55-57 Chevy Rearend. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2009, 12:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

55-57 Chevy Rearend.

I need to narrow the rearaxle in my 1951 Austin Gasser. I am installing a 4-link rear frame and want the tires inside the wheel wells. I believe the axle I have is out of a 57 Chevy with 456 posi and Strange axles. I have a Ford 9" axle housing but would need to install a complete carrier with gearing/posi if I used it. The chevy axle has been bulletproof so far.

1. Is keeping the Chevy a wise choice over the Ford 9" ?
2. Will Strange shorten and re-spline my axles ?
3. The Chevy rear axle looks very simuliar to the Ford 9" with NO rear cover.
4. How can I be sure that the rear axle I have is a "50's" chevy ?
5. Can I buy axle housing ends and weld them on the shortened housings rather than removing a 4" section and re-welding ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2009, 05:17 PM
"Don't need no V/8"-grandpaw

chev/ford

Depends- there is no comparsion between the two. A 9in ford is MUCH stronger. I would sell the chev and build the ford . You will not break the ford and the chevy will turn into scrap medel some day. PS: Ive had both
Old 08-30-2009, 06:58 PM
More for Less Racer

The drop-out Chevy rear is known to be a weak piece, especially the posi units, the internal gears are weak. A good hot 283 with a stick shift even on poor tires would eat one regularly back in the day. You might be better off selling the posi and axles to someone with an early vette or a vette restoration house. Use that money to do the 9" Ford.

The Chevy rear is early 8.2" ring gear and is about equal but a little less strong compared to an 8 " Ford. It's not considered a good piece, 350 hp will break it easily with good tires.

Are you sure it is the Chevy rear and not the much stronger Olds or Pontiac drop-out that the racers used to use in slingshot dragsters??
Old 08-30-2009, 07:15 PM

IF, it is the 55-64 Chevrolet rear end, there is hope, and it's plenty strong for anything that's not strictly "drag race". Go to BruneauPerformance.ca, a Canadian site. He runs a Super Stock 409 61 Chevrolet, and uses the stock, though modified, rear end. You can break ANY rear end, some just more easily than others. Is the car a "Gasser", or "Ex Gasser" turned street rod? An old Gasser, that used old technology tires in the 60's, could have very well been raced with a 55-64 rear.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:20 PM

Older Chevy Rearend

I am not sure if it is the older chevy, just going by what the previous owner had written down on the spec. sheet 20 years ago. I would like to see photos to be certain. I don't mind building the Ford 9" if the old chevy can't take it.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:54 PM
chigger

I run a Chrysler 8-3/4" with a Detroit Locker in my '55 Chevy. 3200 lb car with me in it and the only thing I ever broke was a stock axle. Car runs 10.60 @ 134 on 9" slicks. True it is not as strong as a 9" Ford but will be plenty strong enough for your application. Look for a late 60's to early 70's Plymouth like a Belvedere and you'll be set except for whatever gears you want. It will cost a lot less than a 9". The casting #742 is the better of the Chysler's rears.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:57 PM
chigger

Just an add on to my previous reply. I run a Borg-Warner ST-10 4 speed with that Chrysler 8 - 3/4 and I launch at 7500. It's a good rear especially for a light car and cheaper to build than a 9".

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.