Hot Rod Forum banner

53 chevy pickup question

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Centerline 
#1 ·
:embarrass does any one have a 47-54 chevy pickup with a camaro front clip if so do the stock mounts for the motor work the guy that origanilly started the build on my truck welded motor mounts behind and lower than the front crossmember
I think he did this to put the motor farther back and lower for drag racing but I'm going for a daily driver also I'm putting a th400 behind my sbc and wondering if anyone knows a ball park idea of how long of a driveshaft I need
I know I need to place the motor and tranny then measure but unfortunatley my project and all my shop contents are stuffed in a tent style portable garage because the shop I was renting is being knocked down sorry for the long winded post but just putting some feelers out trying to feel like I'm getting something done

#2 ·
You need to first check and see if the crossmember has been narrowed. The Camaro clip is a bit wide for those trucks and it's entirely possible that he narrowed it to keep the tires from rubbing the fenders. If that's the case the new motor mounts would make sense. If the clip hasn't been narrowed they should work providing they're the correct ones for the engine you're going to use. Either way the lowered and relocated location won't bother a cruiser.

There is no way we can tell you the length of driveshaft you'll need. Each application is different. Depends exactly on the position of the motor, which trans and what rear end is used. Also rear end location can vary depending on the builder's preference.... stock location or centered in the wheel well.

#3 ·
Thanks Centerline from the looks that crossmember hasnt been narrowed but he did chop out a section on top in the middle for clearance for the oil pan from the looks of it BTW your truck is beautiful the attention to detail and workmanship that went in to getting that monster of a motor in there is incredible

#4 ·
You REALLY need to set the motor in there and put it where it needs to go and THEN make up the motor mounts. The previous guy may have done this, he may not have but YOU have to do it now. Don't even think of building motor mounts without putting the motor in there. I had a Camaro clipped frame for my truck but decided to go back to the I beam.

I believe the engine sat a little further forward on the camaro (in reference to the center line of the "axle") than originally in the truck. If this is so, the mounts would have to be moved back. But I have to tell you, again, when doing an engine swap, even one as common as this, you REALLY need to get the motor in there and put it where it needs to be, WITH the front rad support installed BEFORE making those motor mounts. A half inch, hell, an eigth inch can make a difference when you are talking about engine swaps.

Brian

#5 ·
53deluxe said:
Thanks Centerline from the looks that crossmember hasnt been narrowed but he did chop out a section on top in the middle for clearance for the oil pan from the looks of it BTW your truck is beautiful the attention to detail and workmanship that went in to getting that monster of a motor in there is incredible
Thanks. Actually I just sold that truck to one of the guys in the neighborhood. He has a lot of plans for it so when he's done I don't expect it to look much like it does now. He is a hotrodder and built a 37 Chevy that is really nice.

MartinSR knows these trucks too and I agree with his advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.