Hot Rod Forum banner

50/50 Antifreeze

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  kleen56 
#1 ·
With summer arriving, I'm planning on changing out my antifreeze. Any pros or cons to using the premix 50/50 antifreeze versus regular antifreeze? Anyone using WalMart brand?

#5 ·
I use the wal-mart super tech brand all the time and it works great for me. My trucks both take about 4 gallons of antifreeze if engine is all new. I use three 50/50 mix and one regular mix when doing this. You want to have some distilled water mixed in with your antifreeze if your going to use straight and how much is up to you but you at least need some. I used to run straight antifreeze and during the winter time when it was really cold up in ohio it would be like syrup and when I use the above mixture its not as thick looking. I am no expert on this sort of thing.

#6 ·
We are in a pickle at the shop level when repairing these late model cars we have to put the "proper" coolant/Antifreeze in the customers car or warranty's can be void. A 2012 Toyota needs the proper blue (or what ever color, I forget) and so we have to buy the proper coolant. It seems every single make has a different color! We have cabinets full of half empty coolant bottles because of this! It SUCKS, for years you had green coolant and that was all there was to it. Now every damn car has a different color! Now, we know it's all BS and put any coolant in and it would be fine. But the manufacturer is playing hardball and if you bring in your Mercedes with a blown engine for warranty it better have the pale blue coolant in it or you are in trouble! Soooooooo we put the pale blue coolant in it for our customer.

Honda is a 50/50 mix and even the aftermarket is a 50/50 mix! What a racket!

Brian

#10 ·
We are in a pickle at the shop level when repairing these late model cars we have to put the "proper" coolant/Antifreeze in the customers car or warranty's can be void. A 2012 Toyota needs the proper blue (or what ever color, I forget) and so we have to buy the proper coolant. It seems every single make has a different color! We have cabinets full of half empty coolant bottles because of this! It SUCKS, for years you had green coolant and that was all there was to it. Now every damn car has a different color! Now, we know it's all BS and put any coolant in and it would be fine. But the manufacturer is playing hardball and if you bring in your Mercedes with a blown engine for warranty it better have the pale blue coolant in it or you are in trouble! Soooooooo we put the pale blue coolant in it for our customer.

Honda is a 50/50 mix and even the aftermarket is a 50/50 mix! What a racket!

Brian
not what a racket, it's smart.
it takes user error out of the mix. and if I am warranty'n that engine for x amount of miles, I want the correct amount put in..WHY you think most new cars have no dipstick for the transmission.. user error.. and it's another royal p.i.t.a. but I see why they do it..
power stear fluid the same thing.
at one time they had green anitfreeze and at that time most people brought the car into a shop.. then came the DIY autoparts stores. and anybody with zero automotive training can work on a car.. were back in the green only antifreeze days most took the car to a shop ,or to a mechanicly inclinded buddy family member..
now anyone can go on line and look up engine coolant and think they can change it, most times leaving air pockets..

#8 ·
I thought the 50/50 was mixed with 'bitters' or something like that, instead of distilled water. I thought I had read a while back that even distilled water, while better than tap water, will still cause some electrolysis with the metal in the engine due to the block being part of the ground circuit. I tried to do some googling on the subject but didn't get any results. Perhaps the higher cost of the premix 50/50 is not without benefit.

#11 ·
I thought the 50/50 was mixed with 'bitters' or something like that, instead of distilled water.

I found some information on this. It's true that 50/50 mixes contain "bitters" The bitters are added so pets and kids don't drink the mixture. The original antifreeze has a sweet taste to it and appealing to animals and even children, but has deadly affects on animals and small children when consumed. Thus they added bitters so it doesn't taste good.
As far as the mixture, I also found that "Prestone" uses mineralized water in their 50/50 mix. The minerals are removed which have corrosion properties. Not sure what distilled does????:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.