54 F350 4 speed manual, will it work with a SBC? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2011, 10:02 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

54 F350 4 speed manual, will it work with a SBC?

if i were to yank out the original 239 ford v-8 engine out of the 54 dually F350 i have and put in a SBC engine would a 72 older truck cast iron chevy bellhousing bolt to the 1954 ford 4 speed tranny and would everything else be ok as far as input shaft and clutch and all that?

which year make mode parts would i need to use as far as clutch disc and pressure plate and TO bearing go?

would a chevy TO bearing work on the ford input shaft?

could i use a ford clutch disc of the splines are not the same as a chevy? 10 spline? or how many splines are on a ford 4 speed in 1954?

hopefully the ford trucks didnt usde the bellhousing mounted clutch linkage pivot ball stud?

if so then im gonna be screwed then and have to go with a chevy tranny and custom clutch linkage then...

thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2011, 02:00 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Getting that combo to work would end up being a nightmare for you,if you are retaining the F-350 rear end it would be much better to go with a 700R4 transmission,universal mounts can be had from Trans-Dapt or Speedway Motors to make the swap.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:53 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

what do you want to make.

If it's going to be a farm truck and you need a granny gear, the larger chevy truck bell housing with enough space for a 12 in or larger clutch will bolt up to a lot of truck transmissions, I know one guy who put a sbc in his 2 ton international . just mixed up parts, chevy truck bell housing bolted up to the Int trans,.. If you are wanting a highway truck, a late GM OD auto would be better.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:01 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

engine swap.

I think the ford truck would be 1 3/8 I am not sure, You use the disc and throwout bearing to match the trans, several sizes are available, depending on flywheel hole pattern. The guy with the international first used a car clutch and It didn't last,, Our SBC into the jeep used a car clutch. the last swap was to 78 Blazer Trans and tranfer case, rear end , front disc axles. the Blazer clutch was larger .

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.