53 Belair conv rust repair - Page 25 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2013, 04:45 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

doin it right,

It's a lot of work but john is doing it right, I saw a 35 Packard phaeton the the owner had stiffened up with tubing inside by the door posts and around the back seat. A half roll cage just didn't look right in a classic car, but rewooding it would be lots and lots of work, I just got home from 4 days in the hospital, the classic signs of another heart attact, It turned out to be a case of shingles on my left chest and left back. If you are over 50 you should get the vacination. I'll probably miss the big car show in Rigby Id today. doc said bed rest for a while. and don't drive while on the med's.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2013, 07:55 AM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

John, a thought occured just now....where do the body mounts go ? It almost looks like that cupped piece would have a mount under it somewhere. Would they have been a rubber cushion like the 60's stuff or a flat piece of fabric ..
Old 08-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,307 Times in 1,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
I remember you telling us about that surgery John, so sorry to hear that. Thought and prayers are with your friend's family and your's.

It's always tough, I've had a few friends pass away in the last few years, guys that I grew up with and it's always tough.

All the best John
Ray
Thanks Ray. I appreciate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
John, a thought occured just now....where do the body mounts go ? It almost looks like that cupped piece would have a mount under it somewhere. Would they have been a rubber cushion like the 60's stuff or a flat piece of fabric ..
Here is a picture that will make it clear. In order to hide the welds I built this corner assembly and then installed it in the car,

The body shims and mount is on the lower frame support. Above that is the body mount, then the floor board and above that the cone shaped convertible support. You have 4 pieces in the picture and the shims and pad go between the bottom 2.

John

The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (08-07-2014)
Old 08-18-2013, 07:47 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Normally I ask my wife to turn the crank on my bead roller so I can feed the panel straight but I went ahead and did it alone tonight. The beads are not as straight as they could be but by the time the 4 body mounts are welded to them I believe they will be OK. I guess they will have to be since I'm not going to make another one.

John

MARTINSR (08-07-2014)
Old 08-18-2013, 08:02 PM

Last photo:

Looks great from here...
Old 08-18-2013, 08:08 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Normally I ask my wife to turn the crank on my bead roller so I can feed the panel straight but I went ahead and did it alone tonight. The beads are not as straight as they could be but by the time the 4 body mounts are welded to them I believe they will be OK. I guess they will have to be since I'm not going to make another one.

John

And I thought You were building this car LOL
Old 08-18-2013, 08:40 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

You know guys, I was thinking a day or 2 ago as I was waiting to fall asleep. (It takes sleep a while to slip up on me.) I want people to realize my purpose with this thread is not to represent myself as one of the great metal workers but rather to show the guests and novices that look at these threads that with a limited amount of cheap import tools and a little patience that an inexpensive project can be built on a budget. Not only that but it can be done to a level of quality that creates pride of ownership as well as having market value. There is a big difference in spending your money and in investing it in a project.

Do I think I can make a nice car out of this thing. Hell yes. Do I think it will ever win best of show. Not a chance. Will I enjoy the car? I already am.

John
MARTINSR (08-07-2014)
Old 08-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

I think it will have a good chance of winning any show out there John. I know you are a modest person, but you are one of the best I have seen, even if you are working with "cheap import tools". Keep up the good work, it gives me something to look forward too.

kelly
The Following User Says Thank You to carolinacustoms For This Useful Post:
John long (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 09:03 PM

bead Roller mods

I checked out MetalMeet and did a lot of work on my chepo HF bead roller. added more angle iron to stiffen it, drilled and added grease zerks,, a top adjuster crank. quick release, a 12 V atv winch to run it and a foot pedal forward and reverse. I got my orange "skate' wheel from reids supply and a 22 mm hub and pully for a tipping die from surplus center.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:11 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post
I checked out MetalMeet and did a lot of work on my chepo HF bead roller. added more angle iron to stiffen it, drilled and added grease zerks,, a top adjuster crank. quick release, a 12 V atv winch to run it and a foot pedal forward and reverse. I got my orange "skate' wheel from reids supply and a 22 mm hub and pully for a tipping die from surplus center.
I would love to power mine. I'll bet there are lots of posts on Home Made Tools showing how.

Do you have a picture to post of yours?

John
MARTINSR (08-07-2014)
Old 08-18-2013, 09:26 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
You know guys, I was thinking a day or 2 ago as I was waiting to fall asleep. (It takes sleep a while to slip up on me.) I want people to realize my purpose with this thread is not to represent myself as one of the great metal workers but rather to show the guests and novices that look at these threads that with a limited amount of cheap import tools and a little patience that an inexpensive project can be built on a budget. Not only that but it can be done to a level of quality that creates pride of ownership as well as having market value. There is a big difference in spending your money and in investing it in a project.

Do I think I can make a nice car out of this thing. Hell yes. Do I think it will ever win best of show. Not a chance. Will I enjoy the car? I already am.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacustoms View Post
I think it will have a good chance of winning any show out there John. I know you are a modest person, but you are one of the best I have seen, even if you are working with "cheap import tools". Keep up the good work, it gives me something to look forward too.

kelly
Like Kelly said, no need to feel self-conscience about your skills. I don't see it as bragging at all and have drawn inspiration from your fearless attitude about making parts and tools yourself. Heck in the last 2 weeks I've said to myself a dozen times, WWJD. "What Would John Do" ?? You helped me design and build 2 panels, a trailer hitch and a crowsfoot. THANK YOU...
Old 08-18-2013, 09:56 PM

bead roller

I just copied things from several other panel beaters. We are up on the farm breating a lot of smoke from all the forest fires. MORE MIS MANAGEMENT BY THE BLM and US FOREST SERVICE. Most of my tools are down south where we spend the winters. for the skate wheel I ordered trial pieces from reids a (1 us-105) and a (1-AU-824) one was gray and the good one was orange. I don't know which part no is which. For the quick release I used a push type action toggle clamp like the grizzly industrial tool catalog part no G1777. For the toggle I used 6 pieces of wrought iron base plates. They are a piece of 1 x 3 x 1/8 in strap rounded ends a hole in each end I bought from MetalMart in their wrought iron part aisle for about 49 cents each . I paired up the pieces to form a Y laying on its side. The toggle is fastened to the side leg. The top y piece to the crank controlled adjuster rod , and the bottom leg is connected to the roller bearing block. A bolt goes thru the intersection of all the y pieces. Its handy when running multiple passes to get it set then just toggle up the release move over the sheet , then toggle down with the same setting.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:01 PM

power roller

The info I used was from Jim Stabe and the old MM forums had picts , I did a quick google and found this Power your HF bead roller with a winch motor [Archive] - The Garage Journal Board If you click in the top you still get the picts
Old 08-18-2013, 10:42 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post
The info I used was from Jim Stabe and the old MM forums had picts , I did a quick google and found this Power your HF bead roller with a winch motor [Archive] - The Garage Journal Board If you click in the top you still get the picts
Do you power,it with a battery or battery charger?

John
MARTINSR (08-07-2014)
Old 08-18-2013, 11:14 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,009 Posts
Quote:

John
John, don't think about that for a second. Anyone who looks at this thread and sees "grandstanding" or something like that has a problem themselves, YOU are a gentleman and no one with the common sense God gave them could say anything different.

I love this thread!

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.