53 Belair conv rust repair - Page 27 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2013, 02:23 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,247 Posts
How true. Hope I have a few years to get there.

John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (08-07-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2013, 06:33 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
It's nice to see progress but don't rush. These small details are extremely important even though they don't look like much.

You'll get there in a few years, no worries......
I thought a lot about Pugsy's comment today while I was working. He is so right. The key to building a car is patience. While I have no desire to build or own a show car it is not worth doing if you don't end up with something you are proud to have people look at.

With that said, when I started this thread my purpose was not to prove I am a master metal worker but to show that a budget build can be done by us common folk with tools that are within the reach of the average home builder.

Will be time to make some floor pans soon.

Finished the second row brace today. Just have to drill them and do the final trimming.

Here is a shot of how they go into the car. I want to move the LH cowl forward about an 1/8 of an inch and I can weld the LH rocker box and install this support.
MARTINSR (08-07-2014)
Old 08-31-2013, 06:37 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Nice.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:12 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Did I miss something ,John? I see you have your outer rockers did you make them or buy them ? either way its looking great ...The other day I almost bought an 8' brake but I didnt have anywhere to put it in my shop so I had to pass...400.00. Not only that but do you know how much an 8' brake wieghs ..I'm still looking for a nice 6 footer. keep up the great work and posting this really is one of my favorite threads....
Old 09-01-2013, 08:27 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
Did I miss something ,John? I see you have your outer rockers did you make them or buy them ? either way its looking great ...The other day I almost bought an 8' brake but I didnt have anywhere to put it in my shop so I had to pass...400.00. Not only that but do you know how much an 8' brake wieghs ..I'm still looking for a nice 6 footer. keep up the great work and posting this really is one of my favorite threads....
I did buy the outerrockers Mike. My 3 foot brake would not handle them and they were not that much. They are EMS which seem to be the best availavle but still do not have the sharp bends that factory panels have. If I can't find factory quarter panels that are good I may buy EMS quarter patches too.

Like you, I would love to have a bigger brake. With my limited space a 4 foot finger break would be great. Woodward Fab and several others make them at affordable prices but no more than I do it is hard to justify the expense.
MARTINSR (08-07-2014)
Old 09-01-2013, 08:39 AM

OMG buying a new one is out of the question. If I do buy one it'll be a used 6'. because most 2doors car doors are slightly over 4' then theres the rockers most of what I do are door bottoms and rockers.But a 4' box(finger) brake would be very handy indeed..I need a bigger shop.....and more time...
Old 09-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
OMG buying a new one is out of the question. If I do buy one it'll be a used 6'. because most 2doors car doors are slightly over 4' then theres the rockers.But a 4' box(finger) brake would be very handy indeed..I need a bigger shop.....and more time...
LOL At 68 I could use more time too.............
MARTINSR (08-07-2014)
Old 09-01-2013, 08:43 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
OMG buying a new one is out of the question. If I do buy one it'll be a used 6'. because most 2doors car doors are slightly over 4' then theres the rockers most of what I do are door bottoms and rockers.But a 4' box(finger) brake would be very handy indeed..I need a bigger shop.....and more time...
You did not make Shades of the Past last year. Any chance you are going to try it again next weekend?

John
MARTINSR (08-07-2014)
Old 09-01-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
You did not make Shades of the Past last year. Any chance you are going to try it again next weekend?

John
Not a chance John, I'm burried at the shop. I'll be working on some 2013 Nisson trucks from Tenn, though...It seems that you guys had one heck of a hail storm a while back (softball size?) I got 40 trucks here that look like big golf balls Some even got the mirrors torn off.I just finished the second one...brand new trucks with 15-40 miles on the OD...
Old 09-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

The progress is looking great John. I am sorry to say that I have had a few things come up and I am not going to be able to make up to Shades. I was really looking forward to meeting you, I am sure it would have been worth much more than the dinner I offered to buy just to get a few minutes with a skilled craftsman as yourself. Hopefully one day I can catch up with you and a few others from this site. There are many of you that have a wealth of knowledge, and I thank you for sharing it freely as you do.

Kelly
Old 09-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Not a chance John, I'm burried at the shop. I'll be working on some 2013 Nisson trucks from Tenn, though...It seems that you guys had one heck of a hail storm a while back (softball size?) I got 40 trucks here that look like big golf balls Some even got the mirrors torn off.I just finished the second one...brand new trucks with 15-40 miles on the OD...
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacustoms View Post
The progress is looking great John. I am sorry to say that I have had a few things come up and I am not going to be able to make up to Shades. I was really looking forward to meeting you, I am sure it would have been worth much more than the dinner I offered to buy just to get a few minutes with a skilled craftsman as yourself. Hopefully one day I can catch up with you and a few others from this site. There are many of you that have a wealth of knowledge, and I thank you for sharing it freely as you do.

Kelly
Well Guys. Looks like it is going to be easier to keep my cooler full.

Kelly, There is no doubt in my mind all of us get as much pleasure out of sharing what we do as other people get from looking at it.

Egos must be fed.....
MARTINSR (08-07-2014)
Old 09-01-2013, 09:29 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
Quote:

MIRRORS TORN OFF!

Man you guys have some storms! HOLY CRAP!

Where I work we had a contract with Toyota motor company to repair shipping damaged Toyotas and Lexus it was so cool working everyday on brand new cars without a spec of rust or mud or anything, man that was nice.

But really, hail that KNOCKED THE MIRROR OFF! HOLY CRAP!

Brian
Old 09-02-2013, 06:47 AM

I've never seen anything like it.the mirror wasnt just knocked off ,it was destroyed,just a few jagged edges left where it mounted to the door..These trucks are from Nashville if I'm not mistaken..
That would be a trip though if we all got together....
Old 09-05-2013, 09:01 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I thought a lot about Pugsy's comment today while I was working. He is so right. The key to building a car is patience. While I have no desire to build or own a show car it is not worth doing if you don't end up with something you are proud to have people look at.

With that said, when I started this thread my purpose was not to prove I am a master metal worker but to show that a budget build can be done by us common folk with tools that are within the reach of the average home builder.

Will be time to make some floor pans soon.

Finished the second row brace today. Just have to drill them and do the final trimming.

Here is a shot of how they go into the car. I want to move the LH cowl forward about an 1/8 of an inch and I can weld the LH rocker box and install this support.
WELL ????? I am starting to go into withdrawal here. I need an update fix. What cha been doin' ??
Old 09-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Look's great so far,, But we need more !!!!!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.