53 Belair conv rust repair - Page 23 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,280 Times in 1,039 Posts
LOL. It would be B rated for boring.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (08-07-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

John we .,You need to change name from Rusty to Mona lisa ,that will be a work of art when completed ..

Be extremely careful when using galvanizing compound fumes will go upstairs,,
that is as sick as I have ever been ,welded a galvanized axle for a friend ,,Bad Bad

of course you already know this.
The Following User Says Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
John long (08-11-2013)
Old 08-11-2013, 10:32 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,123 Times in 998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
When I'm welding around metal that's galvanized I stage a fan close by to blow fumes away. I try not to have it blowing directly on my weld, as it tends to blow the gas away. Just blowing close by, so it pulls the smoke and galvanizing gas away from me, so I wont breathe it in.

A welding respirator is really needed when welding thru "weld thru primer", it is full of zinc (upwards of 95%) and is very dangerous. A fan is a big help but a respirator is also needed.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
1GH (11-29-2013)
Old 08-11-2013, 10:33 PM

Last photo:

[quote=John long;1704012]
Quote:

Good question, Do you know what precautions need to be taken Mike?

I welded my front corner in today. Now you can see how it fits together.

Before

After

Here is a picture of the assembly welded in place,

To finish installing it I need to gently heat the top support around the edges with my O/A torch. Once it is cherry red It will be soft enough to gently tap it down to provide a tight fit with the floor pan. When that is welded around the outer and inner circumferance this mount should be as strong as it ever was.

John

I LOVE this thread!

Brian
Old 08-12-2013, 03:49 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Looking good John.

Keep it coming.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:41 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

foil air dam

sometimes you can use aluminum foil or the foil tape air condition installers use on duct work to make an air dam around the weld area to keep the shielding gas in place while using a fan to have a safe breathing zone
Old 08-12-2013, 08:01 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
A welding respirator is really needed when welding thru "weld thru primer", it is full of zinc (upwards of 95%) and is very dangerous. A fan is a big help but a respirator is also needed.

Brian
I did not know there was a welding respirator. Learn something every day.

John
MARTINSR (08-07-2014)
Old 08-12-2013, 08:04 AM

Last photo:

I use a disposable one because the others won't fit in my Cherokee helmet. PPE - Respiratory Protection | Disposable Respirators | 3M 8214 N95 Particulate Respirator w/ Face Seal, 10/Box | 652625 - GlobalIndustrial.com

Do get one John, I have heard a few horror stories. A fellow on another site almost died from one welding job where he installed a rad support on a Honda while it was stuck in a corner on the frame rack. They found him unconscious laying on the floor! He spent a week in ICU and is forever damaged with a stint in his chest to self administer shots of steroids into his lungs. Zinc fume fever is REAL and very dangerous. I'm sorry I didn't mention this earlier looking at your progress is so damn much fun I forgot to preach as I usually do about safety.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 08-12-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:12 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

I think most people will find a welding respirator is an expensive item, and unless you were doing a ton of welding on galvanized metal, not necessary. The smoke that comes off is easily dealt with by having the fan blowing at you, and not the material being welded. It keeps any smoke away before it can reach the person who's welding.
I also hit the areas I'm going to weld on with a grinder to get some of the galvanizing off before welding. Probably not necessary on spray galvanizing, but with hot dipped it's pretty thick, and doesn't weld well if I don't remove some.
I used all galvanized EMT on the framework of my tilt frontend, and with a fan I had no problems, and never have had previously.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:28 AM

Last photo:

My health is well worth the $20! I am not kidding, Eric, the guy I mentioned, his life changed forever with one job, done deal, his lungs are destroyed. This happen when he was 23 as I remember. But when we will spend $20 for a burger and a beer, I think it's good money spent.

Fans help, and "could" be enough if used properly, but we move around, we forget. Doing something like Johns floor, he is stuffed inside of a "bowl" welding on the bottom, the fumes (Fumes are tiny pieces of the burnt material in the air that we are breathing, read that zinc, we are actually breathing the zinc) are filling the "Bowl" and it is very hard to get it all out before we breath it. It's like AIDS, it never bothered Freddy Mercury or Rock Hudson, until that one time............

I don't want Johns great thread to be taken over by my preaching that darn old health stuff so I won't anymore. Enough has been said from me.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
1GH (11-29-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 08:38 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
My health is well worth the $20! I am not kidding, Eric, the guy I mentioned, his life changed forever with one job, done deal, his lungs are destroyed. This happen when he was 23 as I remember. But when we will spend $20 for a burger and a beer, I think it's good money spent.

Fans help, and "could" be enough if used properly, but we move around, we forget. Doing something like Johns floor, he is stuffed inside of a "bowl" welding on the bottom, the fumes (Fumes are tiny pieces of the burnt material in the air that we are breathing, read that zinc, we are actually breathing the zinc) are filling the "Bowl" and it is very hard to get it all out before we breath it. It's like AIDS, it never bothered Freddy Mercury or Rock Hudson, until that one time............

I don't want Johns great thread to be taken over by my preaching that darn old health stuff so I won't anymore. Enough has been said from me.

Brian
I didn't realize they'd gotten that cheap ($20) Last time I looked at them the canisters were almost $80 a pair. At $20 they're too cheap not to use. Where did you see them for $20? The link you attached says $72.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:39 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:

Fans help,

Brian
I'm a "fan" of pretty much everything you post Brian, and if you think I could help...let me know, I'll help....LOL

Seriously, I do agree, many of us had welder's flash...it burns the eye's something crazy the next day...we learn and religiously wear a welding helmet after. Unfortunately, as Brian mentioned, you may not always get a second chance with the off gasses that you get when you weld.

$20.00 is pretty cheap insurance...and what kind of place charges $20.00 for a burger and a beer....up here in Canada we can buy a dozen beer (depending on brand) and still have enough money left for a pound of hamburger...LOL

Ray
Old 08-12-2013, 09:04 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Good info guys. I have welded galvanized metal and indeed it is nasty stuff. This weld-thru primer does not give off the smoke or fumes the metal does and I had not given it a second thought. I will be cautious as I go forward though. The Zinc probably gives off at least a limited amount of fumes.

John
MARTINSR (08-07-2014)
Old 08-12-2013, 09:53 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
I didn't realize they'd gotten that cheap ($20) Last time I looked at them the canisters were almost $80 a pair. At $20 they're too cheap not to use. Where did you see them for $20? The link you attached says $72.
That's for a box of TEN! And internet deal for sure, at my local hardware store they are about $20.

Brian
Old 08-12-2013, 07:26 PM

Last photo:

I wear the same half-face respirator when I weld as I do for light painting. I can just barely fit my helmet down over it. If I don't wear it when I weld, I get a headache, and it doesn't take very much.

If John does any painting, which I know he does, then he's already got the equipment to keep himself safe while he welds.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lizer For This Useful Post:
John long (08-12-2013)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.