53 Belair conv rust repair - Page 20 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2013, 08:19 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,122 Times in 997 Posts
I'm not talking "insurance companies" who you do work FOR, I am talking the one you have to pay to protect your work! It's called "Completed Operations" insurance and when you are in business you need things like that to survive.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2013, 08:28 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

If I went by the book I couldn't start a hot dog stand in Ca.

No way. Just word of mouth cash work and the blood suckers could go find someone else to steal from.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:54 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,279 Times in 1,038 Posts
I normally refer to myself as a hobbyist. In about 1991 I found myself unemployed when Uncle Sam busted up the telephone Co. I had several people ask me to do work for them and I did exactly what you are referring to Henry. I kept my "shop" open about 7 months before I decided to go find a job.

I never had a day that I did not have work in the shop. The work is there.

I never got cheated exept one time and that was by a "friend" and it was only about 125 dollars.

I was absolutely miserable. I would lay awake at night and wonder how I was going to justify the time I had in a gas tank door in a 1955 ford truck cab or something like that. After all I was the one that had to go to the salvedge yard to find a hinge etc.

Also, when tax time rolled around I was going to have some explaining to do because I had no business license, had no way to collect or pay sales tax and had no W2 form to show any form of income. I told my wife I had to get a business license, insurance, etc or a job. It was obvious I could have a full time career or a hobby. I chose hobby.

I can promise you that if you do go on your own the work will be there. You are a true craftsman.

I can also promise you will have more pressure on you than you ever dreamed of. With a wife and children you will either have to go full steam ahead with all the responaibilities of a business owner or be employed at some level. There will be no middle of the road, long term.

These brackets I am making are taking between 5 and 8 hours with the tools I have. Each of them can be bought from EMS for 79.95. You can do the math. The only reason I am making them instead of buying them is I have more time than money and thought there may be some members here that would get a kick out of seeing what could be done on a tight budget with a few tools.

John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (08-07-2014), NEW INTERIORS (07-26-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 10:02 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
You aint primed those yet ???? LOL,I see you have the same problem as I do John,Dont you just hate putting primer on your work....We need a clear epoxy...
....Good God they shine like they just got back from the chromers...
Ain't it the truth. Ain't it the truth........Can't stand to cover them up. Once I put them in, they don't even show.....

John
Old 07-26-2013, 10:37 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Ain't it the truth. Ain't it the truth........Can't stand to cover them up. Once I put them in, they don't even show.....

John
I don't know about you but I have x-ray vision after doing something on the hidden areas of a car like that, I WILL see it. I always laugh when I am at a stop light and I look at a car that we had in the shop. I am not even working on it yet I know exactly every nut and bolt and clip that holds the bumper on the and what the structure looks like under it. I see it in my mind like it's apart!

Brian
Old 07-26-2013, 10:44 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
How about the PG&E and the landlord and the phone company, and your insurance company, and the parts suppliers, and the paint store, and the tool bill.......etc. Oh yeah things are much better when you don't have that boss breathing down your neck.

Brian
Well I think they are! I've never been happier in my whole life than I have since hanging up my work tools, and picking up my retirement tools! Of course we've planned and prepared for it since we were in our late 20's, so we're enjoying it now!
Old 07-26-2013, 10:48 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:

These brackets I am making are taking between 5 and 8 hours with the tools I have. Each of them can be bought from EMS for 79.95. You can do the math. The only reason I am making them instead of buying them is I have more time than money and thought there may be some members here that would get a kick out of seeing what could be done on a tight budget with a few tools.

John
I am truly glad you decided to make them, and share the process with us John! Every time I open these posts and see the latest piece you've built, I can't help but smile. They really are too nice to paint, or hide under a car!
The Following User Says Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (07-26-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 10:58 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
I normally refer to myself as a hobbyist. In about 1991 I found myself unemployed when Uncle Sam busted up the telephone Co. I had several people ask me to do work for them and I did exactly what you are referring to Henry. I kept my "shop" open about 7 months before I decided to go find a job.

I never had a day that I did not have work in the shop. The work is there.

I never got cheated exept one time and that was by a "friend" and it was only about 125 dollars.

I was absolutely miserable. I would lay awake at night and wonder how I was going to justify the time I had in a gas tank door in a 1955 ford truck cab or something like that. After all I was the one that had to go to the salvedge yard to find a hinge etc.

Also, when tax time rolled around I was going to have some explaining to do because I had no business license, had no way to collect or pay sales tax and had no W2 form to show any form of income. I told my wife I had to get a business license, insurance, etc or a job. It was obvious I could have a full time career or a hobby. I chose hobby.

I can promise you that if you do go on your own the work will be there. You are a true craftsman.

I can also promise you will have more pressure on you than you ever dreamed of. With a wife and children you will either have to go full steam ahead with all the responaibilities of a business owner or be employed at some level. There will be no middle of the road, long term.

John
I have a lot of respect for someone who opens a business. Especially when it's a stand alone business in an industrial building where one pays rent, insurance, advertising, holy crap it adds up. The "fixed overhead" on a simple little shop can be many thousands a month, before you take home a single dollar that fixed overhead has to be paid.

If you do it legally, we are talking going to the city and getting permits and paying a business license every year. Try getting a bodyshop permit, holy crap you would think I wanted to open a nuclear reactor! Then there is the trip down to the county courthouse for the "Fictitious name" permit and hazardous waste, and fire dept inspections, and this is all before you even turn a bolt on a car!

Then do as I did with a stay at home mom, you are responsible for every dime your household needs!

Oh yeah baby, it takes a bunch.

When I closed my shop I made it clear I would do NO side work at home, life is way to precious. Just a personal feeling I have after running a business for all those years, it took WAY too much of my time as a business owner at the business. But I had to, I was the bread winner and that was it. It was quite a while until I was able to get out and play being I had little ones, boy scouts, girl scouts, museums on the weekends, etc.

My kids still win with a basketball game or messing with my son's RC car so the hobby still takes back seat. If I had a customers car sitting there,

Brian
Old 07-26-2013, 01:47 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

a mobile license is the ticket. Those vultures don't need to know about any warehouse. I did that before and made decent money. Had no problems. They obviously didn't know I was doing more than a parking lot ding but screw em. I paid them and even got fingerprinted as part of the process.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:29 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
a mobile license is the ticket. Those vultures don't need to know about any warehouse. I did that before and made decent money. Had no problems. They obviously didn't know I was doing more than a parking lot ding but screw em. I paid them and even got fingerprinted as part of the process.
That makes sense Henry. I had a friend in Vancouver that made good money with a mobile paintless dent repair business.

I knew the cowl mount had some rust in it but did not realize it is as bad as it is. I intended to fix it when I took the body off the frame but I am afraid to wait. I can't take a chance of it sagging so I have started to repair it.

The mount has to be trimmed to put a V8 in the car anyway. I am going to make it a little oversize so I can move the inside bolt and run it through the frame rail. That will open up some room for exhaust. I am also making it out of 12 gauge so we don't loose any strength.

John

The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (07-26-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 10:09 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Just a idea for you... When you remake the cowl mount.. Make one that run's straite down from the cowl to the frame.. It doesn't have to stick way forward like it does.. It just needs to support the cowl weight... I took the cowl mounts off my 57 chevy... I would just make a nice smaller one running straite down... Your car, You do what you want too,, It's just a idea for you to think about.. Plus it will clean it up a little..

I also cut a lot off this 57 cowl mount and boxed the front in for a better look.. this mount went all the way up the firewall,,,Made a hole in the back side to get to the bolt..

The black one was my 57 I ran without cowl mount's..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	103_7900.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	76032   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1029.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	551.4 KB
ID:	76033  
Old 07-26-2013, 11:00 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
Just a idea for you... When you remake the cowl mount.. Make one that run's straite down from the cowl to the frame.. It doesn't have to stick way forward like it does.. It just needs to support the cowl weight... I took the cowl mounts off my 57 chevy... I would just make a nice smaller one running straite down... Your car, You do what you want too,, It's just a idea for you to think about.. Plus it will clean it up a little..

I also cut a lot off this 57 cowl mount and boxed the front in for a better look.. this mount went all the way up the firewall,,,Made a hole in the back side to get to the bolt..

The black one was my 57 I ran without cowl mount's..
That really does look great Randy. One thing I have to consider is this being a convertible the front mount actually tries to lift up when you open the door. Since there is no top to reinforce it the mount behind the A Pillar and this one support the entire cowl. There has to be a front cowl mount and it has to be pretty stout. The alignment of the doors depend on these 2 mounts.

John.
MARTINSR (08-07-2014)
Old 07-26-2013, 11:26 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

It is good to watch people work who Know what they are doing.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:13 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
It is good to watch people work who Know what they are doing.
I just like watchin everybody else work........
Old 07-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
I just like watchin everybody else work........
Yea, but it don't pay worth a dern.........
MARTINSR (08-07-2014)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.