Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   5-star clear (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/5-star-clear-68540.html)

staircasesurfer 08-21-2005 12:09 AM

5-star clear

i went to get some quotes on paint, and one paint shop said they use 5 star clearcoat on a sherwin-williams base, First off has anyone heard or used 5star clearcoat? second are they any good? or third is it a generic name for high qualty clear?

the quote came to 1800 by this shop, another 1600 plus around 500 for wetsand/buff, but they use slikkins paint, they both seem like good shops but the first one the people seemed more freindly and a slighly larger cleaner shop. are these fair prices, check out my website and see what you think

my website
http://my72skylark.bravehost.com/

thanks

mrcleanr6 08-21-2005 07:17 AM

5 star is a pretty popular off brand. like most paint companies they have both higher quality and economy clears. the pro 2000 is one of their top quality high solids clears. a friend of mine uses it at his work all the time and he loves the stuff. i myself haven't used it.

shoddy_f-body 08-21-2005 10:29 AM

I used it about five years ago on a rebuilder.It died back pretty bad and was hard to get a shine to stay up. Its definately an 'econo' brand. It may be better now.

67goat 08-21-2005 10:52 AM

ive been using it on spot repairs because it dries so fast even with slow hardener , im not sure about there hi solid clear, i know i cant get around the vehicle fast enough to do an overall with it, and yes it will dieback on you in some cases, thats why i only use it on spot repairs, i tried to paint a honda , black, and use the clear man it dries toooo fast, it is what it is an economy clear!!

BondoKing 08-21-2005 03:57 PM

Its a cheapo bro, it is in the same category as Marhyde clear.... I think you are better to go with the other shop or supply them with some spi clear to paint your ride... I saw your post at autobody101 but the server is down now and I could not respond.. Look at this link... http://www.crashsupply.com/cgi-bin/c...ory/ml=15.html

As you can see you can buy a gallon of some of their clear for 37.10.... you be the judge

BK

staircasesurfer 08-21-2005 11:04 PM

thanks man, i was serously thinking about using spi clear, i have used their epoxy primer and its great, im going to the paintshop tomorrow i will tell them not to put that clear on my car, they are using sw ultra 7000 base unless i want different , what type of clear from spi should i get to give to them ( i dont really care about price b/c spi is very reasonable)

beemdubya 08-22-2005 12:04 AM

Universal clear from spi...

staircasesurfer 08-22-2005 12:06 AM

is that their best clear, (what about the hs, ms clears?)

beemdubya 08-22-2005 12:11 AM

Theyre all good.. but the universal seems to buff better and u get more for the buck since its 1:1 ratio.. u get 2 sprayable gallons for a little more then a gallon and a quart of the hs clear and the ms clear i think is 3:1 ratio so u get even less.

staircasesurfer 08-22-2005 12:31 AM

ya i went on their website, i can get a gallon of universal clear for the same price of the inferior 5star clear :thumbup:

n66ht 08-22-2005 12:36 AM

Alex, the SW U7000 base coat is good stuff, use it all the time. Just keep in mind you're in a 2.1 voc area so make sure the clear you prefer is compliant. Most shops in So. Cal. will not risk using a non compliant product in thier shop for a few bucks. SW makes very nice clear but its rather pricey. Most of the 2.1 voc quality clears are as well. Talk with them and tell em you want a good quality clear and that it would make or break the deal. for the difference
in price they may say ok.
Ray

beemdubya 08-22-2005 12:38 AM

Just put the spi clear in blank cans hahhaa...

staircasesurfer 08-22-2005 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n66ht
Alex, the SW U7000 base coat is good stuff, use it all the time. Just keep in mind you're in a 2.1 voc area so make sure the clear you prefer is compliant. Most shops in So. Cal. will not risk using a non compliant product in thier shop for a few bucks. SW makes very nice clear but its rather pricey. Most of the 2.1 voc quality clears are as well. Talk with them and tell em you want a good quality clear and that it would make or break the deal. for the difference
in price they may say ok.
Ray

i will see what they say about using a 4.2 voc clear, what about the 2.1 VOC HS Clear anyone try it, however there are no prices on their website

maybe barry can help me out, howbout changing the label on universal clear to that of the low voc clear :thumbup: i promis i wont tell anyone, just kidding i would understand why anyone would never do this its a :nono: :nono:

mrcleanr6 08-22-2005 05:40 AM

i always use universal. never tried the hs clear as the solid content of the universal is already extremely high and i think the hs is only a couple % higher. the low voc hs clear should be fine for you.

BondoKing 08-22-2005 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrcleanr6
i always use universal. never tried the hs clear as the solid content of the universal is already extremely high and i think the hs is only a couple % higher. the low voc hs clear should be fine for you.

I agree, I think you could use any of his products without problem including the v.o.c compliant clear..

BK