52 ford custom need wiring imfo. am new to this board thanks - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2005, 11:18 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

52 ford custom need wiring imfo. am new to this board thanks

hi i need info. on wiring harness for my 52 ford custom thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2005, 12:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

52 Ford wiring

A little more info would be helpful. Are you keeping the stock running gear and converting to 12 volt,or going to later running gear? If the latter is your choice, computer or no computer, fuel injection / carberator? engine / trans type. I have built systems from scratch, and installed wiring kits in stockers and street rods,done some 12 volt conversions, made my own fuse panels / blocks, bought premade units, pretty much the whole ball of wax, so if I can be of help, let me know. I am not afraid of wiring,its not hard, just takes a little planning and time. As a retired aircraft mechanic, I have had to "run a lot of Wiring during acft rebuilds",modifications and damage repair.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:34 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Electrical

Check this out Alan Horvath is one of our contributors and did a nice job on his 54 chev pickup..Lots of good info if you contemplating re-wiring that car..

OMT
Old 10-15-2005, 05:34 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Welcome to the Board!

Doc here,

First, Welcome to the Board!

What is it you are trying to achieve, A full harness upgrade, or repair of a stock system, possibly a 12 volt upgrade?

There is a topic at the top of this forum.."Wire Harness" that I started to ask those that have used them, what harness product did the like and was the easiest to install with good tech support..

If your harness Shopping, you may want to read that thread for some ideas and look at the poll numbers before your purchase..

I ALWAYS advocate a harness upgrade, and a FULL 12 volt system (not a split buss).. My reasons for this, Stock wires are Cotton Clad insulation, and now have 53 years of oil , gas , and other flammables soaked into them , beside the fact , they support a flame even clean..It's just good policy to replace them...

Split busses are a pet peeve of mine..you can have some tragic results if you hook a 6 volt device into a 12 volt buss by accident..Especially when trucks of that vintage had few fuses, much less fuse links..

Some thoughts you may need to address..in an upgrade....

You will need:
An alternator: 1 wire (ease of install, but no options) or a 3 wire better..

A horn relay, and horns

Headlight, tail light,Dome,instrument lamp upgrades (should include sockets too..as these are probably not interchangeable, and must have corrosion by now...

Starter: most guy's say you can run a 6 on 12 volts and in fact you can, a DC motor will run within 125% of spec voltage (a solenoid won't for very long) BUT I advocate Changing ALL the motors..BECAUSE the service life will be greatly reduced, internal resistance being for 6 volts not 12..AND some say I'll change it when it goes out..Which is usually in a dark parking lot 50 miles from home in a rain storm..(at least that's my luck.. )

Heater motor and Speed controller: Self explanatory..

Wiper motor: (If not Vacuum, and if so you might consider the upgrade to electric...to keep the rain off going up hill.. At the very least consider a vacuum canister if you stay with vacuum..)

Turnsignal Flasher if you have the old "Vibra flex" system..

If you stay with Stock instrumentation, for a retro look, get a ceramic dropping resistor to operate the VCC to those devices for accuracy (The ONLY place I recommend using one with exception to the Stock radio..if you can stand "vibrator noise" and warm up time.. )

Any switch devices that look questionable (while your in there) remember those are 53 years old..and the instrument dimmer, a rheostat, that dissipates 6 volts to ground through it's internal resistance to dim the lamps.

The rest is just good mechanical practice..Star washers, locks, anti chafe where needed, good routing procedures, grommets, adel clamps (rubber coated metal, not plastic) and the like..

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.