Hot Rod Forum banner

54 Chevy 210 best brake option

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  timothale 
#1 ·
Ok I an trying to keep a low buget here but make the car fun and safe. 54 Chevy Delray 2 door with 350 (200hp) 700r4 10 bolt rear. Later (a couple years) I want to bump to 450hp stick shift. I would do orriginal brakes but the rear brakes can not be put on the 10 bolt rear. What should I put on the rear and what do I need to upgrade from the orriginal setup to make it all work. In other words what are good options for my car to have safe/performance brakes?
thanks!

#2 ·
The obvious "best" choice is to convert it to 4 wheel disc brakes.

The front brakes carry much more of the stopping load than the rears (70/30-ish), and they should be discs if at all possible for their superior fade resistance if nothing else. For the fronts there are kits available from places like MP brakes that will get you the parts needed.

There were optional rear disc brakes available on the second generation F-body cars that used the 8.5" corporate 10-bolt rear end, but they leave a lot to be desired. The third gen cars were better, but I have no info on what's required to use them on a second gen 10-bolt. If it were me, I'd look awful hard at using an 11" rear drum brake set-up. Match it to the vehicle the rear end came from. If you wanted rear disc brakes, they're available as well from any number of places.

In many cases there's the option of adapting OEM parts.

#3 · (Edited)
Cad eldo ?

I pulled a couple sets of rear disc brakes of 80's Cad eldo front wheel drives cars ,I think the Buick Rivera's are the same. they are still in a Milk crate, they were to go on a couple GM rears for a project my son was gathering parts for. they were supposed to be an almost bolt on swap. The eldo have the E brake calipers , and Eldo calipers were at one time the pieces used for conversion kits you could buy. Speed way sells weld on brackets for various gm calipers but the Eldo were supposed to be bolt on. I Think some of the GM axle shafts have to have the end nub turned down to fit into the center hole in the Rotor.

#4 ·
I pulled a couple sets of rear disc brakes of 80's Cad eldo front wheel drives cars ,I think the Buick Rivera's are the same. they are still in a Milk crate, they were to go on a couple GM rears for a project my son was gathering parts for. they were supposed to be an almost bolt on swap. The eldo have the E brake calipers , and Eldo calipers were at one time the pieces used for conversion kits you could buy. Speed way sells weld on brackets for various gm calipers but the Eldo were supposed to be bolt on. I Think some of the GM axle shafts have to have the end nub turned down to fit into the center hole in the Rotor.
Are you looking to sell these? Im trying to figure out if that is what you are saying.

#5 ·
no

they are in the parts rack, My son is now working In Calif, We have a couple Gm rear ends and front suspensions for someday projects/ The chevy stovebolt website probably has info on how to install them. The 54 chevy and interchange years spindles are used a lot on T buckest and speedway has the Disc brake kit. If you do front disc it doesn't cost that much more than a rear drum rebuild to do disc on the rear. We have a friend that owns a repair shop and wrecking yard. when he is crushing cars we help and get any parts of the crusher cars free. We have a lot of parts for the someday projects. 31 Nash roadster, 32 Ford glass roadster, 2 t buckets, 36 Plymouth coupe, 37 pontiac, 46 international pickup, 46 ford pickup 34 chevy Pickup, etc, etc, old firetruck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.