Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 53 chevy bel air
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2002, 12:23 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

this is my first time to post on this site although i have been using this site for several months. i installed a hiedts mustII crossmember with all the components from a donor pinto and a later model power rack. it rides and drives excellent. before doing this i looked at several 53-54 chevys with both subframes and mustII and believe me the mustII is the way to go on these cars. if you subframe you are going to have to cut your frame in half be a very good fabricator/welder and will have to fab all new sheetmetal, core support, and bumper mounting brackets. with the mustII all your changing is the crossmember so none of your body mounts are affected. as far as cost goes by the time you purchase,rebuild and install the subframe you will have just as much in it as it will cost to do the mustII. lastly, dont use a hacked out crossmember buy a new one from hiedts or tci you will be much happier in the end. hope this helps. you can also look in the older posts by phat on this topic he knows what he is talking about and is very informative.