Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   53ípost chop (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/53-post-chop-219900.html)

HrdNox 05-28-2012 05:32 AM

53ípost chop

5 Attachment(s)
Just a little update for what itís worth..Went with a mild 1 1/2Ē chop and removed the drip rails.Keeping the curved glass in rear (looks good if itís not leaned too hard imo).S/S fuel tank from ricks with pump & filter inside.And thatís about it for now. :)

John long 05-28-2012 06:12 AM

I noticed you brought the top straight down, leaned and re-angled the A pillers to meet. Is that not going to make cutting and fitting the windshield extra difficult?

John L

HrdNox 05-28-2012 07:45 AM

Hey bud..Tried to keep the angle the same but only shorter.If that makes any sense..Ordered laminated glass for both front and rear so cutting it down should be much easier.Got the glass in fri so let ya know how it goes.

John long 05-28-2012 08:02 AM

Pictures, Pictures... Lots of pictures :) . This will really be interesting to follow. I really enjoyed the thread on cutting down laminated windshields a month or so ago. There is no right or wrong way to customize a car but some ways are easier than others. I personally really like the 1 1/2 chop. It brings the car into proportion without looking too extreme. Having chopped a merc 3 1/2 inches I can guarantee yours will be easier to drive around town also.

Keep your camera handy. We are waiting. :drool:

John L

dinger 05-28-2012 08:18 AM

Very nice, I like a subtle chop on the early 50's Chevys, the kind where it brings the car into a nice proportion as to where you have to look hard to see the chop. As John sas, post pics, this will be a cool build. Dan

MARTINSR 05-28-2012 08:50 AM

Heck yeah that looks good. That mild of a chop changes everything in the difficulty dept, things go sooooo much smoother with a little less cut out. I am thinking with that little cut leaning the A pillars back did't change the shape of the hole that much. But without a doubt get that glass cut so you can fit the top to it as you finish the chop.

Brian

boatbob2 05-28-2012 09:04 AM

Chop Top,,,,,,

Hi,ive only chopped one top,and cut down one windshield,so im NOT the authority. BUT,what i did,was use a 1/8 inch door skin (HD) to make a pattern,then after the skin,fits the hole,perfectly,i put it into the rubber weatherstripping,and installed the skin,as a windshield,(i had to make 2 patterns) then,when i was satisfied with the fit,i removed it from the weatherstripping,and duct taped it to the new glass before cutting.

HrdNox 10-13-2013 11:04 AM

5 Attachment(s)
A little more progress: Top done,glass out being cut,bottom all stitch welded and ground.Booster,a/c fitted.Steering column was a little long but worked out ok.Fenders blasted fixed up and POR'ed / epoxy primed.Body now back from blaster.Will spray frame a satin (like suspension) and belly w/lizard skin? :)

HrdNox 10-13-2013 11:15 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Few more.Hope to have more soon.:)

shine 10-13-2013 03:25 PM

nice work ! i like a small chop . extreme just doesn't work on everything. the glass guy i use to use would sand down windshields on a wet belt so he could fit them. plus he didn't break any . i could retire on the windshields i've busted . :(

keep the picks coming .

HrdNox 10-14-2013 02:20 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the random order of pics.But,I know you sharp fellas can put em in order.Had a decent thread going at the HAMB but they were taken down as soon as I posted the body back from the blaster.:rolleyes:

John long 10-14-2013 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HrdNox (Post 1834514)
Sorry for the random order of pics.But,I know you sharp fellas can put em in order.Had a decent thread going at the HAMB but they were taken down as soon as I posted the body back from the blaster.:rolleyes:

Was it not "traditional" enough for them?

John

HrdNox 10-14-2013 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John long (Post 1834562)
Was it not "traditional" enough for them?

John

I guess not.Suppose the cage gave someone cardiac arrest.:confused:Looks like i'm here to stay.:thumbup:

John long 10-14-2013 05:08 AM

Cool, We need all the 53 Chevies we can get. :welcome: Keep the pictures coming. I have enjoyed watching your build. :thumbup:

John

MARTINSR 10-14-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HrdNox (Post 1834586)
I guess not.Suppose the cage gave someone cardiac arrest.:confused:Looks like i'm here to stay.:thumbup:

God that's bizarre! Life is too short to act that way, and life is too short to put up with it. :D

Brian