53 Chevy PU subframe - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2007, 04:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

53 Chevy PU subframe

1st time at this. I'm sure you have been asked things like this many times. I have a 72 Nova I'd like to use as a donor for my 53 Chevy PU. Any advice? Is this a bad choice? Any instruction manuals or videos available? Can you direct me to a prior discussion on this? Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2007, 07:33 AM

Fellow kansan

Hey. where you located in the sunflower state? on a hill i hope this week. There are lots of discussions of doing that front end swap on the old truck bulletin boards, like stovebolters or american classic parts. I am sure there are some craftsmen here too. There are those like me that chose to keep the straight axle and upgrade to power steering and disk brakes.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:38 AM

Hey! from Cairo Ks. (near Pratt).(the bad stuff missed us)
Thinking of using sub frame because steering & whole kit and caboodle would go with it ? If you keep straight axle, how big of a job to up grade to P/S? drive line? Do they drive & ride fairly decent ? I think I may prefer the OE axle.
Thanks for any input.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Check out willys36@aol.com's Journal for power steering change over:

http://hotrodders.com/forum/journal....ge=1&reverse=1
Old 05-08-2007, 10:29 AM

hey again

we are ten miles west of topeka. glad you missed the rough stuff. We used to live in St. John, we feel bad about what happened down there. Probably depends on what you want your truck to do. I knew I didnt have the equipment or skills to cut a truck in half and put it back together straight. Since then I have bought tools and learned a lot and I could probably do it now. Its not that bad to do the mods I did. To be honest, my gmc is up on stands right now, not finished, so i dont know how its going to ride at highway speed. I had to take a break from working on it for a couple of years, but its coming along again. I have a 350/350 with a 79 firebird rearend for a driveline. Its like a 2.73:1 rear so I am hoping it will keep the fuel usage within reason, enough so i can drive it regularly.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:43 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

I think the Nova/Camero stub is a good setup for those old trucks. Just do lots of measuring and squaring up. You really should have the body off and level the whole thing, measure off a centerline and diagonal.
I also like the straight axles. I like the way they ride. Disc brake kits are easy to find. Not too sure on power steering but you might want to look into the Chevy Astrovan box as it is reverse from most integral boxes. I used one off a late 70s Chevy 4x4 once on a 54 Dodge pickup but getting the pitman arm just right took a whole day.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:18 AM

50 Jimmy,
I looking for a decent ride/handling, not so much gobs of HP. With $4 & 5 gas coming thinking of fuel usage. maybe a 700R4, anyone hear of using a 4.3 v6? Maybe could use a Astro for drive line. I'd have the steering gear box like Willowbilly suggested as well.(cheers to Willowbilly)
Old 05-12-2007, 05:29 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

I had a MonteCarlo with a throttlebody 4.3 and I loved it. It got 26-27 at freeway speeds and had the power of a 305. They do seem a little anemic in full sized pickups though. I am looking at a 48 Chevy panel truck with no engine. I think I might consider the 250 6 for economical reasons. But then there is that rebuild 302 Ford engine and overdrive I can get for cheap and I always wanted to put a Ford engine in a Chevy just to try and balance out the universe, hey maybe a 300 Ford 6!!
BTW, I am using the Astro steering box on my 28 roadster pickup set up as cowl steering. I think it may be one of the first junkyard power cowl steering setups.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.