51" Wide 9" Rearend In A 68 Impala Pro Tourer??? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2010, 06:48 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks a lot to everyone of you.

The seller told me today that 51 is not from flansch to flansch but from outside the brake drum from outside the brake drum.

So I can forget about it I think : (

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2010, 08:01 AM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

That's what I understood you to say in your first post. I was thinking that it was 51 inches total, not flange to flange. That is why I thought it was too narrrow for what you needed. If it had been the width of the housing then you could have added 5 inches to that for axle hang out plus about 1/4 inch for brake drum thickness, which would have been pretty close for what you wanted.

I quickly measured the rear end in my Camaro again and it's about 46 1/2 total with 14 inch wide wheels and about 6 inch back spacing. The brake rotors add about 1/2 inch to the width.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:24 AM

Last photo:

Thanks tough for the info : )

I saw a 9" housing on eBay but it is a floating version and I dont know what all I need to complete it, it does not have any flanges at the ends.

Does anyone know more about that type of 9"ers?
Old 01-27-2010, 08:50 AM

51" Wide 9" Rearend In A 68 Impala Pro Tourer??? 1 way is the Right way

I hate to see you spinning your wheels.
Big Gear Head had it right - you must select your wheels before you know how wide the rear end must be. I'VE BEEN THERE - I installed a Nova 10-bolt because it was fairly narrow and common (read cheap) and then went shopping for a wheel that I determined the width of via cardboard template. The cost of the wheel went through the roof to get custom made!! Plus, it was NOT my favourite pick/brand!
If you are referring to the "9 inch ford floater rearend new 78-87 g-body malibu" on eBay from Quick Performance, the ad states it is a 60" and that they have 58 & 61s also. It is made to fit the GM Malibu body types '78 to '87. It is a GM/Ford hybrid housing - very strong, probably good to 1,000HP. A reg GM 8.25" 10 bolt is good for about 400HP, a 12 bolt for 500HP - all dependent on tire size/type.
FIND OUT WHAT WIDTH YOU NEED, USING THE WHEELS YOU CAN GET! This is not difficult. Any other method is a cart in front of the horse.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:09 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Strange that there is only one way to get a hot rodders challenge right. In fact there are many ways to skin a cat as long as you get the cat skinned. Some are just better or easier than others, but that does not make them necessarily right or wrong. Case in point: hannes has a fixed wheel well opening: he has the possibilities of a narrowed 9" Ford housing that is 51" wide from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface. He can do simple math to determine the back spacing he needs on a wheel to give him the wheel well clearance on the both the out side and inside of the tire of choice. Once this is done, then he has to determine if such wheel and tire combination is available to fit. We can talk rear end widths, custom made wheels for days and what the ideal way of skinning the mix and matching parts until our fingers are worn out. Our job is to see if what we have to work with will work, especially when you are on another continent that is not into the hot rodding scene like the good ole USA. If he finds out there is no way he can use this pre-narrowed rear end, then he can get his wheels and tires of choice to determine what width and where to located the 3rd member, assuming he has some one that can do this in his country.

Trees

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.