53 Belair conv rust repair - Page 34 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2013, 09:32 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,465 Times in 1,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Well John, all I can say is, whoever you worked for must have been sorry to see you retire...the common sense approach in the way you are fabricating pieces for this build I'm sure would have been applied to your everyday working life. It's a rare trait and one, even though you say your a master of no trade, you have mastered.

It's a Sincere pleasure watching this vehicle come back to life.

On a side note, did you handle the Paint related warranty claims at all for Freightliner? They where fairly strong PPG user's in the 90's and early 2,000's if I'm right, they used the PPG Delfleet Polyurethane coating for their trucks.

Ray
I believe they used some PPG on chassis but all the time I was there cabs were painted with Dupon Imron but yes, there was a terrible rash of warranty claims for paint. It got so bad the company shortened their paint warrant to one year as I remember. On the door of every Freightliner there is a sticker that says for help call 1-800-FTL-HELP. I was one of the guys who answered that line. It was a great job when the company was doing well and we had the budget to do what we felt needed to be done. After the trucking industry went south it became really tough. The smaller operators were going broke and looking for assistance that was not available......The Manufacturers were all operating in the red too. It got really hard and I took the easy way out......I retired.

John.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 09:43 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I believe they used some PPG on chassis but all the time I was there cabs were painted with Dupon Imron but yes, there was a terrible rash of warranty claims for paint. It got so bad the company shortened their paint warrant to one year as I remember. On the door of every Freightliner there is a sticker that says for help call 1-800-FTL-HELP. I was one of the guys who answered that line. It was a great job when the company was doing well and we had the budget to do what we felt needed to be done. After the trucking industry went south it became really tough. The smaller operators were going broke and looking for assistance that was not available......The Manufacturers were all operating in the red too. It got really hard and I took the easy way out......I retired.

John.
I know when I was with Dupont I did quite a bit of Commercial Representation for the Imron Line...most of my work came from Peterbuilt...that would have been around 96 to 02-03...I don't think I ever did any Freightlinner work. I never cared for the big Tractor or Commercial side...getting up and down a Semi while painting it will wear your out in a hurry, let a lone make your arms longer.

Maybe they just sent me to the trucks that didn't have problems...they knew I could handle that...LOL...I was sure that Freightlinner was PPG....but...I seem to remember me being wrong in the past....so I wouldn't take that bet

Ray
Old 09-25-2013, 09:52 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

They very well may have been at one time Ray I went to work for them in about 1998 when Daimler bought out the heavy duty Ford line. (L Series) and began to build the Sterling brand. I always preferred PPG over Dupont personally. If Freightliner had used PPG I would have known.

I had done a couple of things with Centari back in the early 70's and hated it. Soured me on Dupont and I never gave it another chance.

John
Old 09-25-2013, 10:06 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

I just ordered a spot weld drill from Amazon.com They have a Tungsten Carbide bit like Brian suggested for 26 dollars. Pretty good price for a carbide bit with free shipping and no tax. It was a Astro Pneumatic brand.

I am excited to try his method of installing panels. To be able to paint them before assembly and then remove the paint as you drill the plug holes is way cool. Can't wait to try it.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (09-26-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 10:26 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
They very well may have been at one time Ray I went to work for them in about 1998 when Daimler bought out the heavy duty Ford line. (L Series) and began to build the Sterling brand. I always preferred PPG over Dupont personally. If Freightliner had used PPG I would have known.

I had done a couple of things with Centari back in the early 70's and hated it. Soured me on Dupont and I never gave it another chance.

John
Then I would say you are right...I was just thinking back to when I was a Dupont Rep...maybe they never sent me to a Freightlinner shop was because I now remember...they didn't have a dealership in the Northern part of the Province I was in...LOL...that would explain it I'm sure.

Your probably the first person I know that didn't like Centari in the Early 70's. That was the revolutionary paint of it's time and Dupont rested on the laurels of Centari for years, even after they took the lead out of the Paint, some shops still swore by it....until every other paint company surpassed them in technology. Their Hi Tech line of base coat was an absolute failure in my opinion, old lacquer technology turned into a base coat...then they brought in Chroma Base...there's a base coat that used some Centari Acrylic Enamel toners. It wasn't until they brought out Chroma Premiere that they seemed to get back in the game and had a product offering that could compete with not only brands like Deltron, global, Diamont and others including the European paint technology.

What was it that turned you off of Centari, I never was a fan, when I got into the paint business in the early 80's...Centari wasn't what it used to be.

Today, there is so little difference in top of the line products from manufacturer to manufacturer, they all work...it's just the price...tough to justify paying $800.00 and more for a gallon of red base coat.

Ray
Old 09-26-2013, 06:23 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

B, U, T, FULL.....work ,John....
what I like most about this thread is your hard at it and every week you get something done on it...since I cant seem to get any time to work on my stuff I can always tune in to what your doing and and its almost as good at least I can see something getting done, it might not be mine,but its the work I really love watching you is the next best thing so dont stop...As always I cant wait for the next episode...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
69 widetrack (09-26-2013), John long (09-26-2013)
Old 09-26-2013, 06:28 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
B, U, T, FULL.....work ,John....
what I like most about this thread is your hard at it and every week you get something done on it...since I cant seem to get any time to work on my stuff I can always tune in to what your doing and and its almost as good at least I can see something getting done, it might not be mine,but its the work I really love watching you is the next best thing so dont stop...As always I cant wait for the next episode...
So very true Mike, I always look forward to the next episode...What I like about these episodes is that even the commercials can be useful...Thanks Brian..LOL

Ray
Old 09-26-2013, 09:20 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanks Guys.

The thing I did not like about Centari was the gloss. I had used Sherwin Williams with Polysol with excellent results even cutting and buffing it. When I used the Centari it just had no shine. Bare in mind I was a 28 year old with little experience but I never forgave it.

John
Old 09-26-2013, 11:26 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Thanks Guys.

The thing I did not like about Centari was the gloss. I had used Sherwin Williams with Polysol with excellent results even cutting and buffing it. When I used the Centari it just had no shine. Bare in mind I was a 28 year old with little experience but I never forgave it.

John
Ah, to be 28 again, feeling that euphoria of knowing so much no matter how much experience we didn't have. I think most painters in the late 70's and early 80's cut their teeth on Centari and trying to get them to switch to base clear and high build primers was a real challenge. They couldn't understand how putting down 3 coats of color and then 2 coats of clear was better than just putting down 2 or 3 coats of color.

Primer was the real big challenge, explaining that a catalyzed primer was a better idea even though they had to mix what they needed, clean the gun after every use and wait over night before sanding instead of mixing a full pot of lacquer primer, using what you wanted, have a smoke between coats and when your done, hang the gun up on the hook on the pole in the center of the shop ready for the next guy to give the gun a quick shake and start priming again. Back then the two biggest areas of contention where who left the coffee pot empty without making more and the last guy to use the primer gun should always mix more for the next guy.

After you convinced them that high build primer was the way of the future, you had to retrain them to not use it for body work...they should have never called it "hi build", something like "substrate builder" might have been a better idea. That way it would have been easier to avoid the abuse that the guys put "hi build" through....LOL

Things have evolved, and now with water born, I would get questions like, "can I clean my gun in the sink" or "if I have a burn through and spray water born base coat over top, will it rust the metal"...and no matter what, as long as there is a human element involved, there will be problems, no matter what product is used.

Ray
Old 09-26-2013, 11:43 AM

Last journal entry: 1939 Chevy Master Deluxe New Project(3)
Last photo:

Well<<<I just read this entire thread That's a lot of forum pages for 4 months Like everyone else I have to say that you must have the patience of Job. I am rebuilding a 1939 Chevrolet and I've only had to replace a few panels. However, while installing the Ride Tech 4 link rear bars I was forced to fab up all the brackets. I struggled through it, but it took me quite a while.

I'll be following this one for sure.

Pat
The Following User Says Thank You to Trophyman For This Useful Post:
John long (09-27-2013)
Old 09-26-2013, 06:20 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
John, I was thinking of having the 4th row braces sent to you anonymously to save you some work, but you seemed to be enjoying yourself so much I didn't have the heart to spoil your fun. They did look more complicated with the compound curves and sweeping width.

Glad you showed them who's boss...
Quote:
LOL. ..... There is still time for the fifth row of mounts to show up anonymously if you want. I have not started them yet.

John
I had to do some running around today and when I got home there was a FedX box on my porch. I am speachless. Who ever did this is having a very expensive laugh but I have to admit I am tickled to death to get these.

I DID NOT ORDER THESE!

To who ever is laughing, Thank you very much.

John

The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
Trophyman (09-27-2013)
Old 09-26-2013, 09:31 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Now that was nice of someone to do that...
Old 09-27-2013, 02:54 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
Now that was nice of someone to do that...
LOL, That my friend is an understatement.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:42 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
LOL, That my friend is an understatement.
Very true !!!!!
Old 09-27-2013, 08:52 AM

Last journal entry: 1939 Chevy Master Deluxe New Project(3)
Last photo:

Quote:
I had to do some running around today and when I got home there was a FedX box on my porch. I am speachless. Who ever did this is having a very expensive laugh but I have to admit I am tickled to death to get these.

I DID NOT ORDER THESE!

To who ever is laughing, Thank you very much.

John
WOW VERY NICE!!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.