503 twin turbo idea. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2005, 05:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

503 twin turbo idea.

Im thinking Im going to build a 409 stroker and now I have most of the pieces in place, tell me if you think it will work ok, or if i should go for a shorter stroke etc. 409 truck block (bored min to clean up) 4.25 in BBC 4340 stroker crank machined so snout is SBC dia, fly weighs machined to clear ( feathered edges taken down) stock lenght forged eagle H beam rods, I have to call or email Ross and ask if they can make a 8-8.5:1 piston for that stroke I have seen the 10-11:1 but I want to turbo this so that wont do, I plan on BBC steel splayed main caps, Heavily ported 333 casting truck heads( not my first choice but they might do) I have heard you cant put larger valves in 348,409 heads due to hitting the water jackets. Any one tried to put larger valves in these? it may just be a rumor I guess i could have it sonic checked to see what i have to work with. Even with stock size valves i think with enough boost i could fill my cyls. I think this block should be perfect for a turbo set up due to 6 head bolts per cyl, Any ways I dont know what cam I should go with theres not a whole lot of choices I have seen. I want something fairly radical but i want to be able to drive on the street, if this means a vac can then i guess that works, this will be a mostly drag engine, I plan on going with a small pickup truck, something light that i can do a lot of frame work on and tub easily, that and it should surprise the rice in town nicely. any way any holes in my idea, I probably left alot out if you have any Q's ask, I dont know if i should go with a shorter stroke to get quicker revs or if i should stay with the torque monster idea. I have herd of 500 hp out of 4 in stroke kits but am looking for more than that if i can get it. I am thinking of a custom Fuel injection set up and maybe stealing most of the parts off a 454 or similar engine and just doing a custom intake to incorporate the parts of the system i can use. Th400 with a stall, Ford 9 with 3.70-4.30 gears, Stainless custom headers, twin turbos similar to that of a Power stroke so around t44s. I have that written down at home just cant think of it now. Any ideas thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2005, 03:13 PM

banks power should help you with your idea,or you could just lay out the 30 large for a tt smallblock putting out a base of 800 hp like my friends customer did.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:34 PM

Last journal entry: More propane stuff
Last photo:

Here is a friend of mines Caddy.

Its a twin turbo big block chevy 200 mph + car
Old 02-15-2005, 09:15 AM
Your Basic Moron

Last photo:

You mean you intend to use a big block chevy crank on a 409? Are you sure the length of the shaft and cylinder spacing is correct for this application? I have never heard of anything like this... but if you have seen it done elsewhere on the net I would totally dig a link. Good luck
-matt ramsey
Old 02-15-2005, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by propaniac
Here is a friend of mines Caddy.

Its a twin turbo big block chevy 200 mph + car
that thing looks like fun to work on
Old 02-15-2005, 09:28 AM
Your Basic Moron

Last photo:

By the way, if you're worried about that bore:stroke ratio revving up, keep in mind it is only slightly lower than that of the new LS7 that redlines at 7 Gs in the new vette ZO6. I think the rev capabilities of that engine pretty much prove that the engine's ability to rev lies more in the camshaft profile and the air flow and spark accuracy than in the bore/stroke ratio itself. But the big stroke COULD mean you won't achieve as high a power at peak, and that the power curve may be more "pointed" if you know what I mean... the turbos won't help with that any, I'm sure.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:12 AM

just a stab in the dark but the LS7's high rev may have something to do with the titanium connecting rods and light weight forged crank and 11:1 CR too. Oh and it has a 15* valve angle and the gen III style intake runners. it's pretty stinkin cool! It actually has a lot to do with airflow because of how the gen III intake runners are designed...if the heads can't flow putting a high rpm cam won't do a whole lot.

personally I'm a fan of destrokers cause there's considerably less stress on the bottom end of the rotating assembly and they rev stupid fast. also to consider, the piston velocity is way slower on a destroker than a stroker at the same rpm. one of my friends had a NA 377 in his chevelle and that's one of the only cars that I've driven that's scary fast. If you go with a destroke, the turbo or turbos will more than make up for bottom end torque! Banks TT small block is based on a 400 bore/350 stroke and their pump gas engine is throwing 800hp down! 1,100hp with race gas.

just my 2 cents...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.