A-518 transmission questions - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2011, 10:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

the owner of the transmission shop has still not called me back, he said late tuesday that afternoon that the next day he'd pull it up on a rack and check it out and call me back and let me know what he thinks, here it is thursday night and still have not heard from him..... I drove by there shop tonight to see if my truck was in there shop or in the parking lot and it was in the parking lot.
I'm going to call him tommarrow and see whats going on, if he is still trying to claim its not the transmission, im going to say ok put the transfer case in nuetral and put the transmission in drive and or reverse and you will hear the same whining noise im taslking about, it cant be the rear axle making the noise when its sitting at a stand still lol.
Im also going to say i brought my truck to your shop in the first place because i was told you were the best transmission shop in town, and the you backed up your work, if i was miss informed you can give me my money back for the re-build and i will take it to somone who will fix it and not give me the run around. what do you guys think? is that what i should say? because im done beating around the bush with these guys its time to be asertive now.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 06:10 PM

well this finally got resolved.... the transmission shop called me back 3 days later and told me that they had to order me a new torque converter i knew there was something wrong with it, and the owner tries telling me its my rear axle making the noise and my engine missing causing the vibration??? what a joke i think they were hust trying to blame it on whatever else they could, and they told me the torque converter was bad and thats what was causing the vibration and the sounds.
I was talking to a canadian transmission builder and he told me that i should run the new dexronVI atf in my A-518 transmission? He says he puts dexronVI in the A-500 an 518s and the 47rhs and 46res whenever he re-builds any of them. Has anyone else heard of running dexronVI in these types of transmissions? he told me it has the best flow rate during low and high temps and that it has the best protecting ability? I looked at some in my local parts store and the dexronVI is kinda pricey and it also feels very thin in the bottle, you shake a bottle of dexronVI and it feels like water in there?
He said it is backwords compatible to dexronII and dexronIII and he told me that in 1991 DexronIII would have been factory fill in the A-518 transmission thats in my truck?, any thoughts on that? or would type f be a better choice then dexronVI?
Old 12-13-2011, 02:52 AM

Last photo:

The Dex-VI is synthetic like the ATF+4, that's why it's so pricey. It's also very good fluid.

Dexron VI vs Dexron III
The following chart represents the improvements over Dexron III.
Extended Fill Range = 100,000 miles Normal Use.
Change Interval = 50,000 miles Severe Use.
Clutch Friction Stability = Improved 100%
Clutch Durability = Improved 120%
Oil Film = Increased 20%
Fluid Oxidation = Improved 100%
Shear Stability = Improved 200%
Foam / Aeration = Improved 150%
Old 12-13-2011, 02:01 PM

ya thats impressive compared to dexronIII, with that being said would you consider it a good fluid to run the chrysler A-518 transmission?
The canadian builder i was talking too told me that atf+3 didnt come out untill 1994-1995 and said that the main reason they came out with atf+3 was to help the clutches in the newer lock up converters when i say newer i mean 1994 and up. He said that dexronIII didnt have the heat handling ability to keep them lock up converters happy. He said prior to 1994 chrysler used dexronIII on all there transmissions even the A-500s and A-518s wich were chryslers first overdrive transmission for pick up trucks in they first introduced it in 1989 and used it untill 1993, and in 1994 is when they modified the transmissions a bit more with the electronically controlled 46re with the lock up converters that needed atf+3, he said but from 1989-1993 dodge used dexronIII for factory fill in the A-518 in diesels and gas and some gas trucks came with a lock up converter but my 1991 did not, therefore he said dexronIII would be perfectly fine for my transmission, he said all the horror stories you hear about transmissions burning up do to not running +3 or +4 never came into effect untill 1994 when they introduced the 46re wich is a bit more electronically controlled then the A-518s used from 89-93 and also has a totally different lock up converter, he said if it was a 94 or newer i would tell you to run +3 or +4 but since its the 89-93 A-518 with just the electronic overdrive and with a non lock up converter he said i have to reccomend dexronVI.
He told me that dexronVI is compatible to use in any transmission that calls for dexronIII and he said that in 1991 dodge was using dexronIII for factory fill in the A-518 transmission, he also said i could use type f if i wanted too but he feels dexronVI is a better fluid.
what do you guys think about using dexronVI? wich would be the better choice the dexronIII or dexronVI or type f? those are the 3 fluids i am trying to decide between, i know type f allows for firmer shifts and is known to handle heat better and its alot cheaper then dexronVi, but on the other hand the dexronVI can handle heat just as well if not better and it lasts longer and most likely protects better? i just wonder how it would shift with the dexronVI? i imagine it would shift a little smoother with dexronVI compared to type f but if it protects that well maybe its worth sacraficing the softer shifts? I have just been told all my life but my old man that soft smooth shifts bring heat and wear the transmission out faster then firm aggressive type shifts? I plan on getting a trans go shift kit installed in it this spring when i get my income taxes back, just trying to decide on a fluid, the transmission only has 500 miles on it and in another 500 miles the builder told me to pick a fluid and flush all the fluid out of it and change the filter and whatever fluid i decide on he told me to stick with that fluid for the rest of the transmissions life and service the filter every 25 thousand miles.
So im trying to decide on dexronIII or dexronVI or type f? wich one would be the smarter choice to make.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:05 PM

Last photo:

Personally I'd use the cheap DexIII untill after the Shift Kit & Flush was done, then use the DexVI or if you plan on regular Trans fluid changes continue with DexIII or Type-F. The Shift Kit should firm & shorten up the shifts where Type-F may not be needed.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:52 PM

well the shop that re-built the transmission told me they put atf+3 in it, and it does shift rathly smoothly more then i'd like, he told me they would have put +4 in it but they dont like to run a synthetic untill the transmission has at least 1000 miles on it.
The owner told me to flush all the fluid out after 1000 miles and put a new filter on it, and right now my transmission has roughly 600 miles like 560 sum miles, unfortunetly i can not afford well i can afford the shift kit now, but i will not be able to afford to have it installed untill this spring when i get my income taxes back, and by then my transmission will have well over 1000 miles on it wich is when im spos to flush all the fluid out and put new fluid and filter on it.
So i was wanting to pick a fluid now and just stick with it for the rest of the transmissions life like the owner suggested, he said its better to stick with one type of fluid instead of switching around from different types of fluid.
I know the dexronVI is a gm fluid, but since the A-518 got dexronIII put in it as factory fill from 89-93 it should be safe to use because it says it can work anything that calls for dexronIII. I have just been told by old time transmission guys that type f is the best atf to run in a torque flight transmission, type f is not as updated as dexronVI therefore it would need to be changed more often then dexronVI but it supposidly firms up shifting and keeps a torque flight running cooler then any other fluid, i do not have a lock up torque converter so i do not need too many friction modifyers im told? i dont know its just a hard descsion between type f and dexronVI, i have also heard never to run a synthetic in a torque flight? my old man ran type f in all his 727s but he is no longer around to ask about running type f in the A-518 but i have heard alot of people says its ok and accually better for it then any other fluid if it does not have a lock up converter.
I will be having a shift kit installed as soon as i possibly can. I wish i could have a lab rat A-518 transmission to run different fluids thru and see what fluid it performs the best with, thats why i ask these questions hoping to find somone who has ran type f and dexronVI in the chrysler A-518 so i can ask them wich one performed better....
Old 12-24-2011, 07:30 PM

anyone here run the valvoline max life atf in a chrysler A-518 or 46re transmission? i have been pondering the idea of using it in my A-518, heard some good things about it.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.