53 Belair conv rust repair - Page 97 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2014, 07:57 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
This was in Nashville ,thought you might be there.i rather have your chevy then the Merc ,that is just me.
They are both beautiful cars. It sure would be nice if that Mercury's top folded.

When I was 12 my 18 year old brother had a '49 Merc with a 392 Hemi in it and then when I was 16 one of my good friends had a 53 Merc hardtop. I loved both cars and as you know built a 49 years ago.

Of course, in those days you could drive a 100 dollar V8 ford or a 100 dollar babbit rod chevy. That is why so many of us old guys grew up Ford guys.

Lord, it was about 1963 before I conceded that a Chevy V8 could out run a good flathead.......Just broke my heart.

John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (04-06-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2014, 08:17 AM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
In those days you could drive a 100 dollar V8 ford or a 100 dollar babbit rod chevy. That is why so many of us old guys grew up Ford guys.

Lord, it was about 1963 before I conceded that a Chevy V8 could out run a good flathead.......Just broke my heart.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
John long (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 12:34 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Mitch, If you notice my Avatar says "slow but willing learner."

John
Old 04-06-2014, 06:35 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Mitch, If you notice my Avatar says "slow but willing learner."

John
At our age, slow doesn't have the same meaning as when we were younger John! Now it seems pretty quick!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
boothboy (04-06-2014), John long (04-06-2014), Too Many Projects (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 12:19 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

John, you sir never cease to amaze me and one of these days i am going to plan a trip to your area just to buy you lunch so i can chat with you for a while. I do have a request today though, I have a few pictures I would like to post of making a window channel patch without a shrinker/stretcher that I think may be helpful to some that view this thread. Would you mind if I were to post them with a short explanation? I don't want to hijack your thread just thought it would get noticed by more folks in this thread versus starting a new one.

Kelly
Old 04-07-2014, 01:20 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacustoms View Post
John, you sir never cease to amaze me and one of these days i am going to plan a trip to your area just to buy you lunch so i can chat with you for a while. I do have a request today though, I have a few pictures I would like to post of making a window channel patch without a shrinker/stretcher that I think may be helpful to some that view this thread. Would you mind if I were to post them with a short explanation? I don't want to hijack your thread just thought it would get noticed by more folks in this thread versus starting a new one.

Kelly
Absolutely! It is kind of you to ask but I am sure that anyone following this thread as well as myself would love to see them.

Post away.

BTW, I will flip you for the lunch.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
carolinacustoms (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 07:12 PM

Last photo:

Ok so here's the short version. A friend of mine asked how to make patches for the area around his windows without having access to a shrinker/stretcher. As luck would have it, I am working on a 66 Oldsmobile sports coupe that needed that same repair (as do a lot of cars) so I told him to come by and watch while I made the patches and repaired the area. This particular car is the same as a 66 Chevelle in the area being repaired around the bottom of the rear windshield, if that helps everyone figure out where I am working since the photographer isn't too good. I apologize in advance for not taking pictures of making the patches, but it was a bit of an after thought. I appreciate John allowing me to post these photos in his thread, I know this is not the only way, it is not a "new" way, but I feel that it may help someone that may encounter the need to make patch panels in strange places, because this technique can be used anywhere there are more than one curve or bend and where panels join.

First I made the largest piece with a slight curve at the bottom to match the original contour. With a shrinker/stretcher, this could have been made in one piece with the pinch weld attached.

Then I made a small piece to replace the rusted out pinch weld area where the window will sit.

Then The last piece was the curved piece that extended onto the exterior package tray to replace a rusted area.

After a little grinding.

The area at the end of the arrows is where I was working at, these pictures are from the driver side.

I chose to put the patches in a little lower than the surrounding metal because the rear window molding is supposed to fit tightly to this area. Leaving the pieces a little low will allow me to use a skim coat of filler to fit the area to the molding. And I am sure you are wondering why I ground all of the welds before taking any pictures. Well, my dad always told me "If you have to grind your welds to make them look good then you are a grinder, not a welder" Guess which one I am

Hopefully, This will make enough sense to be helpful to someone on their project. Again, it is not the only way, it is not a new way, but it is a way that is easy and can be done by anyone with a little patience and very few tools. All I used to repair this was a pair of snips, a body hammer, grinder, and welder. Oh don't forget my 50 cent magnet

Kelly
The Following User Says Thank You to carolinacustoms For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-08-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 07:16 PM

Last photo:

Holy Cow!!! I am sorry John, I didn't mean to take up the whole page

Kelly
Old 04-07-2014, 07:46 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:

Kelly
Good job Kelly. I am sure not only me but many others enjoyed seeing this. I just had a conversation with my wife today about buying a TIG welder. I would love to be a welder instead of a grinder.

I do believe though that if I buy a TIG it will be a Lincoln or Miller. I just don't think I want to invest in a precision machine without being able to get it serviced. Also, I wanting a machine that will run low amperage output for light stainless as will has handle any fabrication I want todo.

We will see. Someday maybe......In the mean time I will keep grinding.

John
Old 04-07-2014, 08:03 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Good job Kelly. I am sure not only me but many others enjoyed seeing this. I just had a conversation with my wife today about buying a TIG welder. I would love to be a welder instead of a grinder.

I do believe though that if I buy a TIG it will be a Lincoln or Miller. I just don't think I want to invest in a precision machine without being able to get it serviced. Also, I wanting a machine that will run low amperage output for light stainless as will has handle any fabrication I want todo.

We will see. Someday maybe......In the mean time I will keep grinding.

John
I have considered buying a TIG myself John, but I always find something else to spend the cash on (or should I say SHE ). What I was trying to show was a simple, easy technique that some may not know to make complex pieces with simple tools that most everyone has. That is why I wanted to post it here, because that was the basis of your build. I can do okay with my MIG, but of course when but welding, it will have to be ground smooth either way.
Here are a few welds prior to grinding:

Kelly
Old 04-07-2014, 08:29 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
I have considered buying a TIG myself John, but I always find something else to spend the cash on (or should I say SHE ). What I was trying to show was a simple, easy technique that some may not know to make complex pieces with simple tools that most everyone has. That is why I wanted to post it here, because that was the basis of your build. I can do okay with my MIG, but of course when but welding, it will have to be ground smooth either way.
Here are a few welds prior to grinding:

Kelly
Very nice, and as you say, something the home builder on a budget can do.

Brian said a few weeks ago that any job could be done if it was broken down into small enough pieces. Your repair shows another example of that. There is nothing wrong with making a larger piece out of several smaller pieces.

John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-08-2014), carolinacustoms (04-07-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 06:11 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:

Kelly
A 66-67 Chevelle SS ????
Old 04-08-2014, 06:52 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
A 66-67 Chevelle SS ????

By the dash I was thinkin Cutlass 66-67.???
Old 04-08-2014, 07:08 AM

Last photo:

It is a 66 oldsmobile cutlass sports coupe. The roof and sail panels are same as a chevelle. Should make a nice car when finished. Owner is going back with a 455 roller engine and 6 speed trans backed up with a 3.36 posi.

Kelly
Old 04-08-2014, 09:52 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

The last couple of days have been producted some good results but not a lot to look at.

I removed the stainless from the LH side and found an old repair done with Lead.

You can really see here the water stood on the stainless trim and rusted the quarter from the outside in.

Unfortunately the EMS quarter panel doesn't come up quite high enough to catch all this. I will have to add about 2'inches to the top.

After I get the undercoating stripped from the inside of the wheel wells and the stainless removed from the other side I can start trimming out the remaining remnants of the truck floot, trunk drop downs and get this trunk floor ready to go in. The inner wheel wells and inside of the quarters are much better than I expected.

Any good news is welcome.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.