Hot Rod Forum banner

'53 Chevy stepside.

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Centerline 
#1 ·
Hi Guy's, i am hoping to look at this '53 Chevy with a view to buying it. It has a straight 6 fitted. I have a rough '79 C10 with a small block and auto box which i would hope to swap into the '53. Would this fit ok? Are there any problems i should look for with this particular model? What model is it? Do you think the bed has been lengthened, it look's like it.

Thanks guy's, Darren.

See less See more
#2 ·
There were a couple different beds on these trucks. It depends if it's a 1/2 Ton or a 3/4 Ton. The 3/4 of course having the longer bed.

When it comes to your SBC and automatic they will fit just fine. This swap has been done a zillion times. All that is really required is a weld or bolt in motor mount crossmember for the small block and a crossmember for the trans. You will have to change the rear to an open drive line rear (the best fit is a mid '70s Camaro or Firebird) but that's pretty much it.

Good luck.

Centerline

#4 ·
Thanks Centreline. After i posted the thread, the price has rocketed, it's on Ebay, so i might be dissapointed.

Nevermind, i'll keep looking.

Do you know how i could find a trustworthy agent to find me a similar truck in the States, and ship it to me. I'd prefer to get one straight from California if possible.

Cheers.

#5 ·
Can't help you with the agent but don't limit yourself to just California trucks. California and most of the South West, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas will all have relatively rust free vehicles.

Good luck.

nigelman said:
I am currently swapping the straight axel in my 53 Chevy for an 81 IFS from a 1/2 ton. I plan to use the rear end from the donor also. If I cut the front coils will it lower the ride?
Yes but it will also stiffen the ride considerably. Do not cut them with a torch, use a saws-all or cutoff wheel and only cut a half coil at a time. You want to lower the truck but in order to keep a decent ride cut the absolute minimum off the coils. Another option would be to have a spring shop fabricate new springs that will meet your requirements, but that might be a bit pricey.

Centerline

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.