51 F1 ford chassis - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2004, 06:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

51 F1 ford chassis

What to put my 51 on a different frame. The front end needs replacing, I want disk brakes, and power steering, basicly looking for a rolling chassis without the body. I think this would be the better way to go, since I'm not worried about keeping it orginal. Anyone know what model truck it will fit? I was thinking maybe a 84 f150 shortbed?. Any suggustions? I posted this post in the wrong catagory, before I think, sorry

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2004, 06:49 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

That is one way to go. I did a little different. Used a Nova clip. You get your power steering, power disk brakes etc.

Can you post some pictures?

Budget RVs
Old 04-03-2004, 08:55 AM

Last photo:

hey, poncho62 , good looking truck

I do not have a digital camera, but as of now my truck is in pieces. It looks alot like yours in the second picture, same color and everything. I currently installing suicide doors on it. So, you cut the front clip out of a Nova and weilded it on the ford? Maybe I should look into that? Will any car's front clip work? Also worried I couldn't weild it back square . Any sugestions
Old 04-03-2004, 03:27 PM

Last photo:

A Nova or Camaro clip is basicly the same. The Camaro, may be a bit wider. They unbolt from the cars body, and you weld it to the truck frame. Getting it square is essential.. Measure, measure, measure, before you cut.

Budget RVs
Old 04-08-2004, 08:13 PM

Last photo:

Poncho, that is a sweet truck... I had a rough '48 F-68 and a '50 F-1, but I had to let them go. Sorry I did.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:10 AM

Last photo:

Hey, poncho62
Do you know if a mustang front clip will fit. And if so, what year model would be best.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:31 AM

Last photo:

I'm not sure of what years, I believe the mid 70s ones, are the ones that they use for rods.

I have reservations about using about it. Many won't agree, but I feel that the Mustang 11 (Pinto) front end is TOO LIGHT FOR A TRUCK OR BIG CAR.

Just my opinion, from what I have heard and read on the web. I have no experience with them, and I am sure that this will get some argument from others. But, thats why we are here, so we can get all sides of a story..............

Budget RVs
Old 09-05-2004, 08:53 PM

Last photo:

Adam, try looking into this swap, it might be easier and cheaper. Use a frame from a Chevy shortbed S10 or a Ford Ranger. Of course you'll have to modify the cab and bed mountings. With a S10 frame you can drop in a small block Chevy with no major problems. the Ranger will take a 289/302. This way you can get the benefeits of power steering/brakes. the wheelbase of the 50-52 Ford pick-up is 114". the Chevy shortbed S10 is 113". If you're just looking to add power steering, then look into a '84 toyota power steering box. It's almost the same dimensions as your stock steering box. you can get the mounting bracket and pitman arm from CCP (www.classicperform.com). The parts for a '53 will fit the '50-'52. Add a column from a '66-'67 GTO and you're good to go....
Old 09-13-2004, 09:33 AM
Low Phat

Last journal entry: Volksrod update
Last photo:

Another option you might want to consider is the Plymouth Valarie front clip. I know several guys that are running them under their F-1's and like the adjustability of the torsion bars. It is really easy to install too. I like the mustang II because of the narrowness, good performance, and availability of aftermarket parts. I used a 76 cross member on my pickup. I would recommend buying a aftermarket cross member if you decide to go this route. I have pictures of of my install on my project journal if you want to see what it looks like. I agree with Poncho that the camaro front clip is a good option. Around here camaro and novas are pretty much drying up at the bone yard so those front clips are getting hard to find. Even the mustang II clips are getting harder to get.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.