5 speed trans - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2006, 11:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

5 speed trans

Hope someone can give me some answers to my questions. I have a 57 chevy hardtop with a 327 small block and a super T10 Borg Warner 4 speed trans. My numerous questions are as follows. What would be the easiest conversion to a five speed trans, and what work would it entail? This car has an original style bench seat. Would this be a problem for the shifter? would the trans tunnel have to be reshaped? would the driveshaft have to be modified. Could I get this five speed from a wrecking yard,and what could I be expecting to pay for this trans? Also could I use the same stock clutch set-up or would I have to switch to hydraulic clutch throughout bearring?
Thanks for any help you can give me

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2006, 03:00 PM
Loud Pipes Save Lives

Last photo:

A Tremec 5 Speed is one option. You can find out more info about installing one in a Tri-5 here.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:44 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Welcome to the site

T-5s will adapt to the stock bellhousing and clutch with an adapter plate.
Looking at the knowledge base on this site, you should find a link to a T-5 site that lists all the trans code numbers, torque ratings, and what they came out of. Code # on the side of the trans and on a tag= such as 187, 204, etc.... are the number you need. It is also ink stamped on the drivers side of the transmission in black letters about 1/2 in high.

Finding a decent World Class transmission out of a Camaro or 90+ Mustang (300 lb ft rated) should not be difficult and about $ 500 give or take.

Stock T-5s in Mustangs take a lot of abuse at the strip behind heavily modified engines. The # 1 thing you need is a PRO 5.0 brand shifter. # 2 is synthetic ATF fluid. Experience has shown that the T-5 can take a beating and keep on ticking.

A T-5 will fit your floor, but the shifter will be about 2 inches farther rearward than you would prefer. Using a tail housing from a S-10 pickup T-5 will move the shifter several inches forward for a neat installation.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:53 AM

Last photo:

I just installed a Tremac TKO600 in my 65 Beaumont. I had to do some trans tunnel surgery to fit but it was fairly easy and cut the driveshaft to fit. Otherwise it bolts up to the stock bellhousing and uses stock clutch linkage and crossmember. I bought mine from Keisler Engineering and they were very helpful. You buy them as a kit and there are something like 8 shifter positions so your should be ok with the bench seat. I gained almost 10 mpg on the highway with this trans (.64 od)

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.