Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   50% Off Snap-On Tools. What to get? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/50-off-snap-tools-what-get-76070.html)

SilverFocusZX3 12-14-2005 05:30 AM

50% Off Snap-On Tools. What to get?

Hey everyone I was just wondering what everyones personal opinions were about getting Snap-On tools at 50% off. I am a WyoTech student and we get 50% off of tools for graduation. So I can purchase any snap on tools I desire for the shop that I am going to be working for after school. The thing is I dont really care if its snap on or not as to me its all just a name. My REAL QUESTION is with this discount what tools do you consider are a MUST GET at this deal for the collision/refinishing field? Like are their hammers and dollies really better then what I can get from lets say like the autobodystore.com?

DV8 12-14-2005 08:07 AM

A must have!!

I would take a real good look at getting a set of sockets both 1/4" and 3/8" drive most anything else craftsman would do. But Snap-On sockets are hands down the best. IMO

oldred 12-14-2005 03:02 PM

Silver, I can assure it is more than just a name. You will hear it both ways but I know from experience that Snap-Op makes the strongest tools made, period! I will probably get clobbered by some for making such a strong statement but I, and a BUNCH of mine mechanics here, will stand by what I said because we push our tools to limit and sometimes beyond and Snap-On has held up better than anything we have tried. Get all you can afford because if you do not take advantage it while you can you will come to regret it later not because it's Snap-On but a deal like that is too good to pass up with ANY good name brand. Don't let it get away! :)

302 Z28 12-14-2005 03:16 PM

Snap On tools are first rate, but be careful. I have been out of the auto mechanic business for some time, but I remember when the local dealership hired some mechanics straight out of TSTI (Texas State Technical Institute). These guys showed up with Snap On boxes taller than they were and crammed full of tools. They were in hock up to their necks and their weekly pay check just about all went to the Snap On tool man. Spend what you can afford is very good advice. Things come up as you move into the work force and you may want to finance a car or even get married at some point. That will be difficult to do when you are paying off $15,000 worth of tools.

Vince

matt167 12-14-2005 03:17 PM

Get yourself Snap on Sockets wrenches and any other hand tool you might need at least. even with collision/ refinishing you will still do light mechanicle repairs, becuase of collisions you will find yourself replacing a radiator from time to time, stuff like that. I can get 50% off snap on industrial from my local BOCES in which I'm enrolled in Automotive Technology. I do know that the gear sets in snap on ratchets can be weak but they are warranty covered. take advantage of that discount.

SilverFocusZX3 12-14-2005 03:18 PM

I will look into the socket sets they have for sure.

One of the main ones is Hammers and Dollies? At school we only have Snap On ones. Does someone else out there make a real good set that is comparable or better?

61bone 12-14-2005 05:07 PM

50% of Snap-on tools? I think you could get 5-10 for receiving . :)

matt167 12-14-2005 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverFocusZX3
I will look into the socket sets they have for sure.

One of the main ones is Hammers and Dollies? At school we only have Snap On ones. Does someone else out there make a real good set that is comparable or better?

if the price is right get them, got to figure at 50% off, it will be hard to beat the prices comparing to Craftsmen S&K ect... most snap on stuff is only 10-30 bucks more than Craftsmen depending on the tool so you'd be stupid not to get what you can

DV8 12-14-2005 06:11 PM

Body tools

A hammer is a hammer, a chuck of steel is just that a chuck of steel , dont waste your money on the basic body tools .I agree with you. Buy those tools from a autobody tool source. Buy your precision tools like sockets, wrenches and screwdemup drivers from Snap-on. Just like cars.. they all have 4 wheels get you from point A to point B, It's just nicer in a good car. A good tool will save you time and trouble.

fullnelson 12-14-2005 07:01 PM

Body Tools

I agree with DVS. Body tools are just body tools. You won't go wrong with just about any brand you buy, including Foreign made. Do yourself a favor and buy a inch pound and foot pound Torque wrench that will last a life time. If it doesn't, it will be replaced for free.

adtkart 12-14-2005 07:25 PM

I have been working on cars and collecting tools since the late 60's. If I was starting out, and had an opportunity to get that deal, here's what I would do. I would buy a good set of combination wrenches in each of the short and long versions. I would also possibly get a set of the ratcheting wrenches. The Snap-On wrenches are higher quality than the Craftsman versions. If you have the money for them now, it would be a good time to get them. I have had several Craftsman open end wrenches that have spread under severe pressure. As for the sockets, I buy Craftsman, and have all my life, with the exception of the impact swivel sockets, they are Snap-On. I use 1/4" drive most of the time, and 3/8" drive from time to time. I rarely use 1/2" drive sockets while doing body work, but they are sometimes needed for suspension and heavy bumper bracket types of stuff. As for the body hammers and such, everyone has their opinion. I have had guys tell me that they only use a certain brand, because of the balance. I really don't have that hang up with a hammer.

Don't go overboard on buying tools right out of school, and end up deep in debt. You will, hopefully, have many years to collect them.

Aaron

Rob Keller 12-14-2005 07:42 PM

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/what...ols-64218.html

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/who-...ols-74502.html

here are a couple of threads on tools
like Ive said before the basics are just that when it comes to the specialty stuff thats when you need the BIG BOY TOOL MAN Snap On Mac Corn well ETC..

tool storage is very important tools grow legs when your eye aren't on them

and a engraver and a set of stamps are priceless in tool security

If you plan on doing it for a life time this is a golden opportunity

good luck

SR66 :thumbup:

sha_ba_do_bang 12-14-2005 08:20 PM

I would get the Snap on Hammers but not the dollies. Also get the 3/8" socket set just metric for now. 99% of it is going to be metric and the older stuff is kinda rare, just depends on what kind of clients you have. If you have the money for sae get them because they are good to have.

I wouldn't buy 1/4" drive snap on because its like $500 for a full set. 1/4" drive sets dont see as much force as 3/8" so I have a 144pc SK 1/4" drive set that was like $125 from the MAC guy and he also has the warrentee.

I would get snap on wrenches and a snap on set of 1/2" impacts metric. also the snap on 1/4" drive low profile swivel sockets are the handiest things ever, get 10-15mm and you"ll be able to gte out all those hard to reach bolts.

One other thing, I have seen too many kids get out of school and buy this big *** toolbox but then don't have any money for tools. The tools are way more important, the boxes do look cool tho but tools are what make you money. Good luck

Brendan

fairlaneranch 12-21-2005 04:40 PM

as a bodyman I say GET THE SNAP-ON HAMMERS!! There is a difference!Start with the basics.Medium pick hammer,dinging spoon,general chizel tip(flat tiped)hammer and a doorskin hammer.The dollys are expensive but also worth it! A good toe dolly and a good heel dolly is a good start. Snap-on hammers are balenced and your wrists and hands will appreciate that! the dollys are precision machined and that means less work and better results.Make sure to keep there surfaces clean.I use wd-40 with a red scotch-brite pad.I would also buy a blue-point d-a,a Hutchins finishing d-a and a Hutchins Hustler air file(air board sander).These are all the best and will last you a life time if you take care of them.They are all sold by snap-on and all together will run way less than a G!!Also get the sockets and ratchets :thumbup:

batman09 02-24-2007 08:48 AM

Get as much as you can afford.I did the same thing when I was in a&p school.I still use them all to this day.bm