Hot Rod Forum banner

53 Chevy truck ifs

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  MARTINSR 
#1 ·
I have a 53 Chevy truck 3/4 ton all original and I have access to a 84 monte Carlo. I am considering putting the front clip and rear end on my 53 frame. Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I'm not big on the frame clip personally. Cutting and welding the frame together is just one small part of the project, cutting inner fenders and making bumper brackets up and the worse part the rad support are all more than the frame if you ask me. That Monte is a better choice than the popular Camaro being it's narrower by a few inches, makes a BIG difference.

What is stopping you from getting one of the many kits to put a Mustang II type front end on it? If it's the money, think about that again, rebuilding Monte, replacing the leaking steering box with rebuilt, all the metal needed, etc. The kit isn't that much when you add it all up. They have all kinds of rear leafs that simply bolt in that improve that old trucks ride too.

Think about it, but here is some study for you on doing the graft you have planned.

http://www.hotrodders.com/search?q=...uspension-brakes-steering/&ss=4753j1530517j24

Brian

#4 ·
I'm with you as far as stock Pinto stuff, but with the aftermarket ones in the rodding world, people use them all the time. I have a 56 Ford pickup parked 30 feet from me right now with one that has been on it for years. I understand your concerns of course, I am just looking at other options. The stock Mustang was about a 1000 lbs less than the truck. :pain: But there are TONS of options now.

On the rear end, if he doesn't plan on a big hp motor or slicks or hauling hay that will be fine. The only real difference between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton truck of this year are the front hubs and springs, the rear axle housing assy with springs and about 6 inches in the frame and bed length. Put half ton hubs and a rear axle assy and springs on a 3/4 ton and you effectively have a 1/2 ton truck.

My own 48 started out as a 3/4 ton, it had a 55 Passenger car rear installed with leafs removed from the springs and pass car hubs on the front with leafs removed and that was all there was to it until I put a 1/2 frame under it a few years after I got it. So there isn't that big of a difference.

The truck only weights about 270 lbs more than that Monte Carlo, mine tipped the scales at about 3500 with the 12 bolt rear, with a Buick 401 and Turbo 400 to give an idea.

Your concerns are valid, I am not saying they aren't, but there are a bunch of options outside of frame clips.

Brian

#5 ·
I'm building a 3/4 ton '48 using an S10 rearend and a Heidts Mustang 2 front end. I picked the M2 up for $1500 on EBAY including power rack, dropped spindles, sway bar, big block springs and stainless brake lines. If you shop around you can find some good deals.

I subframed my '52 Chev panel and that creates more work with the front fenders, bumper etc. That is why I'm going with the M2 this time.

Good luck with your build.

#7 ·
It's actually about two inches narrower than the Camaro front clip that everyone does!
Now, again, I don't like either one, it's still too wide and I agree with you. There are just too many reasons to not do it. But plenty of people do and they make it work.

But I agree, it's too wide. If you are forced to mess with tire size and rim offset just to get something to fit instead of the tire and rim you want that looks the best to you, that is one reason to not do a frame clip.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.