53 Belair conv rust repair - Page 72 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2014, 08:07 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
"Q" ? I must be getting Senile...........
The gadget inventor for James Bond.

I know, you were looking at the eye candy, not an old man....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2014, 08:07 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

I wanted to take a moment tonight to do something I have not done. When Tim gave me the trunk panel that was donated from the gang here at the forum, he had taken it out of the packaging to get it in his Nissan truck.

It was not until today that I knew it had come from Real Deal Steel in the Orlando area of Florida. My understanding is that not only did several of the guys here on the forum participate but that Joe Whitaker of Real Deal Steel had really treated the guys well on the part.

I understand that advertising is not permitted on the forum but I think it is only fair that recognition be given to Joe and his company. Their Web site is really interesting and it is obvious when you read their "About Us" section they are real car guys. They are selling complete car bodies as well as components and I will be looking forward to giving them business in the future.

Thanks again to all who made this happen, both forum members and Joe at Real Deal Steel as well.

Thanks again to all!

Old 01-10-2014, 08:08 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
"Q" ? I must be getting Senile...........
Think "Bond---James Bond"

BB
Old 01-10-2014, 08:23 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
Think "Bond---James Bond"

BB
Q stands for Quartermaster who helped James out by designing the gadgets. I am embarrassed to say I googled it.

John
Old 01-10-2014, 08:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Here ya go, right in your neighborhood too.

1953 Chevrolet Bel Air for Sale | ClassicCars.com | CC-487681
I want to build it not just buy it. What do they say, if all you did was buy it, it's not really yours?
Old 01-10-2014, 09:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick895 View Post
I want to build it not just buy it. What do they say, if all you did was buy it, it's not really yours?
There's a lot to be said for buying a car you can drive and not work on for 4-5 years. That one is a little spendy for still having the 6 cylinder, but if the body is solid and the paint good, it would be a big head start to a nice hot rod. You could still swap in a sbc, 4-5 speed, posi, wheels and custom interior. All that would certainly make it "yours".
I wish I had a magic wand to transform my herd into done cars so I could just drive and enjoy them but I sense you are young and want to do this. I'm at the age where I just want to drive mine and can't because they need much restoration yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
John long (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 09:13 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Let me say this Stick. This is an ego trip for me. Not a smart or practical decision. It is cheaper to buy a car than build it usually.

I was in a junk yard with a couple of friends a few years ago and we were walking past a car that was rusted down into a pile of absolute junk. My one friend looked at me and said there is a good car for you to build John. My other buddy said "Naw, It needs to rust a few more years for John."

The point is I get a kick out of saving a car no one else wants to fool with. It tickles me when my friends kid me about my project. No matter what you buy, it will need work and there will be all kinds of opportunities to make it yours.

I am not trying to talk down to you and don't know what your level of expertise is but I do want to make sure you fully understand the time and determination a really rough car requires. I fully expect it to take 3-5 years to build this car but it is my game of golf or day on the lake, or hike in the woods, etc.

If you are like me or TooManyProjects with his Pontiac then go full speed ahead and by all means post us pictures as you go. The key is to start with a project that is, one complete, and secondly, has solid structure to build back to.

John

I see TooManyProjects and I were typing at the same time. He makes some good points......
Old 01-10-2014, 09:43 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
but I sense you are young and want to do this. I'm at the age where I just want to drive mine and can't because they need much restoration yet.
I may have had an unhappy childhood but by God, I've had a long one! I just turned 61 and when I retire in 100+ days I'm going to start in on this stuff. As I told my GF, I plan on working on something every day. As to whether I actuallY FINISH anything . . . I'm more into the sense of accomplishment of the journey, rather than the achievement of an actual end product. Hijack over.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Let me say this Stick. This is an ego trip for me. Not a smart or practical decision. It is cheaper to buy a car than build it usually.

I was in a junk yard with a couple of friends a few years ago and we were walking past a car that was rusted down into a pile of absolute junk. My one friend looked at me and said there is a good car for you to build John. My other buddy said "Naw, It needs to rust a few more years for John."

The point is I get a kick out of saving a car no one else wants to fool with. It tickles me when my friends kid me about my project. No matter what you buy, it will need work and there will be all kinds of opportunities to make it yours.

I am not trying to talk down to you and don't know what your level of expertise is but I do want to make sure you fully understand the time and determination a really rough car requires. I fully expect it to take 3-5 years to build this car but it is my game of golf or day on the lake, or hike in the woods, etc.

If you are like me or TooManyProjects with his Pontiac then go full speed ahead and by all means post us pictures as you go. The key is to start with a project that is, one complete, and secondly, has solid structure to build back to.

John

I see TooManyProjects and I were typing at the same time. He makes some good points......
Exactly, I want to save things, thats why I find this thread so fascinating
Old 01-11-2014, 05:49 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
I may have had an unhappy childhood but by God, I've had a long one! I just turned 61 and when I retire in 100+ days I'm going to start in on this stuff. As I told my GF, I plan on working on something every day. As to whether I actuallY FINISH anything . . . I'm more into the sense of accomplishment of the journey, rather than the achievement of an actual end product. Hijack over.
Alright, there are a number of us on here that are twin brothers of different mothers. I, too, see opportunity where others see junk. It appears you are already working one now ??

If not, my next best piece of advise..........buy 2. One to drive and the other a bucket to satisfy your desire to save. That way you can enjoy the driving/showing/cruising side of these cars while having a project to get your hands dirty on....

I have taken my own advise on multiple cars a bit far. I have 8 now and will be getting another in a couple weeks.
Then there is 496Chevy. I think he owns a dealership...
Old 01-11-2014, 05:57 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

John, heres another drill bit ( Irwin I think ) its a little harder to find but they are great for drilling welds...They used to be at Lowes too but I havent been able to find them lately....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7474.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	579.8 KB
ID:	112241  
Old 01-11-2014, 07:00 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Q stands for Quartermaster who helped James out by designing the gadgets. I am embarrassed to say I googled it.

John
My God John! Didn't you have a childhood?
BB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Q.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	112249  
Old 01-11-2014, 05:40 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
LOL, I too thought you were a young man Stick. What can I say?

I had posted in an earlier thread that to me building the car was a lot like riding a motorcycle. The journey was the fun part. Not the destination. As long as you feel that way building a car from scratch is a terrific project. Building an old original piece of history is even better. Not caring how long it takes is priceless.

If our cars could just talk to us and tell us their stories. wow.

You did not Hijack the thread. The purpose for this thread was to show what can be done. Your desire to do it is right on track. Thank you for participating and when you find the right project we hope you start your own thread.

One thing I might interject here...If you do not have a tremendous amount of allegiance to any particular brand, you may want to look at a Ford product. Fords use way more stainless steel and way less Chrome plated steel and Pot metal parts which frequently means they are quite a bit cheaper to build. Just a thought. I chose this BelAir in spite of it being a GM. Not because of it.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
John, heres another drill bit ( Irwin I think ) its a little harder to find but they are great for drilling welds...They used to be at Lowes too but I havent been able to find them lately....
Thanks Mike. That also looks like a good candidate. Do you think one is made out of a better steel than the other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
My God John! Didn't you have a childhood?
BB
i was never a James Bond fan. I know, Just weird I guess.

John
Old 01-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
Quote:
LOL, I too thought you were a young man Stick. What can I say?

I had posted in an earlier thread that to me building the car was a lot like riding a motorcycle. The journey was the fun part. Not the destination. As long as you feel that way building a car from scratch is a terrific project. Building an old original piece of history is even better. Not caring how long it takes is priceless.

If our cars could just talk to us and tell us their stories. wow.

You did not Hijack the thread. The purpose for this thread was to show what can be done. Your desire to do it is right on track. Thank you for participating and when you find the right project we hope you start your own thread.

One thing I might interject here...If you do not have a tremendous amount of allegiance to any particular brand, you may want to look at a Ford product. Fords use way more stainless steel and way less Chrome plated steel and Pot metal parts which frequently means they are quite a bit cheaper to build. Just a thought. I chose this BelAir in spite of it being a GM. Not because of it.

John

Thanks Mike. That also looks like a good candidate. Do you think one is made out of a better steel than the other?

i was never a James Bond fan. I know, Just weird I guess.

John
I have lost all respect for you and am unsubscribing from this thread!

Brian
Old 01-11-2014, 05:58 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

[quote=MARTINSR;2041234]I have lost all respect for you and am unsubscribing from this thread!

Brian[

Gee whiz.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.