5 speed tranny with forward shifter? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2003, 04:48 PM
Skateboard On Steroids

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

5 speed tranny with forward shifter?

Hey folks, cool little forum you've got going here! My first post, here goes:

I'm building a 66 Triumph Spitfire with a Ford 302 V8, Jag rear end, and appropriate frame and body mods. I want to link a 5-speed in there. Obvious choice would seem to be a T5 configured for the Ford bellhousing, but the only T5's like this I can find have the shifter mount waaaay back. Because I'm shoving the engine as far back as I can, this would put the shifter behind my shoulder!

Now T5's are made for Jeeps with the shifter right on top, but they're set up for Xfer case mounting, with no tailshaft assy. Chevy S-10's used a T-5 with a foreward shifter, but these are configured for whimpy 4 cyl engines and won't handle my torque.

So, my questions: Is it possible to mix-N-match T5 parts? Say, take a S-10 tailshaft/shifter assy and bolt it onto a Mustang T-5? Maybe beef up the gearing and do something about the bellhousing pattern on the S10 tranny? Any other suggestions on how I can do this? Are there other forward shift T5's I haven't mentioned? Maybe some tranny other than a T-5? I know the 3550 comes with 3 shifter locations, but that tranny's huge and I'm already out of tunnel space.

ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2003, 07:45 PM

Last photo:

I did sell a guy a tail housing off a S-10 so that he could do just what you are talking about. He had a Griffith(sp?). 289 powered. He was using a Mustang WC T-5 and needed the shifter farther forward. I'm thinking the housing was a bolt up deal. The only thing I could see him having problems with, is the speedo gears. The output spline count on the Ford trans wasn't the same as the Chevy so you couldnt use the S-10 speedo gears. I don't think the Ford speedo gears would fit the S-10 housing either. Dan
Old 08-13-2003, 08:09 AM
Skateboard On Steroids

Last photo:

Thumbs up Thanks Dan!

Fantastic, that's what I was hoping to hear! I figure I can pick up a trashed S10 tranny for peanuts and start playing around with it to see what mates up to what. I'm not real concerned about speedo gears, I can always rig up some way to drive the speedo. Thanks!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.