Hot Rod Forum banner

54 Chevy truck frame swap

9K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  poncho62 
#1 ·
Hi I am new to this board.I recently got a 54 Chevy 3100 and have access to a couple of Camaros will they work for a frame swap or would I be better using a S10 frame.Any info on this would be awesome,Thanks

#2 ·
Is there anything wrong with the original frame? if it is in good shape, get a MII cross-member and fit it to the original frame. As you can tell I am not a fan of cutting the frame in half and then trying to get the camaro clip square on the frame and then having to build up the core support and bumper mounting points. In my humble opinion the S-10 frame requires a lot of modifications to make work. That is just my $0.02 worth.

#3 ·
#5 ·
A lot of the experts say that the Mustang 11 front end is not heavy enough for a truck. Fine for a street rod that weighs about 2000 pounds, but a truck can weigh twice that. I tend to agree with them. You need a good solid front suspension in a truck. I used a Nova front clip in my 51 Ford and am happy as can be with it.

The one thing though, is like Eblack36 said, is that you must be carefull and make sure you get it square. The trick is...measure, measure, measure....and then measure again, before you cut anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.