500 Caddy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2007, 03:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

500 Caddy

A buddy of mine recently traded his jeep for an '86 chevy short bed 4x4 with a 500 caddy motor....the truck has been restored but its just 2 muchs of a gas hog....he wants to pull the motor out and put in a 350...so i have the possiblilty of buyin the motor....my only concern is that ive never much in the way of performance parts for a caddy motor...i want to build it for my pulling truck but i wanna know whats out there for it....like intakes, heads or stroker kits and what not.....i was told that BB chevy parts would fit on a 500 but i dunno.....what is your guys opinion? i wanted a 454 but i cant find one....so what do you think is the better choice 454 or 500 caddy?? ...whats the adavantages/disadvantages of each...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2007, 05:12 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

BB chevy parts don`t work on a caddy. There are companies that sell parts for these monsters, but they aren`t cheap, as these engines are not very common hot rod engines. To make one wake up, it needs good heads from the late 60`s early 70`s 500, a small cam, springs that match the cam, a ported factory intake, double roller timing chain, and some attention paid to the oiling system. If you wanted to do more, you`ll have to upgrade the valve train, as the stocker valve train is on the weak side.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,146 Times in 945 Posts
There are a couple of companies that make performance parts for the big 472/500 lux barge motors. As DV said, the valvetrain is probably the weakest point on them if higher revs are part of your plan, but for a street motor with something like a 2.50 to 2.80 gear, they'll pull like a freight train. Lots of Chevy guys have been embarrased with a mostly stock Cad according to what I've read. See if you can contact the guy who did the engine swap into the pickup and find out if he made any internal mods to the motor.

http://www.cad500parts.com/
http://www.mtscadparts.com/Engines.htm

After looking over these sites, spend a dime on a phone call to them and pick their brain.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:18 PM

Last photo:

how would that motor handle with 4wheel drive with posi axles and 5.13s
Old 08-05-2007, 08:37 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

5.13s are going to rev it to death there a torquey engine but there not a high rever they are better suited to highway gears.
Shane
Old 08-05-2007, 08:43 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet4x4s
5.13s are going to rev it to death there a torquey engine but there not a high rever they are better suited to highway gears.
Shane
so that rules out the 500....a 454 can handle the rpms? i wanna make a 496 stroker if i ever find a 454 block...

Last edited by rhanshaw; 08-05-2007 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:08 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanshaw
so that rules out the 500....a 454 can handle the rpms? i wanna make a 496 stroker if i ever find a 454 block...
there a good engine but there not a 7000 rpm screamer you can also use a 427 block or even a 427 tall deck block and stroke it out to an eazy 540.
Shane
Old 08-05-2007, 09:12 PM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

I have been looking at some Caddy stuff. Here is another place..

http://www.cadillachighperformance.com/HomePage.html
Old 08-05-2007, 10:29 PM

Last photo:

it dont think it has to be a super screamin engine but i used to have a 350 bored .30 over and i hit 6500 rpms with a few times in the same truck....i keep gettin people who say keep it simple and go with a 355 and then u get the 383 stroker guys and then the guy whos live and die by the BB so i dunno...i just need sumthin that i can go out and have fun with and still be competitive with a chance to win.... what the biggest stroker kits for a 427 and a 454...
Old 08-05-2007, 11:22 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

You can find a common 427 Tall Deck engine that came in heavy duty work trucks, the decks are higher so the use of intake spacers or a tall deck intake comes into play, they will also require special headers since they sit higher so you may run into clearence issues. Stuff a stroker crank in them and long rods, and have a monster in cubic inches, and a monster power maker. I do believe several on this board has built one of these with very impressive results. Of course a aggressive cam and good high flow heads will be needed. We used to mud race and alot of factors come into play. when the mud is thick and has some depth to it in spots, we learned quickly run the narrowest tire you can, as there lighter weight helps and they lower the resistance alot by not pushing as much mud as wide tires do, wide tires also tend to "ski" out of the ruts. We also learned don`t gear it too low, as with the transfer cases 2:1 reduction and with low gears in the diffs, the wheel speed will be too low to win unless you shift to second and then you almost have to have a big block to keep the engine from lugging. We ran a 79 GMC high Sierra, with a slightly warmed 400 small block, 3.08 gears, 38 inch buckshot mudders in the narrowest tread we could get them in, 3000 stall converter (note: I`ve never seen a stick shift win in mud racing after 6 years of being involved in it) and a must have 4 wheel posi traction, any tire not pulling is dead weight which is the same as dragging it along. We have many 1st place trophy`s for our efforts, and several 2nd placers as well. The launch, wheel speed, narrow tires, all play a big role at winning in mud racing, Torque is also a very big factor. Good Luck.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:06 AM

Last photo:

Pick up a copy of Doc Fhromanders book on the Caddy engines, he list several build ups, parts interchange and has a lot of swap and mount info. If memory serves right you can use a Ford 460 intake with just a little massaging.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:24 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanshaw
how would that motor handle with 4wheel drive with posi axles and 5.13s
How tall of a tire?????
Old 08-06-2007, 12:44 AM

Last photo:

I have to agree with Chevrolet 4x4 The 500' for the most part don't rev high enough to be happy with the 5.13 gears.

Most of the trucks I have seen with 500s installed were used for towing with highway gears where they work great.
I am looking at putting one in my 71 GMC 2wd 3/4 but plan to go with 3.54 gears and possibly an overdrive.
For what you want I think you would be better off staying with the traditional big blocks.
As for finding an engine watch craigslist and the little nickel adds for a mid 70's pickup, suburban or possibly a sedan or wagon with a 454 in it. It's probably cheaper to buy a whole vehicle than to buy the engine by it's self. Just don't act too excited when you go to look at it or tell them what you intend to do.
It might take a few dozen wild goose chases but you should be able to come up with one and then just get rid of the left overs.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:44 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfOunce
How tall of a tire?????
just stock tires on 15 inch rims they are like 31s or sumthin i have no clue...
Old 08-06-2007, 12:48 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopt 48
I have to agree with Chevrolet 4x4 The 500' for the most part don't rev high enough to be happy with the 5.13 gears.

Most of the trucks I have seen with 500s installed were used for towing with highway gears where they work great.
I am looking at putting one in my 71 GMC 2wd 3/4 but plan to go with 3.54 gears and possibly an overdrive.
For what you want I think you would be better off staying with the traditional big blocks.
As for finding an engine watch craigslist and the little nickel adds for a mid 70's pickup, suburban or possibly a sedan or wagon with a 454 in it. It's probably cheaper to buy a whole vehicle than to buy the engine by it's self. Just don't act too excited when you go to look at it or tell them what you intend to do.
It might take a few dozen wild goose chases but you should be able to come up with one and then just get rid of the left overs.
ya thats what i was thinkin....cause by themselves they are $1000 but maybe ill get lucky and find an old beat up chevy with one for less than that...i found one in a old farm truck for $500 takes all but i was about an hr to late to buy it...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.