Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 54 ford truck questions
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 04:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast68
anyways are these trucks 6 volt and are they neg or pos grounded?
54 Ford trucks were 6 volt POSITIVE ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast68
if 6 volt then can i convert it to 12 volt very easily or do i have to swap starter and alternator out? what about the distributor? not worried about dash and guages stuff
You can use the 6v starter. It can take 12v for short spurts, and doesn't care about polarity.
To convert to 12v you will need to:
-Change out the generator and regulator, or convert to an alternator.
-Replace the battery.
-Install a voltage reducer on the gauge power circuit.
-Install a voltage dropping resistor on the heater motor.
-Install 12v ignition coil and a proper ballast resistor.
-Replace starter solenoid with a '56+ style 12v w/resistor bypass.
-Change starter button to '56 style (2 terminal that switches power side instead of single terminal that switches to ground) and rework wiring as necessary.
-Replace every light bulb in entire truck with 12v equivalent.

And of course, if your wiring looks at all questionable you will save a lot of headaches by replacing it. Stock reproduction harnesses for a truck like this are simple and therefore not very expensive.

I may be forgetting something, Hopefully someone will double check my post and correct me if I'm wrong.

All that said, If the truck is going to remain stock, I wouldn't convert it to 12v. With good wires, good switches/starter/gen/coil, and clean connections, 6v systems work just fine. I have seen many old cars that have been needlessly converted to 12v when all they needed was to have the wiring terminals cleaned up.

Good Luck...Hope this helps...