'54 Chevy Pickup - Adjusting the Doors - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2003, 02:47 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

oh yah
i forgot, if you remove the catch on the door piller and then check the door for alighnment you will be able to tell if the door needs adjustment or if it is the latch that's giving you problems.
if the door needs no adjustment that is ,it's not sagging or hitting and fits nice then fix the latches the bear claw latches are excellant i have them in my truck
thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2003, 03:53 PM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

Thanks OneOff ... that's a good one.

I'm new at this ... just got my '54 ... but I'm learning a whole lot, and am more than happy to share it all! I think it's a real BLAST to talk to others who have the same interests and ESPECIALLY those who have the same truck.

Mine has air conditioning, and the unit looks old but works well ... so tonight I took the face off of it and got some CHROME paint from WalMart's ... tomorrow I'll run the paint can under real hot water for a while and re-spray these plastic-chrome pieces ... and voila! My Air will look as good as it feels!

Alan
Old 02-24-2003, 12:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

horvath; Your truck already has good bear-claw latches so as HK says, it is just a matter of loosening bolts and adjusting by eye/ear 'til things work right. In addition too hinge adjustments, you can also adjust the striker plate in the door jamb by loosening the 4 hold down screws. Sounds like you need to adjust your striker plate out a little so it latches with a little less force. Also, they make little spring clips that clip over the latch dog in the door mechanism that takes up the slack that develops over time in these latches. Jim Carter, Chevs of the 40s, etc. all carry these clips. I have a set on my truck and they really improve the door function.
Old 02-24-2003, 03:26 PM

Last photo:

Very cool info!

THANKS, Willys36 ... I'll definitely try those spring clips.

But as far as adjusting the hinges, etc., can I manage it by myself? Or wait till I have someone with me, to help? I hear it's kinda difficult to do as a one-man operation.

Alan

[ February 24, 2003: Message edited by: horvath ]</p>
Old 04-24-2003, 10:22 AM

Good string of messages. I also just purchased an old truck, 55 1st series. Very similar to the 54 except for a couple changes to the hood and driveshaft. Going through all the mechanical items to make this a daily driver then work on the cosmetic items. Its in pretty good shape with minor rust and parts that don't work. The one thing I can't find is a chrome grill. The one I have is painted but would like to replace it.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:10 PM

HD
You may have problems finding chrome, you may have to send it to a bumper shop to get the old one chromed.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:56 AM

Normally that would be a good idea, to have the old one rechromed. However, it has had some "bondo" work done on it then painted. Don't think the chrome process will work on the bondo. I'll keep looking but they are rare. Same for the hood emblem. also rare.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:53 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

How about a spray on chrome finish! This stuff looks like a super fix for your problem.

http://www.alsacorp.com/
Old 05-13-2003, 07:20 AM

hey alan just wanted to say thanx for the insurance heads up. grundy is awsome for cheap insurance. my 65 elkie is $ 95.00 a year. i thought it was per month but no its for a year. i valued it at $ 10,000. mostly for the body. its near perfect. no bondo. cuz its a desert car i guess. its got a z28 motor th350 edlebrock carb and high rise. mallory dist. k&n filter and a few other thing i cant think of now.(no coffee yet)
i was paying $ 211.00 per yr w/liability only coverage. AIG while having the cheapest rates for my other 3 cars sucks for the elkie.
again thanx and good luck w/the 54. neat truck. i had one back in the 70's bone stock 216 splash motor. 6 volt and cherry too. wish i still had it. along w/10 other classic rides i owned.
keep truckin bro.

ron aka eckcamino ron
Old 05-13-2003, 08:52 AM

Last photo:

Hey, Ron

I'm glad you checked Grundy out! They are the coolest!

I had a '79 El Camino back in '96 ... it inspired me to write a song titled "Right As Rain" (although all my fans call it "The El Camino Song") - you might want to check it out :
<a href="http://AlanHorvath.com/p_rain.html" target="_blank">The El Camino Song</a>

Alan Horvath
<a href="http://AlanHorvath.com/54chevy/" target="_blank">54 Chevy Pickup</a>
Old 05-15-2003, 03:00 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

the way i adjusted my doors was to remove the access panels to the door hinge bolts and shut the door. get in from the other side of the truck and tighten up all the bolts you can reach. open the door or whatever and tighten up the rest. i gotta newer model so there may be differences but it worked great. they shut just by pushing on them slightly before i put the new weatherstripping on them, now i have to slam them too. blah, plus, it's been about a year now, i never put the center bolts in the top hinge, so it has slipped alittle probbly so i should re adjust mine too, you can also play with the striker plate alittle too, but the way i said at the start works great. dont forget you can get a piece that snaps over the latch that takes up alot of slack and dont forget the white lithium grease. btw i got 9 g's just in my frame swap. i get looks from everybody esp little kids who crap their pants. it's even better when they see my wife drivin it
Old 05-15-2003, 04:47 PM

Last photo:

Hey, bullheimer

Those "little clips" that just snap on is what did it for me. I was in total shock! For some chump-change and 2 minutes of my time, I no longer had to slam my doors! The close perfectly now! It's amazing, man.

Alan

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.