51 Ford Suspension -tubular a-arms? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2005, 07:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

51 Ford Suspension -tubular a-arms?

Has anyone ever seen or made tubular control arms (upper and lower) for 49-51 ford? been thinking about it instead of doing a front clip job. If I were to carry out this task of building it in kit form > (a-arms, bushings, conversion for rack/pinion steering, etc) would anyone be interested in such?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2005, 06:40 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Most rodders just clip or Mustang II them.

I have used JAMCo before and was happy with the results..

DEUCE......

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 07-28-2005, 07:37 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

If you don't want to go to the trouble of an MII suspension, Speedway makes disc brake conversions for the early Ford IFS (www.speedwaymotors.com), I think. Check their catalog on-line.

I don't think anyone makes tubular arms for these. As Deuce said, most people switch to a MII system if they want to dress up the suspension.

The suspension doesn't really show. As long as the stock suspension is in good condition rebuilding it will restore ride, and a disc brake conversion will improve stopping. Even if a kit isn't made it's not to difficult to install a rack and pinions steering to these cars -- the steering arms bolt off. Sometimes you need shorter arms to get the correct turning radius when switching to rack and pinion, the bolt off arms makes it easy to construct your own at the length you need. It's not hard to make a sway bar fit either, but will take some searching to find the bar that fits best.

MII setups are popular because they are relatively easy to swap in once you have the cross member figured out. Then you can get a large variety of parts easily and relatively cheaply because of the popularity. It's not necessarily BETTER. Price and popularity go hand in hand because of the number of parts sold. In many cases the double wishbone suspension being pulled out is actually better than the MII going in, but if you can't get the parts you want for the older suspension it's a moot point.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:05 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

rack it up...

Mustang II front end are cool... but our of my price range right now- money no object= it'd be done! But, I figured the same as you Farna; a rack conversion can't be too difficult.
I figure the car might benefit from adujustable tubular arms (improved unsprung weight and strength + some adjustablility). I think the the king pin front is way cool due to its strength over ball joints- seems to last as well.

Which would be better- rack on the front .. or rear of crossmember? I was thinking... reversing the hub mounted steering arms .. and inverting them to opposing sides- so the point forward ( if possible (have not taken apart yet))
then, mounting rack on front.

I want to put a tilt column in it .. and want to get the steering wheel away from my face- its like a 8-10inches from the dash. - thinking i can raise the hole in the fire wall(making new one anyway)... and shove a new column through ,.. reaching closer to the cross member - and joint it to the rack. therefore decreasing the angle that column points upward.
whichever way, What do you all suggest here? been trying to see what others have done.. but haven't found much. Not sure what length i'd need either.

the bushings are worn out on my car.. but i have not driven it yet due to the guy before me thinking it needed to be painted before fixing the 'flintstone' floor. .. and what a crappy paint job it is--

Anyway, on the front he air bagged it (dont mind) - in doing so he cut the top frame spring pockets.. and welded some home made shock brackets really poorly on... straight down the side of the frame.. so i hae to fix that too.

the car already has some sort of disc brake conversion- not sure what it is > single piston caliper hanging on front of disc - caliper bracket bolts interfere with brake line fitting, so the lines are all pinched?

the car is a mess really.. but i am excited about it and trying to get things done.

thanks
Old 07-29-2005, 11:06 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Doesn't matter if it's front or rear steer really. Where do you have room to mount the rack? Most front drive cars use rear steer (rack mounted high on firewall and steering arms high on the struts). For a front steer rack go to Ford Fox bodies, T-birds, and Aerostar van. You can use a tilt column from just about anything, you just have to devise your own mounts. I have an S-10 Blazer tilt column in my Rambler coupled to a 90 or so T-bird power rack and pinion.

Make sure you measure the original steering arms from your donor vehicle. You want the ones on your car to be close to the same length from center of pivot line to the tie rod end so you'll have a similar turning radius. Longer arms means less turning radius, shorter ones will turn much sharper (but don't over do it!). Because racks only move so far, the arms on R&P cars are usually much shorter than box type steering arms.

One more thing -- you need to have the Ackerman angle correct. That will also affect whether you want front or rear steer (usually best to keep it as original). In a nutshell, the Ackerman angle is measured from the center or the rear axle through the pivot point, in this case the center of the king pin. Before you take everything apart get a piece of string and fasten it to the center of the diff near the bottom. Now stretch that string to the front of the car through the center of the kiing pin. The tie rod end should be along that line. It may be a little off since your string is fastened 5-6" below the axle centerline. Try stretching to the tie rod end if it's off much. Your new arms need to have the tie rod ends along the same line. If not, left and right wheels won't turn at different but following angles. when going around a curve, the inside wheel needs to turn roughly 2 degrees sharper than the outside wheel (depending on wheelbase and width of vehicle). The inside wheel is making a smaller circle than the outside.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.