51 Chevy IFS - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2004, 12:58 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 51 Chevy IFS

I have a 51 Chevy 2 dr and considering a Nova or Camaro front end. I do not really want to clip the frame, Has any one done this by just using the nova crossmember and suspension? Any tips?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2004, 09:58 AM
Kenneth Howard hates me...

Last journal entry: Engine mock up
Last photo:

Your '51 already has an IFS, It is the same suspension as the '53-62 Corvette. If your just looking for disc brakes, there are conversion kits out there.

C
Old 06-07-2004, 07:12 PM

Smile IFS

Fat 50; thanks for the reply. Actually, while it does have IFS it still has kingpins and a few other parts which may be costly to rebuild or replace. I am considering a small block and wonder if the stock steering components would be an issue. Power steering would be a plus with the SBC. I have seen several V8's and the only clean ones are running nova subs but I do not want to clip mine, if the stock steering is not a real issue I will use it.
Going to Goodguys this week in Indy, will check out a few.
Thanks, Don
Old 06-08-2004, 01:24 PM
Kenneth Howard hates me...

Last journal entry: Engine mock up
Last photo:

I've checked out several '49-54's running around the Detriot area with V-8's. There seems to be 3 main setups (lumping them into 3) Stock front, Mustang II on stock frame rails, and "clipped" front ends. The stock front suspension will hold the V no problem (the I6 is something like 41 pounds heavier than a SCB, go figure)
The Mustang II setups are pretty slick (you get discs, rack and pinion and easy parts availibilty) The stock suspension can be converted to disc ( I used ECI for the plates) but theres a warning about keeping an eye on the tie rods due to greater braking force trying to toe the wheels in on hard braking. And last is the "clipped" cars, some of them i would be afraid to have the drive next to me on the road, while others look like GM themselves did the conversion.

C
Old 06-08-2004, 06:54 PM

IFS

The thing that got me thinking about this was a FATMAN ad, They advertise a hub to hub setup starting about $1500.
Now that sounded a little pricey (being the frugal individual I am) untill I started trying to locate stock parts, and I need it all.

Rock and hard spot. = Don

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.