53 Belair conv rust repair - Page 16 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2013, 06:47 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

[QUOTE=John long;1691365]My son-in-law came yesterday and brought work cloths with him. Tim has a nice '39 Chevy street rod he bought a few years ago but is really interested i the fabrication part of the hobby and is always interested in learning something new. I turned him loose on making the front LH body mount. I think He did an awsome job. You don't know how much I enjoyed working with him today.

Had a blast working some metal with you! Thanks for all your patience and guidance with a novice like me. Makes me appreciate even more all that goes into this hobby.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 07:20 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Now you've got him posting on the forum...

Always glad to see another bowtie guy...

I wish I lived close enough to be his apprentice.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:30 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
[quote=ttrotter;1691884]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
My son-in-law came yesterday and brought work cloths with him. Tim has a nice '39 Chevy street rod he bought a few years ago but is really interested i the fabrication part of the hobby and is always interested in learning something new. I turned him loose on making the front LH body mount. I think He did an awsome job. You don't know how much I enjoyed working with him today.

Had a blast working some metal with you! Thanks for all your patience and guidance with a novice like me. Makes me appreciate even more all that goes into this hobby.
Welcome to the forum! You are lucky to have such a talented guy to show you the ropes.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
ttrotter (07-08-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 09:40 PM

Last photo:

seems to me old school sure works well. great project choice to boot! thanks for the show!!!
Old 07-17-2013, 01:59 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanks Killer,

I change my plans a little due to the bad frame mount being a little spongy. It needs to be replaced so I can shim the cowl.

I drilled out the factory rivets holding this body mount bracket to the frame. The new plasma cutter was the berries for cutting the 1/8 in material I bought. It is way to heavy to be able to form. Hopefully, I will get them ground and tacked together later today but getting the old one out and the new pieces cut constitutes more than my 5 minutes in the garage.

John

Old 07-17-2013, 02:33 PM

Last photo:

I love this stuff John! Hey and remember if you are going to blast anything that "Black Diamond" REALLY works well, much better than sand.

I forget if we had discussed this stuff before.

Brian
Old 07-17-2013, 02:36 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I love this stuff John! Hey and remember if you are going to blast anything that "Black Diamond" REALLY works well, much better than sand.

I forget if we had discussed this stuff before.

Brian
Yes, I have used Black Diamond and it is good.

That said, there is nothing, absolutely nothing I hate more than sand blasting. I wish there was someone close to me who did it.

John
Old 07-17-2013, 02:39 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Thanks Killer,

I change my plans a little due to the bad frame mount being a little spongy. It needs to be replaced so I can shim the cowl.

I drilled out the factory rivets holding this body mount bracket to the frame. The new plasma cutter was the berries for cutting the 1/8 in material I bought. It is way to heavy to be able to form. Hopefully, I will get them ground and tacked together later today but getting the old one out and the new pieces cut constitutes more than my 5 minutes in the garage.

John

Those look great just cut out! A plasma cutter sure is a time saver!
Old 07-17-2013, 02:48 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Those look great just cut out! A plasma cutter sure is a time saver!
Boy you can believe that. I took a 1 1/2 X 1/4 wood trim strip and used it as a straight edge. As luck would have it, it was the perfect thickness to put the edge of the ceramic cup on it and it not only gave me a guide but held my tip at the perfect distance off the metal. Sometimes life is just plum good.

John
Old 07-17-2013, 03:02 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

John this photo tells so much. I absolutely love it!
Thanks

BB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	75775  
Old 07-17-2013, 03:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
John this photo tells so much. I absolutely love it!
Thanks

BB
It exhibits exactly what I was talking about on another thread where I said "There is no difference between building a car from scratch and waxing one, only the amount of steps needed". I sure as hell don't mean to sound like John has no more skill and experience than the dude down the street waxing his Chevy Cruze, not in the least bit. But look at that photo, if someone breaks it down enough, (with guidance like John is providing in this thread) anyone can do this! Most anyone who visits this forum could cut one of those piece of metal right? Break it down enough and it is right there to do!

Again, please don't take this to say this is no big deal, that is NOT what I am saying. This is a HUGE project being done by someone with PILES of talent and experience. But breaking it down like this "demystifies" it.

Damn I love this, this thread is a kick.

Brian
Old 07-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
It exhibits exactly what I was talking about on another thread where I said "There is no difference between building a car from scratch and waxing one, only the amount of steps needed". I sure as hell don't mean to sound like John has no more skill and experience than the dude down the street waxing his Chevy Cruze, not in the least bit. But look at that photo, if someone breaks it down enough, (with guidance like John is providing in this thread) anyone can do this! Most anyone who visits this forum could cut one of those piece of metal right? Break it down enough and it is right there to do!

Again, please don't take this to say this is no big deal, that is NOT what I am saying. This is a HUGE project being done by someone with PILES of talent and experience. But breaking it down like this "demystifies" it.

Brian
You are not going to hurt my feelings Brian. I agree with you 100%. My whole purpose of starting this thread was to show anyone with a few tools could do this. It does not require gobs of skill but it does require a tremendous amount of patience as well as commitment. I don't think a person could do this just because they want to have a car finished. I believe they have to enjoy the build itself. You have to want to be in the garage and enjoy the journey.

Tacked my frame bracket together.

John

Old 07-17-2013, 05:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
You are not going to hurt my feelings Brian. I agree with you 100%. My whole purpose of starting this thread was to show anyone with a few tools could do this. It does not require gobs of skill but it does require a tremendous amount of patience as well as commitment. I don't think a person could do this just because they want to have a car finished. I believe they have to enjoy the build itself. You have to want to be in the garage and enjoy the journey.

Tacked my frame bracket together.

John
You are so right, and this is why I love the out and out show car so much. A guy doesn't build a car like that because he wants a car. He builds it with passion, the passion is seen in the work. And I mean a REAL show car not just a car that's been in a car show. I am talking those cars where you could take the friggin rear end out and show it alone on a stand and people would gawk at it, you know what I mean?

And what is really exciting to me, is when you talk to some guy at a show while admiring his car and find out he built it in his garage and it's his first car! There is a 56 Vette in the town next to me like this, it is a STUNNINGLY restored car that is way better than it came off the line. It was his first attempt, he didn't even have a tool in the garage outside of sockets and wrenches when he started. I love that stuff, looking at that friggin frame bracket you made actually made me smile, I just dig it.

You created something that didn't exist yesterday, that is just plain cool.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
John long (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 05:51 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:

Brian
Amen!

BB
Old 07-17-2013, 07:27 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

I know I have beat this piece to death but here it is except for punching the holes and putting the reinforcement in the small end.

I tired but tickled.

BTW Thanks again for the kind words and encouragement guys.

John

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.