'52 Ford steering options - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2005, 12:55 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

'52 Ford steering options

Hello; New to forum. I have a 52 Sunliner that is in process. I would like to update the suspension, brakes, steering, and column. The options I've disvovered are a complete stub with cutting the frame for rack with suspension and brakes. Another is updated a arms and brakes. Most suppliers list a Vega power box for 49-51. Anything available for 52 up? Has anyone been trhough any of thses options? Are there more out there? Any advise appreciated.
Thanks,
Jerry
Olympia, WA

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2005, 01:44 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

I'd check with Fat Man's.

http://www.fatmanfab.com/06page2.htm

page 18

I can't remember is the 52-56 the same front suspension?

Last edited by xntrik; 10-09-2005 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:11 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantws

I have a 52 Sunliner that is in process. I would like to update the suspension, brakes, steering, and column. The options I've disvovered are a complete stub with cutting the frame for rack with suspension and brakes. Another is updated a arms and brakes. Most suppliers list a Vega power box for 49-51. Anything available for 52 up?
Is this the kit that converts a 52/53 from pins to ball joints?

-GEARHEADS- offers a kit utilizing a modified Saginaw box to update the P/S.

If you want to go to the MUST II suspension and rack, -ROD AND CUSTOMS MOTORSPORTS- can give you any level of changeover kit(s).
Old 10-09-2005, 09:06 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Right 54 went from trunnions to ball joints. Theres some neat tricks for 56.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:53 AM

Jamco suspensions offers the ball joint a-arm conversion with disc brakes. http://www.jamcosuspension.com The Fatman option of a complete stub and rack is not something I'm all that comfortable doing. In fact, I have a spare Victoria frame, which I would utilize if I go that way in order not to foul up the very nice sunliner convert frame. Leaving a box on the frame seems okay to me, as I think the largest engine I would eventually choose would be a Ford 302 or a Chevy 350. Really haven't decided on that yet. Any comments on that?
Thanks for the info. Jerry
Old 10-10-2005, 08:32 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

In our area

Near to here..I am in Yelm we have Art Morrison and Jim Meyer racing products that can provide the front suspension pieces to up grade that thing..I am assuming that you are looking for a nice job and a good handling car when done..

Chassis is no place to skimp in my estimation..As far as budget is concerned a fellow can run a plain rebuilt motor and regular tranny as they are easy to change out down the road..

Best thing I can say is spend the bucks and get the chassis done well as you will not regret doing that..

OMT
Old 10-10-2005, 08:49 AM

Last photo:

re one more time

Hi,
I have a 55 Ford Ranch Wagon which Ihave converted to the Granada Disc Brakes and I wanted power steering after looking for what seemed forever I found Wurthit designs they offer a true Bolt in conversion for our Fords,I spoke with Rick Wurth and I think this is the way to go and not as spendy as some of the other conversions.
Check them out at www.wurthitdesigns.com it will be worth you time.
FORD2DR
Old 10-10-2005, 08:57 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Additional stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantws
Jamco suspensions offers the ball joint a-arm conversion with disc brakes. http://www.jamcosuspension.com The Fatman option of a complete stub and rack is not something I'm all that comfortable doing. In fact, I have a spare Victoria frame, which I would utilize if I go that way in order not to foul up the very nice sunliner convert frame. Leaving a box on the frame seems okay to me, as I think the largest engine I would eventually choose would be a Ford 302 or a Chevy 350. Really haven't decided on that yet. Any comments on that?
Thanks for the info. Jerry
On the engine a 302 or 351 windsor slides right into one of those like it was made for it..use a C-4 or AOD tranny and this will give you a very good service..

OMT
Old 10-10-2005, 02:41 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. The Wurth page looks interesting, but he doesn't list anything before 54, and then looks like he's ill as well??? Poor guy. Jamco did get back to me, and while their suspension conversion in applicable, the Volvo (not vega) box is for the 49-51, as the arm points to the rear. They suggest I go with a F150 power box. I don't know what's involed in that, nor did they mention a supplier of same. Will have to decide eventually, if I use a stub and cut the frame, I'll need to get the Victoria frame dipped. If I switch suspension and use a frame mounted box, then I'll use the original convertible X-frame.
Jerry
Old 10-10-2005, 02:59 PM

Last photo:

I have a 53 Ford sedan. I cut the frame off and installed a rectangular tube frame section and an 80 Chrysler torsion bar K-member. It was a lot of work to get everything level and square. In return I got; power steering, torsion bar suspension and disk brakes. The car steers, stops and handles great but looking back I'm not sure that I'd do it again. One mistake can turn your car into an ill handling piece of junk. I used a 351 Cleveland series engine (351M) in the Ford but it's a tight fit. So tight on the drivers side that I couldn't use headers. The Windsors (302-351W) are not as wide and would be a better fit. I am happy with the way my car turned out but my choice of parts really came about because I had the donor cars sitting around already.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	53ford2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	7286  
Old 10-10-2005, 06:39 PM

Last photo:

re One more time

Hi again,
If you call Rick Wurth he can explain his system,I talked to him and he has a lot of information, I am installing a 5.0 EFI and AOD I bought the car at an auction cheap it runs sweet and shifts smoothly it is almost too nice of a car to rip apart but if I can use most of the parts it will be worth the money I paid for it I plan on going with wurthit designs conversion that way I will be able to use the wiring from the donor car as well as the steering column etc.
I live in Auburn and have had some Ideas on steering gears the ford F 150 you didnt mention what years they fit inside the frame with a long sector shaft the problrm I ran ito with that particular box was the stock pitman arm won't fit, I found the Isuzu Montreo steering box is very close to the stock steering but again the stock pitman arm won't fit the sector shaft.
Maybe we could get together and compare notes some time
Old 10-11-2005, 04:55 PM

To Ford2dr

Thanks for the info. Would like to stay in touch as we are fairly close to each other. I'll check with you before any purchase and to see where you're at on your project. I'll likely move pretty slowly, as I am in the middle of restoring a 1958 Jaguar XK150 roadster, so that's absorbing a lot of the $$$.
Jerry

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.