tubing). He can still use any OEM or aftermarket seat that he wants to, as long as it is properly secured to the car. At 11.49 and quicker, the racer must install an SFI-approved 16.1 seat/shoulder/crotch belt arrangement. If the racer uses a stock OEM seat, the crotch belt may be routed around the front of the seat. If using an aftermarket seat, the belt must come up through the seat bottom in the vacinity of the driver's gonads. In either event, the belt must be anchored behind the center of the driver's chestline.
I have gigged several thousand racers for this violation, anchoring the crotch belt out if front of the seat where it will do absolutely no good from a protection standpoint. When installing the belts, driver should sit in the seat and mark a place directly under the driver's gonads as the anchor point for the crotch strap. Do not install the crotch strap any further forward than this point. If you are anchoring the crotch belt through sheet metal, install a large (like 3" diameter), thick flat washer on the bottom of the floor to prevent the connection from pulling through the sheet metal. If the tech inspector is worth a damn, he will be looking for this large flat washer.
Reading through this wiki tutorial that I wrote several years ago will help you to understand the geometry involved.....
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...legal_roll_bar
Scroll down here to Section 20, page 18, where the section 4:10, Rollbar begins and read through the section thoroughly. Some of the verbage may have changed between the time I wrote the wiki article and this 2012 NHRA Rulebook link......
Here's an 1/8 mile to 1/4 mile E.T. conversion that may help some.....
Eighth-to-Quarter Drag Racing Times
Old 05-04-2013, 06:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thank you very much for he info tech. It is much apperciated. My original plan was to get a plastic racing seat and install it every time I go to the track but apon further thought I realized this would become a pain. After reading your post ill just run the seat I have as it sounds totally acceptable.

Thanks again
Old 05-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

I just realized I didn't link the Rulebook.....
http://www.highschooldragracing.org/...A_Rulebook.pdf

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.