Hot Rod Forum banner

54 chevy susp

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  57Chevyman 
#1 ·
Hi All, I have a 54 chevy pickup. I am getting ready to install a TCI ifs with airbags. I have a mig welder and would like to do the whole install myself. Would flux core wire be ok to use? Also I would like better directions maybe with a few more pics? Any assistance would be helpfull as this is my first major do it yourself project.

p.s. Isnt there checks I should do prior to all of this ie, measuring frame for squareness,width, etc etc...
Josh

[ March 15, 2002: Message edited by: JPSmith ]</p>

#2 ·
You can get the front to rear measurment right on by using two U/C pieces of metal under the wheels from one side to the other. with wheels mounted to the brake drums without tires on the wheels. set up the front using jacks to support everything, under the front of the frame. now measure front to rear and adjust as necessary. a 4" or 6" wide C/U is all you want, just have it wider than the wheels/without the tires. Adjust the front end and weld/tack the front end after the front to rear adjustment is right on. You will be measuring front to rear and side to side.

#3 ·
The flux core wire will work fine. Just folow the welder recomendations and turn up the heat to get maximum penetration.

Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.