52 Pontiac Chieftan 2 door post - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2005, 09:36 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

52 Pontiac Chieftan 2 door post

Hi. Have a 52 Pontiac Chieftan 2 door post and would like to change the front suspension.Nothing fancy. Would I be better off to use a Mustang II system or try using a S-10 frame? Plan on putting a chev 350 with a 700R4 into it, along with a rear end from a S-10. Would appreciate any comments.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2005, 02:06 AM

Last photo:

The reason the Mustang II pinto front suspension is used is manily cause those cars had the motor sitting directly over the suspension meaning that in your average rod with the motor set back and not directly over the suspension the weight exerted on the suspesion will actauly be less than that of the stock 4 banger it used to hold up. that and rack and pinion set up was great and did not need power assist.

The S-10 is not the same way. Its actaully weaker (this is stock to stock comparsion) than the pinto mustang set up however it was in a truck so its heavier duty than a car and works well.

Now for your car im not sure why you would want to go to all that trouble the Short arm long arm system you have is very good especially with some mods and its already there. There is really no reson to convert the setup you have.

My biggest question is why do you feel you need it. Alot pepole really cant answer that they just kind of say cause i heard it was good. Over a straight axle this true but when you already have IFS a disk upgrade, maybe some better springs and shocks or a air ride system is the best way to go IMO.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:25 AM
Philippines Cowboy

Last journal entry: THE TRACTION DYNO
Last photo:

I tend to agree with "streetrod," but I realize parts availability might be a problem. Also, there are probably no dropped spindles available and, finally, the ball joints allow you to gain some braking anti-dive. It seems, however, that you're considering a full frame swap, which seems to be more than you need. I'd consider just a Camaro front clip. This would give you the opportunity to lower the car a bit and, with plates and gusseting, is a fairly simple task.

At the rear, I'd suggest something like Art Morrison's 4bar package or a fabricated equivalent with a Panhard. This is an easy conversion and, if you angle the right side up more than the left, you can even have some dynamic canceling of the driveshaft torque.

I probably wouldn't have looked at this thread, but it caught my eye because my first car was a '52 Pontiac Super Deluxe Catalina. Two tone green with a leather interior. Pontiac (and Chevy) introduced some fancy colors and interiors that year.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:50 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I don't think I would go with a Mustang II IFS in a '50s car which is surprising for me cause I like the Mustang IFS on most street rods. The problem with the '50s cars is their weight. Although the Mustang IFS can handle the weight of most street rods with no problems when you get into the '50s cars got bigger and a great deal heavier.

I believe the easiest solution in this case would be a Camaro clip. They're plentiful, have disk brakes and SBC mounts and are fairly easy to install as clips go.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.