51 Chevy 2dr Hardtop Chop - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2005, 05:50 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

51 Chevy 2dr Hardtop Chop

I am looking to the board from some advice. I am preparing to chop my 51. I have done quite a bit of homework (Car Show, searched this website, purchased Tex's Chop Top book etc, talked to a few ole' timers etc.) and I am coming up with a big question mark.

OK, I realize that it is just about impossible to cut the rear glass on the my 51 and I realize that I could make a tray etc, but I am not too thrilled with that solution. So, let me tell you the way that I am thinking of going and I would love to hear your comments.

My thinking right now is to order a one piece rear glass for a 49-52 Chevy or a 49-54 Sedan Delivery and make a new opening etc. I have the tools, I have the time, I have the space and the skill (well I guess all I can say is that I am a fast learner). My plan would be to make a fiberglass replica, as per a previous post, and make the new opening and then lay it down to meet the chop. (glass cutting) My gut tells me that the 49-52 would be easier than the Delivery since it will be curved to the similar shape of the current top.

I realize that this is a tremendous amount of work, but I can't see any other way to chop the Hardtop. Any suggestions? Have you seen any particular rear windshields that look better than another?

I will enclose a rear pic of the 51. Please disregard the fuzzy dice, they are the previous owners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102-0204_IMG.JPG
Views:	479
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	8584   Click image for larger version

Name:	102-0205_IMG.JPG
Views:	555
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	8585  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2005, 06:09 AM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

how much of a chop are you considering ?

one of the easiest choices if its just a mild chop would be to leave the rear glass alone, and chop the "hump" above the glass so a sleeker profile

if i had everything reistalled on my comp, i would photoshop an image for ya ...

but heres a page with plenty of stock 51 chevy images, for anyone that wants a reference while thinking about how to answer your question ...

http://www.hotrodscustomstuff.com/Griffith-01.html
Old 12-23-2005, 06:57 AM

Last photo:

Cool link.

I thought about that, but I think I want to go with a 3" ish chop. I actually thought about cutting the lower forward corners of the curved side windows. You know, something along the lines of a pie cut that would allow me to pivot the whole three piece window down. The only thing that is hold me back is that selling the three piece rear glass would just about cover a new one piece. That being said, I haven't seen too many hardtops with the original glass, cut and laid down, but there might be a reason for this. This reason might be that it is too hard or just doesn't look right.

I quite a bit of experience with Stained Glass, but not with Safety Glass. I wonder if the diamond grinder that I use for Stained Glass would work with the Safety Glass?
Old 12-23-2005, 11:10 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
Ok, I have to say, there is NO WAY I would remove that rear window for a "regular old, run of the mill" sedan window. THAT window is one of the best features and MAKE that car a hardtop.

You can't cut any of the rear glass, it is tempered, not safety plate. You could however run plexi on the corners.

Brian
Old 12-23-2005, 07:58 PM

Last photo:

Brian,
Any suggestions on who could make the plexi corners? I must admit ignorance here.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:45 PM

Last photo:

Cut a pattern out of poster board. Use it to cut the plexi glass with jig saw. Heat the plexi glass in your oven at 350 for about ten minutes (as I remember) pull it out and set it in one of your old windows to cool.

Brian
Old 12-24-2005, 02:21 PM

Last photo:

Please look at this as an "educational opportunity" and not a questioning. On the three panes of the rear windshield there is a stamp on each pane. The stamp says "Solid Safety Plate" AS-2-V6. Is this a safety glass or a tempered glass?
Old 12-24-2005, 02:34 PM

Last photo:

It is Tempered if it says "solid", I have to assume. I don't remember seeing "safety plate" on anything but laminated but I just had a nice tall beer so I may not be thinking clearly.

Let me put it this way, I may not know what it says on the glass but all curved glass not counting the windshield on GM products are tempered as far as I know.

If you look at the edge you can quickly tell if it is laminated, it is actually two sheets of glass with a sheet of plastic in between.

Brian
Old 12-24-2005, 03:54 PM

Last photo:

Thanks, and that Tall Cold Beer sounds mighty tasty right about now.

There is a custom glass place not to far from me, http://www.e-bentglass.com/custom_auto.html . I am going to give them a call for giggles to see what they would charge for a custom pieces. It ought to be worth a few good laughes.

Have a Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith1279
Thanks, and that Tall Cold Beer sounds mighty tasty right about now.

There is a custom glass place not to far from me, http://www.e-bentglass.com/custom_auto.html . I am going to give them a call for giggles to see what they would charge for a custom pieces. It ought to be worth a few good laughes.

Have a Merry Christmas.
I would be VERY interested in hearing those prices myself.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.