Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 53 Chevy truck ifs
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano View Post
The Mustang II front end is actually the PINTO front end - not something I'd put under a 3/4 ton truck. The Monte has a 7.5" rear axle - also not something I'd put under a 3/4 ton truck.
I'm with you as far as stock Pinto stuff, but with the aftermarket ones in the rodding world, people use them all the time. I have a 56 Ford pickup parked 30 feet from me right now with one that has been on it for years. I understand your concerns of course, I am just looking at other options. The stock Mustang was about a 1000 lbs less than the truck. But there are TONS of options now.

On the rear end, if he doesn't plan on a big hp motor or slicks or hauling hay that will be fine. The only real difference between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton truck of this year are the front hubs and springs, the rear axle housing assy with springs and about 6 inches in the frame and bed length. Put half ton hubs and a rear axle assy and springs on a 3/4 ton and you effectively have a 1/2 ton truck.

My own 48 started out as a 3/4 ton, it had a 55 Passenger car rear installed with leafs removed from the springs and pass car hubs on the front with leafs removed and that was all there was to it until I put a 1/2 frame under it a few years after I got it. So there isn't that big of a difference.

The truck only weights about 270 lbs more than that Monte Carlo, mine tipped the scales at about 3500 with the 12 bolt rear, with a Buick 401 and Turbo 400 to give an idea.

Your concerns are valid, I am not saying they aren't, but there are a bunch of options outside of frame clips.

Brian