500hp chevy 350 run with 98-gas from my setup? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2009, 06:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

500hp chevy 350 run with 98-gas from my setup?

Hello! I just bought a 4-bolt chevy 350 truckblock. Want som help with get 500hp from it without nos or supercharger or turbo. Sry for asking the same question as everyone else but I want to keep most of my setup and run on 98-gas like we have in our pumps in Sweden. I guess it's the heads and the cam that need to be exchanged. All parts are really expensive in sweden and the range of aftermarket is relative small so please give me tip of heads cheap as possible and different that could fit.

Bore to 355, weighted and balanced with forged eagle rods and forged wiseco pistons (12:1 compressio?). Don't know the model name on the pistons, check the picture below.
Edelbrock victor jr. intake.
Holley 750cfm.
400-heads (I googled on the numbers and it was "the best of the worse")
And the cam was really agressive the salesman said, he didn't really know what cam it was.
Msd pro-billet distrubator, MSD blaster ss coil and MSD digital 6 box.

Picture:
http://www.ladda-upp.com/bilder/22091/350-block

Thanks for so long!

//Stefan

Advertisement

Last edited by Berres; 07-20-2009 at 04:52 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2009, 07:58 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Go for more cubic inches such as a 454. With a 454 you will meet your 500 horse goal considerably cheaper and with better street manners.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:12 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berres
Hello! I just bought a 4-bolt chevy 350 truckblock.

//Stefan
Roller tappet block or flat tappet block?
Old 07-19-2009, 09:48 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

You need to be aware that your "98 octane" pump gas will not support a 12:1 compression ratio engine.

Your european rated 98 octane (RON) is about the same as our 92 octane (RON+MON)/2 gasoline here.

You want to build a carbed non computer controled SBC street engine that has a cr of 10.5:1 or less for reliable operation on your premimum 98 pump gas.

12:1 is a bit much. 12:1 typically requires 104 to 110 octane gas using our north american R+M/2 rating method. (unleaded racing gas)

Your real actual compression ratio needs to be accuratly calculated by determining the required engine internal dimentions as shown on this online engine cr calc page http://www.wheelspin.net/calc/calc2.html

You won't make 500hp from 355cid with cheap "400 best of the worst" heads.

Think AFR or Brodix CNC ported heads and a fairly big street roller cam.

Without knowing the exact piston specs on your engine and going by your picture it appears that you could build for a aceptable streetable "pump gas" compression ratio by using a cylinder head with a 70-76cc combustion chamber.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 07-19-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:36 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
Roller tappet block or flat tappet block?

It looks to me, to be a early left dip block. Not a bad choice, but not exactly a good choice either.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsavvycook
It looks to me, to be a early left dip block. Not a bad choice, but not exactly a good choice either.
My bad, I didn't even look at the picture. If I had, I would have seen that the tappet bores weren't machined and there are no bolt holes for the spider.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

You need to be aware that your "98 octane" pump gas will not support a 12:1 compression ratio engine.

Your european rated 98 octane (RON) is about the same as our 92 octane (RON+MON)/2 gasoline here.

You want to build a carbed non computer controled SBC street engine that has a cr of 10.5:1 or less for reliable operation on your premimum 98 pump gas.

12:1 is a bit much. 12:1 typically requires 104 to 110 octane gas using our north american R+M/2 rating method. (unleaded racing gas)

Your real actual compression ratio needs to be accuratly calculated by determining the required engine internal dimentions as shown on this online engine cr calc page http://www.wheelspin.net/calc/calc2.html

You won't make 500hp from 355cid with cheap "400 best of the worst" heads.

Think AFR or Brodix CNC ported heads and a fairly big street roller cam.

Without knowing the exact piston specs on your engine and going by your picture it appears that you could build for a aceptable streetable "pump gas" compression ratio by using a cylinder head with a 70-76cc combustion chamber.
Thanks, that explained a lot of thing to me! Always wondered why USA just has 91-gas. I will try to find the specs on the pistons so I can calculate what heads ustion combastion chamber size would fit.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:57 AM

e

Thanks for helping! More tips on heads that can give me my 500hp is appreciate.

When I try to build my engine I will try to get all parts to work in the same rpm intervalve, right? I can't get a intake which is good for 3500rpm+ and a cam that works best in 1500-4500 and so on for compensate the high rpm intake with a low rpm intake?

Should I go for another intake instead for my victor jr? The victor jr. is working on high rpm, right? On the street I rather take a engine that will answer me quickly and get a good accelerate. Is the performer rpm a better choise?

Is it going to be cheaper to run higher compression ratio and go with race-gas to reach 500hp with cheaper heads insted for buying heads that give me the power? How it works to drive with higher compression and how much power will it get me? Can I just add additive to my pump gas or am I have to but race-gas or ethanol, methanol or something like that? We have gas with 85% ethanol and 15%gasoline.[/list]

Last edited by Berres; 07-24-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:22 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

We have gas with 85% ethanol and 15%gasoline

We call this "E-85". It can support a 12:1 compression ratio. But of you build a motor with 12:1 cr you will have to run this fuel all the time.

Requires a "E85 fuel" calibrated carb, and a compatable fuel system.
Achohol resistant with enough flow volume capacity to feed the engines power /fuel/ requirement. (Approx double capacity that of a gasoline engine.)

to make 500hp you will need the best CNC heads money can buy, 750++cfm carb, a racey roller .600" lift cam, big headers, big exhaust, big fuel system, the vic Jr will need internal custom port work.

This is a lot easier , cost effective (and street friendly) to do with a supercharger.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88
We have gas with 85% ethanol and 15%gasoline

We call this "E-85". It can support a 12:1 compression ratio. But of you build a motor with 12:1 cr you will have to run this fuel all the time.

Requires a "E85 fuel" calibrated carb, and a compatable fuel system.
Achohol resistant with enough flow volume capacity to feed the engines power /fuel/ requirement. (Approx double capacity that of a gasoline engine.)

to make 500hp you will need the best CNC heads money can buy, 750++cfm carb, a racey roller .600" lift cam, big headers, big exhaust, big fuel system, the vic Jr will need internal custom port work.

This is a lot easier , cost effective (and street friendly) to do with a supercharger.
thanks! E85 it's call in sweden too!
Sounds like it's going to be cheaper to run with gasoline and run with lower compression?
For going with supercharger I going to need to change pistons? Or did you mean to run with supercharger and E85?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.