53 chevy truck - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009, 02:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

53 chevy truck

Hi
I am here with a silly question.... First let me explain that I am here because I don't have a clue about things when it comes to modern cars let alone old ones so I apologize if I don't use the correct terms. My husband (who is good with cars) has a 53 Chevy truck that was given to him a long time ago. It is all original and was in good running condition but this year when he got it out something was wrong. I want surprise him and get the parts for him, but I don't know anything about.... well anything. What he has told me is there is a crack in the engine.... that is making water/ antifreeze leak into the oil. Do you all know what is causing that? Where the crack would be? What parts I might need to get to fix it? About how much it would cost for the parts? Where is the best place to get the parts? I know I don't have a ton of info for the problem but any help would be great. Thank you.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2009, 04:02 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smile a lot
Hi
I am here with a silly question.... First let me explain that I am here because I don't have a clue about things when it comes to modern cars let alone old ones so I apologize if I don't use the correct terms. My husband (who is good with cars) has a 53 Chevy truck that was given to him a long time ago. It is all original and was in good running condition but this year when he got it out something was wrong. I want surprise him and get the parts for him, but I don't know anything about.... well anything. What he has told me is there is a crack in the engine.... that is making water/ antifreeze leak into the oil. Do you all know what is causing that? Where the crack would be? What parts I might need to get to fix it? About how much it would cost for the parts? Where is the best place to get the parts? I know I don't have a ton of info for the problem but any help would be great. Thank you.
If a person would begin looking for parts for this motor, they would describe it to the parts guy as a "1953 Chevrolet pickup truck 3.5 liter, 216 cubic inch inline six-cylinder motor". Water leaking into the oil could be the result of a cracked cylinder head or a cracked cylinder block or it could even be a pooched head gasket with nothing cracked at all. This will take some teardown and detective work, so you don't know what to buy until you have it apart. Thank you very much for being a caring wife though. You're a keeper.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:09 PM

Thank you for your advice techinspector1. I guess I have to just give him a check and let him start into it him self. Can you tell me about how much I could expect the most pricey one of those repairs would be. We have a some what tight budget so I need to save the money.... Again thank you for your help.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:41 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
If it's simply a head gasket, it can be replaced, along with other gaskets that will be replaced along with doing the job, for less than $65 if he does all the work. I might use a NAPA Cylinder Head Gasket Kit that includes all the gaskets you will need to remove and replace to replace the head gasket. Part number FPG HS7276B, $61.99 online price. I would feel pretty confident that if the truck has been cared for in the past, that it is just a matter of a head gasket that has deteriorated and is allowing coolant into the oil and also possibly into one or more of the combustion chambers. Pull the spark plugs and examine them. If one or more of the cylinder head combustion chambers is getting coolant into it, the spark plugs from those chambers will look like they have been steam cleaned and will have a very different look (they will look new) from the other spark plugs in chambers that have not had coolant leaking into them.

Anyway, that's what I would do if I were in your position. I'd replace the head gasket and hope for the best. If I were still getting coolant into the oil after the head gasket replacement, I might try using one of the chemical compounds to seal the crack/cracks in the head or block. Although I have never used it, I might try a product called Steel Seal. I have friends who swear it works. I personally wouldn't use it to try to repair a head gasket, I would first replace the head gasket. But if I got the new head gasket in place and still had a leak, I might try it before considering finding another motor. Here's a link....
http://www.steelseal.com/

I might take the head to an automotive machine shop and have it magnafluxed while it is off for the head gasket replacement. If the head isn't cracked, great, bolt it back on with the new head gasket in place and you're probably home-free.
If the head is cracked (must be cleaned up and magnafluxed at an automotive machine shop to determine if cracked or not), then the least costly way to fix it would be to find a head from a Chevy 216 in an automotive recycling yard (boneyard or junkyard in rodder parlance), have it magnafluxed for cracks and freshen up the valve job. The cost will be determined by the prevailing costs at the boneyards and machine shops in your area. This could be a 216 head from a car motor or a truck motor, either should work, same basic motor was used in cars and trucks from 1947 through 1953.

If the head isn't cracked and you have tried a new head gasket, then the culprit is the cylinder block and that means disconnecting and removing the entire motor. At that point, I would call around and find another whole motor, preferably one that could be started and run to verify its validity before I laid out the cash for it. I might expect to pay $300-$500 for a good running motor in this area. It would cost waaayyy more than that to totally rebuild one.

But my best experience tells me that the head gasket/Steel Seal will be the fix. Total cost, less than $150.

Others on this board may have alternate suggestions for you. I'm just telling you how I personally would proceed if I were on a tight budget. Head gasket first, then Steel Seal, then pull the motor and find another motor.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:01 AM

techinspector1 Thank you again. Really thank you thank you thank you. This really helps and from the sounds of it all I should be able afford these prices and even with how little I know about cars it sounds like I can now go and find what I need. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I hope you have a great day. If I run into anything else I will be back but until then hope all goes well for you, and thank you for your help.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.