53 Belair conv rust repair - Page 22 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2013, 06:40 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,349 Times in 1,093 Posts
Today was the day I was going to install the drivers side toe board but that is not how it worked out. I hot wrenched the bolt out for the accelerator pedal and here is what I found.

Not a big deal but another 2-3 hours fooling with a little patch that doesn't really amount to much. It is ready to tack in but I had to make a decision.....Go ahead and tack it in or take a shower and drive the roadster over to the cruise in at the Sonic. Yea, the shower felt good.

John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (08-07-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 06:46 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

That was an easy decision to make! Shower and cruise is a nice way to end a day's work!
Old 08-05-2013, 10:26 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,165 Times in 1,027 Posts
Yesterday I did just the opposite. I was all ready to go to a show with the Gran Sport and decided not to and got a little done. But damn it's hard, relaxing is really what we should be doing but I had Saturday so I went ahead and put a little time in on the truck.

It's looking good John!

Brian
Old 08-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer View Post
John have you seen Eastwood's new little bench top English wheel?

English Wheel - How To Make a Fender Flare & Techniques - Eastwood - YouTube
Josh, take a look at this. It comes with free shipping and a full set of lower anvils.

English Wheel 22" Throat Depth Sheet Metal Planishing Anvil Shrinker Shaping | eBay
MARTINSR (08-07-2014)
Old 08-06-2013, 09:12 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,165 Times in 1,027 Posts
Damn that's a sweet deal John, I paid almost that much for the piece of garbage I have, wow.

Brian
Old 08-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Got back to the shop for a very short time this evening. The three pieces that make up the front corner of the drivers side floorboard and body mount are now one assembly.

I plug welded everything together to hide the welds.

You can see how much this will look like they are spot welded when the car is painted.

This assembly is almost ready to weld in but still needs to be tweaked a bit to fit correctly. I don't think it is going to be a big deal though.

MARTINSR (08-07-2014)
Old 08-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

John, you need to take back what you said about not getting much done...compared to me, well I laid two more coats of primmer in a hood...took me almost 6 hours...LOL. Well at least I gave plenty of flash time. That's what happens when you watch TV, answer a few PM's and answer a few questions on the forum. I like watching early morning TV on Saturday, even though it was repeats and not very motivational...I'm a sucker for old TV Series Westerns, two of my favorite episodes and well there's your flash time...LOL

Things you did today was again, amazing...I'm sure anyone that will see your Chevy when your done John, no one will ever know it had any rust repair, your quality speaks for itself.

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
John long (08-10-2013)
Old 08-11-2013, 08:42 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

STILL NO PRIMER?????LOL......
John your at a point where I might be able to save you some time and money..If you already know this then disregaurd...
I noticed you used a weld thru primer on the inside of your mount before welding ,well it looks like weld thru but That stuff is super expensive and you'll need a lot of it so when I need a weld thru primer I use cold galvivizing compound from krylon you can get it for around 6.00 a can and its a BIG can insted of paying about 20.00 a can..One of the bodymen I hired told me it was the same stuff and to get some and try it (in one ear and out the other)
well...he brought some of his own in and showed me and I couldnt believe it.it works good.
.ok, theres the saving money part and this may save you some time and agravation...
When I did this on my car, which wasnt a vert, btw... my cowl had dropped when it did of coarese the front A pillars spread apart a bit and the B pillars spread also spread out from each other alsonot onlt That the A& B pillar on both sides spread ,requiring me to pull them closer together. When I shut the door to ckeck the gaps the bottom of the door stuck out about a 1/2" with everything adjusted as far in as possable and about a 1/2" gap at the bottom,I was half expecting this so I had used drill screws to hold everythig in place...I had to jack up the cowl to get the door aligned what saved a lot of time is all I had to do was remove a couple screws, jack it up and in ;and tweak it and put the screws in they're new posistion and try the fit again.I see a lot of guys skip this check and weld as they go only to find out it was off a bit and have to take all the welds out and do it over or worse live with it. drill screws are a life saver.... I just thought I'd bring that up, if not for you then someone thats doing something similar....
Old 08-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
John your at a point where I might be able to save you some time and money..If you already know this then disregaurd...
I noticed you used a weld thru primer on the inside of your mount before welding ,well it looks like weld thru but That stuff is super expensive and you'll need a lot of it so when I need a weld thru primer I use cold galvivizing compound from krylon you can get it for around 6.00 a can and its a BIG can insted of paying about 20.00 a can..One of the bodymen I hired told me it was the same stuff and to get some and try it (in one ear and out the other)
well...he brought some of his own in and showed me and I couldnt believe it.it works good.
.ok, theres the saving money part and this may save you some time and agravation...
When I did this on my car, which wasnt a vert, btw... my cowl had dropped when it did of coarese the front A pillars spread apart a bit and the B pillars spread also spread out from each other alsonot onlt That the A& B pillar on both sides spread ,requiring me to pull them closer together. When I shut the door to ckeck the gaps the bottom of the door stuck out about a 1/2" with everything adjusted as far in as possable and about a 1/2" gap at the bottom,I was half expecting this so I had used drill screws to hold everythig in place...I had to jack up the cowl to get the door aligned what saved a lot of time is all I had to do was remove a couple screws, jack it up and in ;and tweak it and put the screws in they're new posistion and try the fit again.I see a lot of guys skip this check and weld as they go only to find out it was off a bit and have to take all the welds out and do it over or worse live with it. drill screws are a life saver.... I just thought I'd bring that up, if not for you then someone thats doing something similar....
Both suggestions are excellent Mike. Thanks for sharing. You are correct about the weld-thru primer. I really wanted to prime the inner pieces with Epoxy but there are just so many things you could do. The line has to be drawn somewhere. I believe the cold galvanizing compound might be the perfect compromize. Thanks again.

One of the advantages a convertible has is the front is not attached to the rear so I can raise or lower the cowl without effecting the rear body shell. I do wish I had temp screwed the toe board patch to this assembly. Once I had just where I wanted it I could have tack welded it, taken it back out, permenantly welded and installed it. Again your suggestion would have worked for me. down the road, as the project continues I will do that.

Ain't this site cool?

John
MARTINSR (08-07-2014)
Old 08-11-2013, 04:33 PM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=deadbodyman;1703830]STILL NO PRIMER?????LOL......
well...he brought some of his own in and showed me and I couldnt believe it.it works good.[QUOTE]

No concerns about galvanize poisoning with the spray on stuff when welding?
Old 08-11-2013, 05:08 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

[quote=1971BB427;1704004]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
I noticed you used a weld thru primer on the inside of your mount before welding ,well it looks like weld thru but That stuff is super expensive and you'll need a lot of it so when I need a weld thru primer I use cold galvivizing compound from krylon.....

No concerns about galvanize poisoning with the spray on stuff when welding?
Good question, Do you know what precautions need to be taken Mike?

I welded my front corner in today. Now you can see how it fits together.

Before

After

Here is a picture of the assembly welded in place,

To finish installing it I need to gently heat the top support around the edges with my O/A torch. Once it is cherry red It will be soft enough to gently tap it down to provide a tight fit with the floor pan. When that is welded around the outer and inner circumferance this mount should be as strong as it ever was.

John

MARTINSR (08-07-2014)
Old 08-11-2013, 05:23 PM

Last photo:

When I'm welding around metal that's galvanized I stage a fan close by to blow fumes away. I try not to have it blowing directly on my weld, as it tends to blow the gas away. Just blowing close by, so it pulls the smoke and galvanizing gas away from me, so I wont breathe it in.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:27 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

It's really starting to take shape John. I can sure see that there's a lot thought going into this project. I just went through a lot of the pictures and posts...it's an amazing transformation happening in real time. Now this is a reality show I could watch all day long...and the reruns would just be great refresher courses.

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
John long (08-11-2013)
Old 08-11-2013, 05:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Now this is a reality show I could watch all day long...and the reruns would just be great refresher courses.

Ray
It would never get on TV! No screaming, name calling, throwing things, or swearing! At least that we know of!
Old 08-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Your right...but this would be the first real reality TV show...LOL

Ray

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.