54' chevy rear end - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2006, 11:07 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

54' chevy rear end

Got my tax return coming, and I'm spending it! I have a 54' chevy 4 door 210 which is a good driver. Just drives like a 52 year old car. I just redid the brakes and they are still scary. And I want a car I can feel safe driving my family in. So, I decided to redo it. I ordered a complete TCI front end with disc brakes and all. I am going to put a v-8 in it too. My question is about the rear end. I have to ditch the torque tube, so what are compatable rear ends for these cars? I have a 69 camaro rear end that is in great shape, but I'm pretty sure it's too wide? Anyone else know what rear ends fit? The other thing I need to know is what steering columns will work? I know I can go with the after market, but I would like to go junkyard style on that one.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2006, 11:24 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinpierce
I have a 69 camaro rear end that is in great shape, but I'm pretty sure it's too wide? Anyone else know what rear ends fit? .
I believe the 69 Camaro is just about right.....I installed a 67 Camaro rear end under a 53 Chevrolet years ago and it worked great....

A 67 and a 69 Camaro rear is the same width.
A 53 and a 54 Chevrolet are the same underneath.

SO.....you should be good....

The preferred steering column around here is the mid to late 70's GMC/Chevy Van...tilt steering column.

They have the P R N D d2 d1 on the column.........and have no key on the column.....the neutral start switch is also on the column.......

Perfect for adapting
Old 02-10-2006, 12:47 PM

Good news on the 69' chevy rear end working! As for the steering column, I would like to retain the original look of the interior as possible so is there anyway of modifying the original. Maybe cutting it short and installing a kit of some sort to make it work?
Old 02-11-2006, 08:12 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Are you going to run a automatic or a manual shift ?
And ....what type of column did you currently have in the car....automatic or manual ?
Old 02-11-2006, 11:27 AM
Lo Blo

Last photo:

Reply to Deuce on the steering column

I have the same problem i want a tilt column also i have a 50 chevy styline 2 dr and there is a tilt in there now but it is a tilt automatic with the shifter on the column i was wondering if there are any applications with a tilt with no column shift at all as i am putting shifter on the floor thanks, also as to the rear end if not already taken care of the camaro rear end will work as well as s10 and nova they are all the same corporate gm 10 bolt
Old 02-13-2006, 08:01 AM

Right now it's a 3 speed column shift. I want to switch it to a floor shift. I have never liked the mechanics involved with column shift automatics. I will probably go with a Lokar floor shift model.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:31 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

I doubt you'll find a drop in column wihtout the shifter on it, unless one from a 1 ton Chevy truck of early 50s vintage will fit (they had four speed floor shifts). Unless the column shifter is worn out, it will work fine. What I've done in the past is clamp the two shift levers together (mine were close enough I used a pair of fender washers on a bolt between the levers) then connect the shift rod for an auto to the lever that aligns best with the quadrant on the column. You could just use one lever or the other, but have to remember NOT to pull the lever. When you get it out of the groove the lever you have the auto trans hooked to it's not fun getting it back. Clamping them togther fixes that problem -- they both move together all the time. Rod shops have nice aluminum and plastic shift quadrants that stick to the column with an arrow. Stick the arrow to the moving collar, quadrant to fixed part between collar and steering wheel. Easy conversion that looks factory, but it is still on the column.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.