53 Ford Mainline - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2006, 08:13 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

53 Ford Mainline

I am new to this form ! I hope to make some friend and find & trade all the information that can be giving! I am buying a 53 ford mainline . She will be my first rat Rod ! I am trying to find some floor pans and body parts to patch her up . She only has a 6 cyl but she does run ! I will put a small-block 351w in later . Any place to start to fix the floor pans . I also want to know what is the best welding to use for the floor pans and body work ? MIG--TIG or what is the EASIEST to work with . I have only used a torch about 20+ years ago !!
Thanks,Jim

Advertisement

Last edited by RetroJim; 02-19-2006 at 08:13 PM. Reason: wrong year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2006, 11:21 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroJim
I am new to this form ! I hope to make some friend and find & trade all the information that can be giving! I am buying a 53 ford mainline . She will be my first rat Rod ! I am trying to find some floor pans and body parts to patch her up . She only has a 6 cyl but she does run ! I will put a small-block 351w in later . Any place to start to fix the floor pans . I also want to know what is the best welding to use for the floor pans and body work ? MIG--TIG or what is the EASIEST to work with . I have only used a torch about 20+ years ago !!
Thanks,Jim
No doubt about it, get yourself a MIG.

For sheetmetal work, the 115 volt models are fine. Definitely use gas, the fluxed wire for use without gas is way too messy. Also, I recommend getting one with continuous output voltage and wirefeed speed controls. You will pay more for this and the models at Home Depot and Lowes don't have this feature. Stick with name brands, get a Miller, Hobart or Lincoln.

This is the model I went with:
http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat...eet.asp?p=7082

This is my first MIG. Like you I had only stick and torch welded before this. I can tell you welding with MIG is fun as heck and really easy!

Roger
Old 02-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Lovin' The Cruzin'

Last photo:

re: 53 Ford Mainline

RetroJim,
Where in PA are you located? I live in Southeastern PA and am about at the stage you are---planning to weld in front floor pans for my 1964 Corvair convertible. I plan on borrowing a MIG set-up from a friend of mine, but I will admit that the only other time I tried one was at a swapmeet I know I will be able to get it done, and I will be able to get good advice from my buddy (and from this forum), so I look forward to it. Welcome to the forum, and keep us updated on your progress. Hope you get the sheetmetal you need; I'm still saving $$$ for my floorboards
Old 02-20-2006, 12:42 PM

Last photo:

Hey Jim,

I thought you might like to see a photo of my setup:

The cart is from Harbor Freight. I had to do a little customizing to get it to fit well but the cart is good for the price.

Old 02-20-2006, 07:21 PM

Rodger ,
You are the lucky one with the nice garage ! I see you have one of those super nice floors ! Lucky you !!
I looked at some welders today . The one you have is super nice . Right now I can't afford the one you have . I saw the Lincoln but is hand fed . It is a real nice set up for the price . Like $369 It comes with just about everything but the cart . I am going to have to do mine in the drive way . No garage for me =((( ! I am going to have to do it the hard way but will make it work . At least my driveway is blacktop so I don't have to lay in the stones !!!
It even comes with a VIDEO ! how great is that . Anyway I will let you know how it does when I get it . I have to get the welder maybe next month .

Thanks for everything ,
Jim
Old 04-27-2006, 11:44 AM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:

Say Jim, I've got a 54 Mainline that will need major rust repair, so I was wondering if you could post some pics of the work you've done?
Old 04-27-2006, 12:08 PM

54 mainline rust repair

Well I don't have the Mainline anymore ! I went and bought a 55 Fairlane that I have been driving ! It is in a heck of alot better shape than the Mainline !! It has some rust that someone else has patched up . I am going to rebuild my 272 into a faster 292 with HP heads and an Isky cam and hopefully a 2-4bbl set-up . I will put a C4 behind it and change the rear . I am going to start buying everything as I can and hope to do all the engine this winter ! I will be fixing all the panels that were patched maybe in 2007 winter if all goes well .
Sorry I can't help you on the rust . I will have to put in new quarter panels in mine . Everything else is still OK !!

Thanks ,
Jim
Old 04-27-2006, 02:47 PM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:

Thanks anyway.
It sounds like a fun project.
Mine is swiss cheese, so there won't be much fun in mine.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:20 PM

53 Ford Mainline

Mine needed all floors , inner & outer rear quarters , both front lower fenders , floor supports , but of all things ... the trunk was good !! Figure that out .
Anyway good luck . If you need some places to find stuff Please let me know . My address is retrojim@suscom.net .

Good Luck !!

Jim

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.