Hot Rod Forum banner

502 BIG BLOCK

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  neil madsen 
#1 ·
Instead of putting like 4 grand into a 383 stroker.Wouldnt I be better of getting a 502 and slap on some good headers,intake,carb,cam,etc.. You would think that would tool any stroker out there.Just an idiea though.I just want to play with the big boys :D

#3 ·
I was going to buy a stroker motor also, and decided to go with the 502 in a '71 Chevelle.
The aluminum head 502 is not a great deal heavier than an all iron small block. From what I've seen and people I've talked to, dollar for dollar, you can't beat 500 HP and 567 ft. lbs. of torque (carb to starter) for under $7k. Headers are a little pricey and you have to have the drivetrain to back it up.

#7 ·
big block is like having an extra person in the car... only a couple hundred pounds... if you can afford building it for insane power it is worth it... or if you just want the potential you could build the bottom end and use crap heads and manifold and add on to it as you get more money

[ January 22, 2003: Message edited by: stonedchihuahua ]</p>

#12 ·
Yada yada far forward weight... yes I understand that but if you are smart you upgrade your suspension too... May not be the best for weight transfer but agian you can match with suspension upgrade... I turbo is a like 50 pounds (just a guess) why don't people worry abou this??? v-8 needs twin turbo if you wanna keep duel exhaust so there is about a hundred pounds... at least this is just the way I see it correct me if I am wrong

#15 ·
A small block chevy is like what? 550lbs? a big block 680? A big block with aluminum heads might be as light as a small block(doubtful)...but a smallblock with aluminum heads is even lighter. You will need to upgrade your engire front suspension to accomodate the bigblock. I think telling people that you have a 305 or 350 but really have a 383...then beating the crap out of them is better than telling them you have a 502. If you tell them that, then they will be expecting you to kick their *** . But with a small block , you will surprise them. I like the fact that my mustang still has the 289 emblems on it.

I think their faces after you beat them with a "305" would be pretty satisfying also.

#16 ·
Hahah thats funny cuz I am thinkin when I get mine together I am just gunna tell everyone that I have a 305 and that I put new valve covers on and cleaned up the pollution control crap
and neil the crate engines are cheaper than having someone build you an engine but really expensive compared to building your own

[ January 22, 2003: Message edited by: stonedchihuahua ]</p>

#18 ·
big/small old skool/new school torque is what gets you moving in big drag classes bigger blocks are norm one ride in mild big block compared to mild small block /same gears/trans would sell u go to local car show have someone with big block /small block take you for a ride my 69 fbird made my son a believer when i pulled bigger block454chev] and put in 400[chev]good hunting small block

#19 ·
Well while I used to buy into tha "it is better to beat them with a smallblock" routine,I have seen the light.I say it is better not to open your hood!!You can build a 500 hp 383,and it will have a pretty lopey idle and maybe be a little noisy under the hood,or you could build a 500 hp bigblock that sounded as tame as a stock 305 and still ran just as strong.I still follow street racing a lot,and smallblocks are the big thing right now,but it has gotten out of hand.Guys now build 440 inch smallblock with drysumps,SB2 heads and sheet metal intakes and call it a smallblock street car.I dont care how much they argue that I have a bigblock,I have a "street car".My car runs 10's on pump gas and has a moderalty choppy idle nd runs to 7000 rpm,but it is still far more streetable then these guys with their 15:1 race gas smallblocks that run 8000 rpm.So you can warm over a bigblock and have a pump gas friendly engine that will run 11's with a 2500 stall convertor and 3.73 gears,and will even run with the air conditioning turned on,or you can build a small block to run the same number and have a borderline race gas piece,that has too much cam to run with power brakes or airconditioning,and requires 3500 stall and 4.10's or more to go 11's.You do the math.Also remeber that if you wanted o step up in the future,a bigblock bottom end has way more potential.A forged piston cast crank 454 that spins 5500rpm can easily handle a 200 shot of nitrous and a trip to the high side of 6000 rpm for a short burst,but try adding a 200 shot to a strung out 6500rpm 383.You could build a 502 powered camaro that ran 12.0's with 3.55 gears and a 2500 sall convertor tha could be driven every day,and add a 200 shot and go deep into the 10's,and you would still have a ca with a blubblub idle,and pump gas compression.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.