Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   General Rodding Tech (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/general-rodding-tech/)
-   -   53 buick drivetrain swap? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/53-buick-drivetrain-swap-234818.html)

unclebill 07-10-2013 11:38 AM

53 buick drivetrain swap?

ok
i have a 53 special and i cant afford to restore it.
so now i want to put a different drivetrain
chevy 350 and 3 speed auto as well as probably a ford 9" rear
from what i understand a 4 link rear would be easiest and cheapest.
i am just gonna sell the 2 straight 8's i have and probably scrap the dynaflow and rear end.
the dynaflow and floating rear parts are insanely expensive and nobody knows how to work on them anyway.
so away they go.
it is such a cool car we cant bear to not make it usable.
and drive it a LOT.
ANY IDEAS?

techinspector1 07-10-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclebill (Post 1692802)
from what i understand a 4 link rear would be easiest and cheapest.

I suspect a leaf spring rear suspension would be the cheapest and easiest.
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclebill (Post 1692802)
i am just gonna sell the 2 straight 8's i have and probably scrap the dynaflow and rear end.

Inliners members would be a good place to start, I would think......
Join up and post your stuff....
Inliners International devoted to all Inline powered vehicles

My best advice would be to purchase a book like this to guide you in the swap. There is likely more involved than you might think and there is always the possibility that you don't know what you don't know.....

327NUT 07-10-2013 12:23 PM

Idea's ???? yes, PLEASE !!!!! install a Buick engine, nailhead of any size or a 400-455. Everbody puts 350 chevys in their cars....be different and loyal to Buick.

unclebill 07-11-2013 02:10 PM

I Have all chrome ect. except for the hood ornament and a headlight cowl.
the engines are on a concrete slab under a tarp.
supposedly this car was a runner before the previous owner pulled the engine.
he had 2 of these cars and yanked the engine out of the other one and installed a (you guessed it) chevy 350.
he has been driving it around for a few years now.

killeratrod 07-11-2013 02:22 PM

seems to me the money you would spend on the swap , would be better spent of keeping original.
Kanter Auto - Product Detail

Kanter Auto - Product Detail

MARTINSR 07-11-2013 03:24 PM

I don't know, rebuilding a Buick is much more expensive than a Chevy, but really, are we in this hobby to save money or build and drive cool cars? Don't mean to be a smart alec, I just feel driving something different is more fun that's all. Says the guy who drives a stone stock flathead 6 powered Rambler everyday and today drove his Buick Gran Sport powered by a 401 nailhead while building a 48 Chevy pickup to be powered by a 235 inline six with three side draft 1953 Corvette intake. And I am CHEAP I don't make a bunch of money, not by a long shot, and my wife is a stay at home mom. I build this stuff on a SUPER tight budget. I just find a way to do what I want. I think to go the cheap route is often no cheaper first off, it's just a "different" way not so much cheaper. I think by the time you add up all the parts needed, it just isn't that much of a savings. Yes sometimes its a bunch, but most of the time I honestly think it's a dream that money is saved by a swap to a "cheaper" motor.

Brian

killeratrod 07-11-2013 03:30 PM

the master rebulit kit & a master rebulit trans kit are about $1800. small block chevy fitted into the hole about $1800 with out rebuild and no wiring. then if the rear is a pita. that you can change out. no brainer to keep it stock. worth a hell of a lot more down the road . good luck!

joe_padavano 07-12-2013 04:41 AM

SBC swaps into cool old cars are like Lambo doors on Civics. I don't care if the Chebby motor is free, the cost of the swap will be more than you think. If you're going to spend that money, at least be creative. A nailhead or Buford 455 would be cool. A Northstar or Atlas DOHC inline six would at least be interesting. Heck, I'd rather see a Hemi swap than yet another SBC.

NEW INTERIORS 07-12-2013 07:03 AM

I say build it the way YOU want too, And don't worry about what others like... It come's down to what you want....

Yes the SBC is over used and there's a reason behind it... If everyone built their cars the way others wanted or think it should be...It would be a boring world..

unclebill 07-12-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS (Post 1693496)
I say build it the way YOU want too, And don't worry about what others like... It come's down to what you want....

Yes the SBC is over used and there's a reason behind it... If everyone built their cars the way others wanted or think it should be...It would be a boring world..

there is a 3000 acre pull-a-part nearby with VERY low prices.
i have already restored a car 63 willys jeep and while the end product was great.*
it wasnt safe to drive on modern roads (too slow)
i am going with a modern drivetrain with cheap and readily available parts.

*lost big money when i sold it.

joe_padavano 07-12-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS (Post 1693496)

Well, we agree on one thing - the O.P. shouldn't care what anyone else thinks, you and me included.

Quote:

Funny thing, but when I go to a car show and ever car has an SBC under the hood, THAT'S boring.

MARTINSR 07-12-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_padavano (Post 1693510)
Well, we agree on one thing - the O.P. shouldn't care what anyone else thinks, you and me included.

Funny thing, but when I go to a car show and ever car has an SBC under the hood, THAT'S boring.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. But honestly, I don't hate the SBC, not by a long shot. It is one of the greatest motors in history, obviously it's a good choice. But it isn't magical, most ANY motor will do the same thing for what most people need, a little motor to drive around their hot rod or vintage car, ANY motor would do in 99% of the cars at a Goodguys event. For driving a car and having fun with an occasional throttle romp, most any motor would full fill the owners desires.

And I WILL go check out that 57 Chevy with the hot little small block, I will dig that 32 Ford with the period piece intake and valve covers that match the cars theme, I will cheer at the "Freight train" twin small block rail smoking the tires the entire 1/4 mile. But that stone stock appearing 63 Stude with the 350/350 crate motor.....yawn. That 34 Ford with the Chopped top and American five spokes with the TPI 350.....yawn.

The thing is, a LOT of people honestly think you MUST put a small block Chevy in at the first sign of trouble. Being a Buick nut for years you can not believe the stuff I have heard! How about a guy here in town with a 55 Buick who when asked why he pulled the original motor and put in a SBC with a total straight face he said the Buick "didn't run". How about the very cool Chevy pickup with the 235 in it that had an oil leak that no one could fix. One was a classic, a beautiful 401 at a swap meet, covered in cool aluminum goodies, he pulled it out of a vintage hot rod he had bought. When asked if it runs he said he never even tried to get it running! He pulled it out JUST because it was a Buick that he didn't have any experience with, where he knew about Chevys. He told us this!

For goodness sakes, use the motor you want and get it on the road. But don't be fooled into thinking the small block Chevy is going to some how make your life easy. Like I said, I dig having something interesting, that isn't only when it's done, it's the journey. Finding out about that motor you knew nothing about, that is fun to me. When I got my Rambler I knew NOTHING about these cars, I didn't know how many years the motor was used, if the next year was any different, if they had a high performance one, if they were all three speeds, if the motor was in any other model, I didn't even know the displacement, I knew NOTHING about them. In a short while I gained a bunch of info and never looked back. I could have had a small block Chevy in there in a week end for goodness sakes. But I sure wouldn't have the fun opening the hood and showing people the motor all the time in store parking lots like I do! The people who aren't even car nuts, they are blown away by how simple it is.:D

Brian

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...r/DSCF3797.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...r/100_4965.jpg

NEW INTERIORS 07-12-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_padavano (Post 1693510)

There's a easy way to fix that.. Stay home !!!!!:mwink:

I don't get all bent out of shape because one guy painted his car a color that I don't like... I don't get bent out of shape because another one used a ford motor in a chevy, And so on.... The SBC is a very dependable engine... Always was... People would be crazy not to use it... Again if your going to a cars show to see just what YOU like... I think YOU will be un-happy..:D

NEW INTERIORS 07-12-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 1693518)

The thing is, a LOT of people honestly think you MUST put a small block Chevy in at the first sign of trouble.

That is some BS if I ever seen some...:nono:

What About ALL the people that just grew up loving a SBC or Ford..

Myself,, I didn't start liking Chevy because EVERYONE else did... I seen the difference between them all... And seen where the Chevy engines was better.. I guess in my pass life I followed everyone that loved Chevy's...:drunk:

Maybe we need to make another thread On every engine VS Chevy..

unclebill 07-12-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS (Post 1693527)
There's a easy way to fix that.. Stay home !!!!!:mwink:

I don't get all bent out of shape because one guy painted his car a color that I don't like... I don't get bent out of shape because another one used a ford motor in a chevy, And so on.... The SBC is a very dependable engine... Always was... People would be crazy not to use it... Again if your going to a cars show to see just what YOU like... I think YOU will be un-happy..:D

i love unusual engines and museum quality restorations.
am i willing to sink two years wages and the next 10 years to make this buick perfect?
hell no.
but i AM willing to do what is needed to make this thing a safe,clean ,reliable cruiser for my baby.
and while i have ZERO brand loyalty.
chevy engines are so common place that i can buy parts off the shelf anywhere in this country.