53 Belair conv rust repair - Page 36 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2013, 06:53 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

There is not a lot to post for today but there is some progress of sorts. The trunk is now empty and all the spare stainless, skirts, and upholstery panels are stored elswhere. Gee, I hope I remember where when the time comes.

It is amazing how good the structure is back here. Yes, all the mounts will have to be replaced, as well as the floor pan, but all of the convertible braces, supports, and structure appear to be intact. Believe it or not, I had never pulled the rear seat and did not expect to find this.

Here is a picture of the area under the rear seat.

Here is approximately where the rear body mount goes. I laid it in there just for a visual aid. The mounts there at the B pillar are convertible only and will also need to be built. To the best of my knowledge no one makes them.

There also has to be a system to temporarily support the body while I replace the rear mounts and pans. I am still thinking about that one. Since my intentions are to raise the driveshaft tunnel some and C-Notch the frame I may replace the front panel that runs full width between the B pillars. Once it is welded in I can support the front of the body on the cross member under that panel. It wouldn't hurt to run a cross brace higher up also to keep the quarters square. Not sure but it is a thought.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2013, 07:08 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

John, my mother in-law was wondering where her broom went...She's had a hard time getting around lately...could you Fed Ex it back...her big night is coming up in about a month...LOL

The back does look good, strange how there would be as much rust as you had to deal with and then run into solid metal...go figure.

Ray
Old 09-27-2013, 07:14 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
John, my mother in-law was wondering where her broom went...She's had a hard time getting around lately...could you Fed Ex it back...her big night is coming up in about a month...LOL

The back does look good, strange how there would be as much rust as you had to deal with and then run into solid metal...go figure.

Ray
I agree. By the time I build a new drive shaft hump and attempt to deal with the rusty pitted metal I intend to replace the rear pans anyway. I do hope the channel that runs between the rear body mounts is usable though.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:31 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:

Ray
I did not realize it was your mother in law's. That broom is for a little bitty woman and I thought you said your mother in law was a big ............well you know.

John
Old 09-27-2013, 07:48 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I did not realize it was your mother in law's. That broom is for a little bitty woman and I thought you said your mother in law was a big ............well you know.

John
Apparently that's her "Sportster" model...she also has the "1 ton Duelly" model when she really needs to haul....things....LOL...If you ever put asphalt down for a drive way, I'd be happy yo loan her to you for as long as you want...after a couple of trips up and down, that driveway isn't going anywhere....LOL

Ray
Old 09-27-2013, 07:52 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Apparently that's her "Sportster" model...she also has the "1 ton Duelly" model when she really needs to haul....things....LOL...If you ever put asphalt down for a drive way, I'd be happy yo loan her to you for as long as you want...after a couple of trips up and down, that driveway isn't going anywhere....LOL

Ray
I'll bet she really likes you too.

John
Old 09-27-2013, 08:04 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
I'll bet she really likes you too.

John
No John, your wrong, she can't stand me...I have no idea why...when ever I loan her out, she gets to keep 30%....LOL.

Ray
Old 09-27-2013, 08:11 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
No John, your wrong, she can't stand me...I have no idea why...when ever I loan her out, she gets to keep 30%....LOL.

Ray
Very puzzling.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:23 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Very puzzling.
Just joking John...she's really about 100 pounds at best and has a great sense of humor...we actually do get along...quite often.

Ray
Old 09-27-2013, 08:30 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Just joking John...she's really about 100 pounds at best and has a great sense of humor...we actually do get along...quite often.

Ray
Your wife is standing behind you. huh

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (09-27-2013)
Old 09-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Your wife is standing behind you. huh

John
Nope, but my mother in-law keeps slapping me upside the head.

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
John long (09-27-2013)
Old 09-29-2013, 07:45 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

I spent some time chipping out the undercoating in the rear seat area today. Even though it will pretty much all have to be replaced (floor pans and mounts) the vertical structure is mostly in tact. The brace that goes under the front of the rear seat will get replaced and I will have to remove the seat back support, top mechanism, and cylinders in order to get to the floor pans.

The convertible top well also will have to be replaced.

Tomorrow hopefully I can do the same thing under the car and find out if I have any structure to attach the inner rockers to in the rear. It may be a few days before I have anything to take pictures of but will post something when I get it cut out where you can see how it goes together.

In this picture I am pointing at the rear body mount. You can see it through the rusted out area.

In this next picture I have drawn how the floor channel routes between the rear braces. If I can repair the channel, replace the rear braces and replace the convertible only support at the front of the seat the body should be adequately supported until I get the trunk area done and the frame C-notched so I can build the floor pans over the rear axle.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:50 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,082 Times in 965 Posts
I really wonder if that underseal that was so popular (maybe still) in the rust belt really helps, or does it just hide the rust so you THINK it's protecting the metal?

Brian
Old 09-29-2013, 07:52 PM

Last journal entry: For a change of pace
Last photo:

To be honest I find watching this thread inspirational. My project is so easy compared to what you do. I have had to redefine my definition of undoable basket case. Seriously, it keeps me motivated when I think I bit off to much this time!

Wery wery wery nice work by the way.

And tell Ray that broom won't start here in Canada. No block heater. It is only good for summer transport.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:54 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I really wonder if that underseal that was so popular (maybe still) in the rust belt really helps, or does it just hide the rust so you THINK it's protecting the metal?

Brian
I think it helps for X number of years ..But... Once it cracks or the metal begins to rust it just holds the moisture in instead of out. Long term, I would prefer not to have it. once it begins to fail it comes off in big hunks. No way is it still keeping the salt water out.

John

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.