51 chevy gasser stright axle with rack and pinion??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 07:26 AM

Last journal entry: before and after
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

51 chevy gasser stright axle with rack and pinion???

Hey guys got a question im building a gasser out of my 51 chevy business coupe. Just picked up an axle from a 1960 ford f100 it looks as tho I can make it work but the question I have is would going to a rack and pinion set up reduce the bump steer common with the traditional steering linkage? I want to build a fairly traditional gasser but safer is always a plus any gasser info would be greatly appreciated as this is my first one and I want to do it right. thanks , jake

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 07:33 AM

Last photo:

And o believe I just found the answer lol thanks guys any more info would be appreciated
Old 04-17-2012, 08:16 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

bump steer

Steering geometry can be tricky to get right when doing a lot of mods. With a side mounted steering box like on an old pickup, the drag link should normally be parallel and the same length to be mounted with the hair pin or rear of the spring mount center line . One of the The Boyd Coddington Books has diagrams when using a Cowl or high mount steering box. how all the pieces should be mounted to have the pivot points right. The Jacked up Jeeps and 4 X 4 's use different pieces to get the drag link parallel to the tie rod. MY old willys was scarry on rough roads , backin out of the gas on a turn..It wanted to change lanes..
Old 04-17-2012, 09:36 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

The steering geometry has nothing to do with the kind of steering box used..is the axle you have set up or cross steer (the rod from the box to the spindle runs across the car rather than fore and aft) ?

Sam
Old 04-17-2012, 01:09 PM

Last photo:

Yes it is a cross steer set up but by attaching the rack and pinion to the straight axle allowing them to move together and using a universal joint to line up the column. Now by doing that it will eliminate the effect of the steering linkage angle adjusting due to the vertical movement of the axle but in turn when the axle does move will it improve bump steer or make the problem worse?
Old 04-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

That introduces a whole lot of other issues when the steering box is attached to the axle with induced movement in the steering column..The stock ford geometry works fine so I would stick with that myself..

Sam
Old 04-19-2012, 06:17 AM

Last photo:

Thank you so much guys think im gonna stick with the cross steer set up from the ford. As I can tell now im about four inches too wide from inside the drums I don't necessarily have to take all of that out just need to get the tires under the fenders what im more concerned with is relocating the spring pads to fit under the frame rails ill be posting some pics later on today once again thanks for all the help

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.