51 Chevy Truck Tilt Frontend - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2002, 06:29 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question 51 Chevy Truck Tilt Frontend

Hi I have had allot of cars over the last ** years and I have worked on many for friends. Now I have a 51 Chevy Panel that was an old convertion that I will be redoing I hope to keep this Panel for the rest of my time. What I have never done is put a full tilt frontend on any of the cars or trucks I've done. If there is anyone that can help and old man out with some info. on a 51 Truck tilt front would be appreciated. I will be sending in a picture to be listed so you will be able to see what I'm working on.

[ November 13, 2002: Message edited by: 51Panel ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2002, 12:52 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

51 what would you like to do, tiilt your existing steel nose or buy a 'glass nose. I can help with either just give me an idea of what you want and if you can weld and how much work do you want to do. Also, do you want to be able to open the hood?

HK
Old 11-13-2002, 04:45 AM

Hi HK,

Thanks for the reply. I am new at this board thing and I ended up sending you an e-mail I think. Anyway I would like any and all info. on but ways of doing the tilt. I can weld most anything after 30 years of repairing things in a sawmill. Ho yes I have done 5 custome cars over the past 20 years, but this one is mine and I plan on keeping it. Thanks for any help with the tilt.

[ November 13, 2002: Message edited by: 51Panel ]</p>
Old 11-13-2002, 07:32 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Thumbs up

I did a complete steel electric tilt front end on my 41 (pictured left). They're not that difficult and if you check my web site you can see some pics of the mounting and linear actuator the opperates it. If you have any questions just ask.

Centerline
<a href="http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com" target="_blank">http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com</A>
Old 11-13-2002, 11:53 AM

Hey 51 Panel;
I'm another oldtimer on this board, who has done a few of these things in the past. It's really not all that hard, and you'll have fun doing it too! Here's two things to get you going:
1. Look at usbodysource web site. They have good pictures on installing a tilt on many cars and trucks.
2. Take some pictures of the side of your truck. Cut out the front end, and use a pin to find the center of the hinge point. Keep playing with the cutout until you have found the exact placement of your hinge point. You can also make a "knee joint" hinge, which moves forward slightly, before tilting. You may also have to cut the front fenders horizontally, about 6 or 8 inches up from the bottom. This small piece of fender will stay bolted when the hood/frontend tilts. With a little work, you can minimize the gap.
Have fun!
The Old Gasser...
Old 11-13-2002, 11:58 AM
Returning American Maddman

Last photo:

The knee-joint hinge is a hot set up. I tilt all my front ends. My buds say it's my trademark. I just think it's cool and easy to work on! let me know if you need info!
Old 11-13-2002, 08:46 PM

Thanks Madd Syntst for the reply. I would like to know more about the knee joint hinge.

Gasser us old boys need to stick together. We have better storys than the young Guys anyway. Any help coming my way would be good.

Centerline I will be checking out your site.
Old 11-13-2002, 08:53 PM

Last photo:

51panel, I appologize for the late reply but I get lost often and forget what I was supposed/going to do. If you like I can write you up a pretty simple how to. Madds right, the knee hinge is the way to go. I might need a few days to write it, bit busy lately, but be glad to do it.

Madd if you get to it before I do I thank you.

HK
Old 11-14-2002, 11:28 PM

Last photo:

51, did that information help any? Let me know

HK
Old 11-15-2002, 06:42 AM

[Hi Halloweenking, yes the info. ways good and I will be happy to see the pictures when you start on the next one. I do like the idea about going forward a bit then tilting, I eould think you could get a very good fit that way. I was planing on using elect. truck locks and the merc. I/O tilt cyl. for the tilting of the front end. I will of course look at everything all of you bring to me before I do anything to the metal. Thank you all for your help and Ideas. If anyone has any real prints on this truck frontend or the hight spec. I would pay you for a copy. Thanks again for all the help, this is as I said the first time I have ever used a board to talk with anyone, now I have alot more friends to talk to.
Old 11-16-2002, 04:59 AM

Hi Centerline,

I looked at your web site. Now that is something you have put up. I looked a the Mustang front end you did, now I'm thinking I may not us that 76 Comaro frontend I have. Is there a way to get a complete list of the parts that are needed to do the job? You know you said I think 11 inch front disc, what would they have come off of? I don't have allot of money, but I have allot of friends that have all different kinds of parts, if I could get a list I could start finding what I need to do the job. Oh that right I was working on the front tilt wasn't I. Well looking at your site made me think of changing my mind on the front end. I want to thank you for the time you have put in to help others like me. It is a wonderful lay out and the time thing you putin with it is very helpful. I will be looking more as the truck goes on. Thanks again Centerline.
Old 11-16-2002, 05:07 AM

[Hi Madd Syntst

Yes please I would like any info. you could help me with. I looked at Centerlines web site and boy that is very helpful. I think I should look at allot of different ways that things have been done then put my little twist to it before I do it to my 51 Panel. I do want to thank everyone for the help and info. as this is my first time being on any board it has turned out to be a wonderful expereance. Please forgive my spelling. If any of you would like to give me a call my number is (1-360-274-7847 Washington State) I'm about 20 miles from Mt. Sant Helens.
Old 11-21-2002, 06:38 AM

Wink

Hi Gasser,

Please let me know if you have any more info. on the knee joint hinge! I would like to get all the info I can before I turn one bolt. Thanks
Old 07-28-2007, 09:07 AM

64 impala owner wants to flip the front!!!!

Hey guys i would really benifit from your knowledge of a front end tilt design utalizing the knee bent hinge. I have almost everything figured out but ive been searching for the best way to tilt the factory metal where the bumper wont touch the ground at a 90-degree tilt while keeping the fenders un-cut. If ive been reading this thread right a knee bent hinge would be exactly what im looking for. I havent found anything showing how exactly this hinge should be designed. If you guys could send me some information via e-mail It would really help me out. Thanks
Old 07-28-2007, 09:34 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Welcome to the board. You could have started a new thread, this one is 5 years old....Oh well
We don't "email" tech info, the idea is to share it with everyone.

So, look here...
http://hotrodders.com/gallery/showga...what/allfields

That is a 41 plymouth with a hinge that was bought from a company called L&S motorsports. They are no longer selling the hinge, so I guess you could plot out the points and fab one up.

This hood slides forward to let the lower back of the fenders clear the cowk sides, then tilts up using electric linear actuators. It was manual for several years though, we just added the electrics.

Here is a link to a short video of the hood operating
http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=PICT3541.flv

The "knee" action is accomplished by the lower pivot being moveable via its position on a lever that is attached to the hood as it tilts forward. As the hood tilts, the lever picks up the pivot point, letting anything forward of the pivot point, such as a bumper, protruding nose, etc, be raised.

This design produces about 4" of lift with 65 degrees of hood motion.

I have a better video of the operation, but I can't find it right now...

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 07-28-2007 at 09:39 AM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.