53 Belair conv rust repair - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2013, 03:41 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
It will probably be a mild custom painted red with white cove. I hope to make it a big block 4 speed car. Nosed, decked, lowered with skirts. PS PB Air etc. My intent was to subframe it but I keep reading posts that talk about what a nightmare it is to subframe these cars. I don't really want to spend 2500 dollars for a new mustang II set up. Not sure at this point how to best handle the front suspension. S10 was my original choice but there may be better ways. In the old days a lot of people used Cavalier racks on the origional suspension. Ball bearing wheel bearings with a bit block sounds a little iffy to me though. I just don't know.

If you look closely at my pictures it will occur to you, I have lots of time to decide.

Do you need the rear steer subframe?

Thanks for the interest and support guys.

John
Great job so far..
I think you been hearing about clip's from all the wrong people..
They work great when done right,,, And isn't as hard as some make it sound,, And usually the bad you hear about them is from the people that couldn't do it right in the first place..

I was thinking of mounting one like this in my 50 coupe...I think it would work fine..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	product_FR316KTPWNC.jpg
Views:	1139
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	74706  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 05:27 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
Great job so far..
I think you been hearing about clip's from all the wrong people..
They work great when done right,,, And isn't as hard as some make it sound,, And usually the bad you hear about them is from the people that couldn't do it right in the first place..

I was thinking of mounting one like this in my 50 coupe...I think it would work fine..

That is a really neat way to handle a narrow front end. I would consider doing something like that if it solved the brake problem, the wheel bearing probLem And the obsolete suspension in general.

Don't get me wrong, even though I am usually a Ford guy, I remember the Chevies of these years drove better than the Fords. I also remember that Corvette used this exact front end until 1962.

These front ends have ball bearings, kingpins and hydraulic shocks. I would like to get rid of all of it at the same time.
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
OldF250XLT (06-02-2014)
Old 06-09-2013, 05:43 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Just a follow up to above. I am a big fan of GM subframes. I have done 2 of them and ended up with cars that drove and road great for very little money. The thing I don't want is a car whit the front wheels sticking out to far.

I hope to find some pictures of 49-54 chevies with S10 frame clips. They are good and narrow if I can deal with the front steer. M2 crossmembers work well but are pricey. Remember I am very, very frugal.

John L
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
OldF250XLT (06-02-2014)
Old 06-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Just a follow up to above. I am a big fan of GM subframes. I have done 2 of them and ended up with cars that drove and road great for very little money. The thing I don't want is a car whit the front wheels sticking out to far.

I hope to find some pictures of 49-54 chevies with S10 frame clips. They are good and narrow if I can deal with the front steer. M2 crossmembers work well but are pricey. Remember I am very, very frugal.

John L
John ,I don't know the frame width on the 53 car but a 53 truck a Pacer ,(did I say that ) is as close to a direct bolt in you can get it has I think 8 bolts then you set complete cradle out with ps pdisc rack $ pinion sway bars shocks all in ! unit just bolt it under I will go measure my frame width if you need me to ,,also the change narrows front track width 1 inch if that matters.
The Following User Says Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
OldF250XLT (06-02-2014)
Old 06-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
John ,I don't know the frame width on the 53 car but a 53 truck a Pacer ,(did I say that ) is as close to a direct bolt in you can get it has I think 8 bolts then you set complete cradle out with ps pdisc rack $ pinion sway bars shocks all in ! unit just bolt it under I will go measure my frame width if you need me to ,,also the change narrows front track width 1 inch if that matters.
LOL. just how plentiful are Pacer front ends? Seriously there some of the old technology really did work.

This a couple of years premature but here is what I am thinking.

When I built my Merc and put it on the '69 Skylark frame I had to deal with the front steer. I did it by making mounting pads that sat on the modified front frame horns. That eliminated the need for the radiator support. I used (I think) a '71 impala cross flow radiator. I could mount the front fenders and shim each side individually making front end alignment a breeze. I had a radiator that was factory matched to the 402 I was running and lastly, I fabricated all my inner fenders, splash panels, lower fender braces, radiator mounts.

Think about it. NO RUSTY SHEET METAL to deal with. I will see if I can come up with a picture of the Merc under the hood. I just don't know yet if there is enough room in front of the wheels to make the S10 clip work. Anyway I have lots of nights to think about this as sleep sneaks up on me. Thanks David.

John
Old 06-09-2013, 06:16 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Chassis engineering crossmember..has optional mounts. This is $640 and accepts all stock MII front parts. If you have a source for a scrapped MII and can get the rest for cheap, this might be an option. The only issue is it doesn't work with power rack, only manual. They also have a complete tubular arm, disc brake kit to complete this but it's another $1500

Old 06-09-2013, 06:20 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Chassis engineering crossmember..has optional mounts. This is $640 and accepts all stock MII front parts. If you have a source for a scrapped MII and can get the rest for cheap, this might be an option. The only issue is it doesn't work with power rack, only manual. They also have a complete tubular arm, disc brake kit to complete this but it's another $1500
I definitely is an option. I very well may end up doing that......

John
Old 06-09-2013, 06:29 PM

Last photo:

I was going to use the monte carlo front clip which is the same as a s10 just a little wider,,, But the front steering box would have been in the front pan infront of the rad..I read a few guy's on the hamb said they did it with the s10 clip and worked out nice.. I did a few clips with s10's and the steering box was always the problem... I did re-clip the front of a s10 race truck with a rack & pinion mounted in front instead of the box..Worked out great..

My coupe I sold a while back,, I just went install a Progressive Automotive
Mustang II on it... Worked out great... Very nice front end..

What's great about these cars is.. Once you unbolt the front end and take it out,,, It's ready for any mustang II kit... Very nice frame rails to work with..
The Following User Says Thank You to NEW INTERIORS For This Useful Post:
OldF250XLT (06-02-2014)
Old 06-09-2013, 06:38 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I think I'd use a subframe too those crossmembers with all the goodies are great time savers and look really cool but when labor is free,times not an issue and moneys tight, subframe it...I used a camaro subframe with 12" impalia rotors and Aframes and a 2000 camaro pwr rack (front steer) all from parts cars and cheap cheap, cheap,,,bagged it too.. the air bags were a buy i get i free so they turned out about 25.00 ea ....I dont see why it would be any harder than any other car..as long as the track width is close a little narrower would be better IMO...looks better when they're sittin on the ground....
Old 06-09-2013, 06:43 PM

Last photo:

They have been done with camaro clip's,, But you can't turn when they are on the ground... The camaro clip's are to wide,,, The monte carlo front ends are not as wide... The s10 is a good clip if your ready to deal with the steering box...
Old 06-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
I was going to use the monte carlo front clip which is the same as a s10 just a little wider,,, But the front steering box would have been in the front pan infront of the rad..I read a few guy's on the hamb said they did it with the s10 clip and worked out nice.. I did a few clips with s10's and the steering box was always the problem... I did re-clip the front of a s10 race truck with a rack & pinion mounted in front instead of the box..Worked out great..

My coupe I sold a while back,, I just went install a Progressive Automotive
Mustang II on it... Worked out great... Very nice front end..

What's great about these cars is.. Once you unbolt the front end and take it out,,, It's ready for any mustang II kit... Very nice frame rails to work with..

Randy, that rack with the clip sounds interesting if the geometry works out. The image above showing how to correct the geometry (or narrow) a rack is interesting also. I have heard descriptions of doing that but it is the first time I have seen a picture. I did not really understand it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
I think I'd use a subframe too those crossmembers with all the goodies are great time savers and look really cool but when labor is free,times not an issue and moneys tight, subframe it...I used a camaro subframe with 12" impalia rotors and Aframes and a 2000 camaro pwr rack (front steer) all from parts cars and cheap cheap, cheap,,,bagged it too.. the air bags were a buy i get i free so they turned out about 25.00 ea ....I dont see why it would be any harder than any other car..as long as the track width is close a little narrower would be better IMO...looks better when they're sittin on the ground....
You and I think a lot alike Mike. I don't want the air bags for this car but would like a nice low stance and will probably do a mild C notch on the rear. Lots of time to take measurements. The M-2 certainly would be quickest, easiest, and narrow enough. The only problem is cost unless a low mileage unit falls into my hands. 100 dollars for a frame clip is hard to beat when the labor is free...IF IT CAN BE MADE TO FIT.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:56 PM

Last photo:

Not really sure why they don't make a rack for this car.. But if you look under it where the steering bar all ties in in the middle, I can't see where one like this wouldn't work.... I was going to find out with mine,, But had to let it go before I had the chance to try it..
The Following User Says Thank You to NEW INTERIORS For This Useful Post:
John long (06-09-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 07:27 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
They have been done with camaro clip's,, But you can't turn when they are on the ground... The camaro clip's are to wide,,, The monte carlo front ends are not as wide... The s10 is a good clip if your ready to deal with the steering box...
the first thing I'd do is get rid of that steering box and put in a rack.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:56 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
the first thing I'd do is get rid of that steering box and put in a rack.
What ever I do the steering box has to go. As I remember a lot of guys used to use a cavalier rack with the original front end.

Brian posted that he had used a Camaro sub frame and it was a POS. I did not want to hijack his thread but wondered what it was he hated about it. I have also wondered what you would get into if you narrowed a rear steer clip before you installed it.

John
Old 06-09-2013, 08:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
What ever I do the steering box has to go. As I remember a lot of guys used to use a cavalier rack with the original front end.

Brian posted that he had used a Camaro sub frame and it was a POS. I did not want to hijack his thread but wondered what it was he hated about it. I have also wondered what you would get into if you narrowed a rear steer clip before you installed it.

John
not sure what he didn't like about it,,, I had a truck just like his I put a camaro clip in mine and drove GREAT... Was worth every bit of the work to me... The truck didn't lean over when making a turn like it did before,,, Turn on a dime... I was hooked the first time a guy gave me a ride in his 1950 chevy truck with a camaro clip,,, Went home and did mine..... Loved it..Wouldn't have it any other way..

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.